Rye Whiskey

Started by cavenbk, 01/09/2014 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavenbk

Quotefrankj1 - 1/10/2014 11:53 PM short money- Old Overholt money no issue- Whistlepig rye is spicier than bourbon.

I actually just recently read an article about Whistlepig and that's what got me remembering that I have been wanting to branch out from my normal Irish Whisky and try soem Rye.

You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

lukin

High West Rendezvous Rye is one of the best whiskeys I've ever had.  Bulleit is a good rye and I normally have it around, but High West was awesome.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

metalhead y cigarguy

I've yet to try Rye Whiskey myself, but I've been tempted a few times to pick up some Bulleit.  However, I usually grab a bourbon instead.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

freakydeakydutchman

my goto drink is tullmore dew. its an irish whiskey and its really good. A good friend of mine brought me a bottle back from the Green isle once and i have been hooked ever since. Oh and did i forget to mention that he is irish as well......
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

cavenbk

1/12/2014  12:44 AM  my goto drink is tullmore dew. its an irish whiskey and its really good. A good friend of mine brought me a bottle back from the Green isle once and i have been hooked ever since. Oh and did i forget to mention that he is irish as well......[/QUOTE]

Now we're talking my language. Tullamore isn't bad, but I prefer Jameson over it honestly. Now, the wife and I went to Ireland this past year for our 1 year anniversary and while over there I had a couple of different Whisky's that I found to be really good. One of them, Redbreast 12 Year, you can find over here state side if you're lucky. The other, Yellow Spot, is NOT available in the states at all. I brought back a couple bottles with us, and for Christmas my awesome wife ordered me another bottle of the Yellow Spot from Ireland that is currently en-route. My wife knows how to win me over. :dancing:  

frankj1

Quotecavenbk - 1/10/2014  9:21 PM

Quotefrankj1 - 1/10/2014 11:53 PM short money- Old Overholt money no issue- Whistlepig rye is spicier than bourbon.

I actually just recently read an article about Whistlepig and that's what got me remembering that I have been wanting to branch out from my normal Irish Whisky and try soem Rye.

whistlepig is out of Vermont. the 10 year is around $65, the 11 year is maybe $80. recently saw a newer release with a name I can't recall for over $100.

jumberlack1

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 1/10/2014  2:51 PM

Templeton Rye.

If you can find this, you should really enjoy it. I know I do.
Making bad decisions a profession!

whodeeni

I tried a flight of High West Rye's at a local bar for $25.00 recently. I knew the bar tender so she gave
me very generous pours! I had all of them except the most expensive (which is no longer available
and apprx $134/btl) one. Their Standard Double Rye outshined them all and it's the most affordable!

I second the Ri 1 recommendation. Rittenhouse makes a great Old Fashioned (finally found a honey hole that sells it for apprx $15!)

I've heard people swearing up and down about Templeton's and Masterson's recently. (I used to see Masterson's
all the time up until recently...) When It comes back (supposedly this year) stock up on Wild Turkey 101 Rye!

I haven't brought myself to make a purchase, but one of these days I'm going to "Pony Up" and buy a bottle
of Whistle Pig 10yr just to see what all the fuss is about! They also have 11yr (apprx $100 here in Atlanta) and
Boss Hog (12yr Single Barrel) on the shelves right now. (Apprx $150)

On another note, Gary (Cigary43) has me !@#%$ed up on White Russians, and last night I invented my own
version of the Pink Nipple! Prior to his post last week, I wasn't drinking very many mixed Drinks... Now... I can't
stop! *lol*
If smoking cigars is on the Darkside, I don't ever
want to see the light!!!

Longhorn

Quotecavenbk - 1/12/2014  1:45 AM

1/12/2014  12:44 AM  my goto drink is tullmore dew. its an irish whiskey and its really good. A good friend of mine brought me a bottle back from the Green isle once and i have been hooked ever since. Oh and did i forget to mention that he is irish as well......

