Rye Whiskey

Started by cavenbk, 01/09/2014 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wacco

If you can find it, Old Overholt is great, and under $20...
Amendment II. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

chief791

I recently had a chance to try Angels Envy Rye. It was fantastic.
"Well now I'm no hero, That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl, Is beneath this dirty hood"
From Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen

"Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry."

Buford T. Justice

blondie

I'll throw in my two cents. High west double rye. Bulliett. Templeton. Willet. Col Taylor. All very good. Rye and bourbon. My two faves with a good stick.

bigjohn20081983

You need some of this to help keep you warm.

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

87North

I've been really liking James E. Pepper 1776 Rye of late.  Almost too goo to drink...
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Longhorn

Quote87North - 11/22/2014  10:31 AM

I've been really liking James E. Pepper 1776 Rye of late.  Almost too goo to drink...

I think I saw a bottle of that the last time I was at the Party Source down in Kentucky... I'll have to grab some the next time I'm there.

ReinadoCigars

Some really great suggestions on here thanks to all. Must go shopping soon...

AndyCAYP

Looks like I'm resurrecting this one!

My go-to is Sazerac 6 since it's always in stock at a store about 25 minutes away. I also always have a bottle of Bulleit and George Dickel knocking around, they're both great for the pric. When I'm not under the watchful eye of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (and their state-run stores) I'll pick up High West Double, but it's surprisingly hard to get around here. My last bottle came home with me from Las Vegas.

Two local oddballs that I'm quite fond of: Wigle Deep Cut from Pittsburgh (wonderful treacle, molasses, orange, cinnamon and wood) and Five & 20 from Westfield, NY (LOADS of vanilla and spice). I'm down to my last bottle from the 1st batch of Five & 20 so I'll be picking up some of their 2nd batch soon. They have a great bourbon, too.

I'm also a fan of wheated bourbons. Been dying to try Larceny but it's nowhere to be found around here and (thanks again to my PA liquor overlords) I can't mailorder wine or spirits.

horrido

Try cc or alberta premium.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

87North

QuoteAndyCAYP - 2/4/2015  7:13 PM

Looks like I'm resurrecting this one!

My go-to is Sazerac 6 since it's always in stock at a store about 25 minutes away. I also always have a bottle of Bulleit and George Dickel knocking around, they're both great for the pric. When I'm not under the watchful eye of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (and their state-run stores) I'll pick up High West Double, but it's surprisingly hard to get around here. My last bottle came home with me from Las Vegas.

Two local oddballs that I'm quite fond of: Wigle Deep Cut from Pittsburgh (wonderful treacle, molasses, orange, cinnamon and wood) and Five & 20 from Westfield, NY (LOADS of vanilla and spice). I'm down to my last bottle from the 1st batch of Five & 20 so I'll be picking up some of their 2nd batch soon. They have a great bourbon, too.

I'm also a fan of wheated bourbons. Been dying to try Larceny but it's nowhere to be found around here and (thanks again to my PA liquor overlords) I can't mailorder wine or spirits.

If you are able to consistently get Sazerac then count yourself lucky.  That stuff's as rare as hens teeth around here.  As far as trying Larceny I had some a while back and it was killer.  A buddy of mine bought it and we were very pleasantly surprised.  On the rye front, I've been enjoying Michters Single barrel Us*1.  I'm just pretty sure it may be one of the best rye whiskey's for making up an Old Fashioned, that I've come across so far.
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

AndyCAYP

Quote87North - 2/14/2015  11:41 AMIf you are able to consistently get Sazerac then count yourself lucky.  That stuff's as rare as hens teeth around here.  As far as trying Larceny I had some a while back and it was killer.  A buddy of mine bought it and we were very pleasantly surprised.  On the rye front, I've been enjoying Michters Single barrel Us*1.  I'm just pretty sure it may be one of the best rye whiskey's for making up an Old Fashioned, that I've come across so far.
Surprisingly, I'm the only customer who consistently buys it. I'm not sure how they do it but every time I need a bottle it's on the shelf (they also do a fantastic job of keeping me stocked on Flor de Cana rums), so yeah, I consider myself very lucky!

cajun600

I love bourbons, all kinds, and trying new ones is one of my favorite past-times (see the "What Do You Do" thread for reference).  I will say, one of my top favorites is Rock Hill Farms single barrel, and for the price point its great.  Highly recommended.

http://www.buffalotracemediakit.com/bourbons.html#rock_hill

Griffin2020

QuoteAndyCAYP - 2/4/2015  7:13 PM

Larceny is, IMHO, only decent.  A little flat, a little bland.
Something to drink if there is no good whiskey available.

AndyCAYP

Quotecajun600 - 2/15/2015  9:55 AMI love bourbons, all kinds, and trying new ones is one of my favorite past-times (see the "What Do You Do" thread for reference).  I will say, one of my top favorites is Rock Hill Farms single barrel, and for the price point its great.  Highly recommended.http://www.buffalotracemediakit.com/bourbons.html#rock_hill
Rock Hill has been on my to-try list!Geez, I see so many names on that list that have corresponding bottles in my liquor cabinet right now... Blanton's, Buffalo Trace, Elmer Lee, Hancock's, Sazerac, Stagg Jr., Pappy 20 Year, & W.L. Weller Special Reserve. I guess I never really stopped to pay attention to how many of their products I've bought.

AndyCAYP

QuoteGriffin2020 - 2/24/2015  12:53 PM
QuoteAndyCAYP - 2/4/2015  7:13 PMI'm also a fan of wheated bourbons. Been dying to try Larceny but it's nowhere to be found around here and (thanks again to my PA liquor overlords) I can't mailorder wine or spirits.
Larceny is, IMHO, only decent.  A little flat, a little bland.Something to drink if there is no good whiskey available.
Thanks for your thoughts! Hopefully I can run into a bar or restaurant in Buffalo, NY that carries it so I can try just a few ounces instead of committing to a full bottle.

notageek

Has anyone tried the 1776 Pepper Rye? Just had their rye barrel aged stout recently and loved it.
"sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"

Hot Stuff x

Class 6 here on the US base I work on now has Bulleit Rye, so I picked up a bottle to try.  They also had Crown Royal 3L (!) bottles on sale for under $43.  What a bargain!  I couldn't pass that up.  I would have bought two, but  I have to wait to buy more because liquor is rationed on the base and I have to wait until next month to buy more.  :singing:
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

cajun600

QuoteAndyCAYP - 2/25/2015  11:20 AM

Quotecajun600 - 2/15/2015  9:55 AMI love bourbons, all kinds, and trying new ones is one of my favorite past-times (see the "What Do You Do" thread for reference).  I will say, one of my top favorites is Rock Hill Farms single barrel, and for the price point its great.  Highly recommended.http://www.buffalotracemediakit.com/bourbons.html#rock_hill
Rock Hill has been on my to-try list!Geez, I see so many names on that list that have corresponding bottles in my liquor cabinet right now... Blanton's, Buffalo Trace, Elmer Lee, Hancock's, Sazerac, Stagg Jr., Pappy 20 Year, & W.L. Weller Special Reserve. I guess I never really stopped to pay attention to how many of their products I've bought.

It's no 20yr Pappy...but you won't be disappointed!

Rammstein142

Ive been hooked on Bulleit Rye, specially since its been 18 dollars at the local liquor store lately.
"There is nothing more agreeable than having a place where one can throw on the floor as many cigar butts as one pleases without the subconscious fear of a maid who is waiting like a sentinel to place an ashtray where the ashes are going to fall."

"Ich kenne keine Parteien mehr, ich kenne nur noch Deutsche!" Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Die Schlacht ist gewonnen , haben die Engländer wurde völlig besiegt." Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource." John F. Kennedy

The Burn Ward

Found some Whistlepig and last bottle of Angels rye disappeared today?

Picked up a bottle of Chestnut Farm (Looks like Eagle Rare) that is pairing extremely well with my Viaje Satori.

Brlesq

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 2/27/2015  8:20 PM

Found some Whistlepig and last bottle of Angels rye disappeared today?

Picked up a bottle of Chestnut Farm (Looks like Eagle Rare) that is pairing extremely well with my Viaje Satori.

That Whistlepig is remarkable stuff!   :thumbsup:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

notageek

Quotenotageek - 2/27/2015  2:13 PM  Has anyone tried the 1776 Pepper Rye? Just had their rye barrel aged stout recently and loved it.

I guess no one here has tried the James Pepper1776 rye or bourbon?

notageek

They are based in Virginia.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.