Now we're talking my language. Tullamore isn't bad, but I prefer Jameson over it honestly. Now, the wife and I went to Ireland this past year for our 1 year anniversary and while over there I had a couple of different Whisky's that I found to be really good. One of them, Redbreast 12 Year, you can find over here state side if you're lucky. The other, Yellow Spot, is NOT available in the states at all. I brought back a couple bottles with us, and for Christmas my awesome wife ordered me another bottle of the Yellow Spot from Ireland that is currently en-route. My wife knows how to win me over. :dancing:  

[/QUOTE]

The Yellow Dot and Green Dot are great whiskies.  Another from the "Green Isle" that's a must is the Powers 12y/o John's Lane release - simply fantastic.

conditionZero

I love rye, buy I can't fathom $150 for a bottle. For that kind of money, I'm getting a bottle of kick-ass scotch.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

cavenbk

Never had the Powers Brad. I'm running low on the Yellow Spot so my awesome wife ordered me another bottle straight from the Isle for Christmas. I might have to give Powers a try though. Is it available over here?

Longhorn

Quotecavenbk - 1/18/2014  7:12 PM

Never had the Powers Brad. I'm running low on the Yellow Spot so my awesome wife ordered me another bottle straight from the Isle for Christmas. I might have to give Powers a try though. Is it available over here?

No, it's not available in the U.S.  Should be able to get it where your wife shopped.  Was it the Celtic Whisky Shop by chance?

Brlesq

You guys keep resurrecting this damned thread, forcing me to go to the store this afternoon in search of a new Rye to try.  At the shop owner's recommendation, I got a bottle of WhistlePig Straight Rye. Enjoying it now with an LFD Chapter One.

This stuff is killer!  I have a new favorite!

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

cavenbk

I am still yet to go pick up some Rye. I am going to do it soon though. And Brad, yes that is where she got it, The Celtic Whisky Shop. I will take a look at the Powers.

1029henry

Buillet....can't beat it, especially for around $20 per bottle. $150 is way out of the question.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

conditionZero

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm trying a new-to-me rye. Benjamin Prichards. It seems like it has a faint flavor of unpeated Scotch, or maybe Irish whisky. That may not be accurate, but it's what it makes me think of. Either way, it's pretty good.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

cavenbk

I haven't been able to make a trip tithe state store yet and pick any Rye up. :( Hopefully things change soon and I can pick some up!

Ken Kelley

Quotefreakydeakydutchman - 1/11/2014  12:44 PM

my goto drink is tullmore dew. its an irish whiskey and its really good. A good friend of mine brought me a bottle back from the Green isle once and i have been hooked ever since. Oh and did i forget to mention that he is irish as well......

When I was stationed at Ramstein AB in Germany back in the early 70's we could pick up a jug of Tullamore Dew for less than $5 at the Class VI store. I've still got one of the old jugs in one of our curio cabinets. Good stuff!
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

sandy23

Quotelukin - 1/11/2014  7:32 PM

High West Rendezvous Rye is one of the best whiskeys I've ever had.  Bulleit is a good rye and I normally have it around, but High West was awesome.

Nice one...love this.

Kid Montana

My dad got me into rye recently and I asked him to try the Bulleit Rye.   He commented it is rather sweet, especially compared to the High West Double Rye that we both love, so it puts me off buying the Bulleit.  Any other must-try rye below a couple of jacksons?

I'd rather have a cigar...

conditionZero

QuoteKid Montana - 3/14/2014  10:05 AM  My dad got me into rye recently and I asked him to try the Bulleit Rye.   He commented it is rather sweet, especially compared to the High West Double Rye that we both love, so it puts me off buying the Bulleit.  Any other must-try rye below a couple of jacksons?

Interesting that you would say that. I love the High West Double Rye, but I thought that it was sweet compared to the Bulleit, not the other way around. 

--JOE--

Kid Montana

QuoteconditionZero - 3/14/2014  8:10 AM

Interesting that you would say that. I love the High West Double Rye, but I thought that it was sweet compared to the Bulleit, not the other way around. 

That is interesting. I suppose I'll just, "bite the bulleit," and buy some. ;)

I'd rather have a cigar...

conditionZero

I got a bottle of Knob Creek Rye last week that was pretty good. I'm not one to look to for recommendations though, I seem to like them all.
--JOE--

Handlera

Whistle Pig is very good, but expensive. I sometimes put it in a manhattan to change things up. I also substitute St. Germaine for the vermouth.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.