Need Some Advice Friends

Started by 05Venturer, 01/14/2014 07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

OK Here is my problem. I recently found a nice Cigar Shop about an hour from my home. Really great guy runs it and they have a great selection of cigars and a really nice lounge to enjoy a smoke in. The problem is that I am really on a budget right now and I can get the same bundle of 25 sticks online for $60 that are gonna be $89 if I buy em at the shop. I wouldn't mind spending a little more to buy at a B&M but 33% is tough to swallow.
What would any of you do?  :confused:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

cavenbk

I try to support the B&M whenever possible. That being said, it's not always possible. This hobby/habit can get expensive, and sometimes it makes more sense to go the less expensive route. Just don't forget the shop totally. Just my .02 cents worth.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

johncw

I try and find a happy medium between my online buying and what i get at local B&Ms.

BewareDaPenguin

Yeah I got the same problem here at my B&M...you know they gotta cover cost, rent, payroll, inventory, etc. They provide a nice environment to smoke in. So I can see the owners view for sure, but with all the online buying going on auctions it's VERY competitive. It's nice to build a relationship with the owner and other regulars as they may be able to help you find harder cigars to get and have events etc. I have found myself just buying what I am going to smoke without waiting for shipping or a HTF cigar. It's good to support local business as well but most def larger purchases will be made online. This is just my opinion.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

05Venturer

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 1/14/2014  9:28 PM

Yeah I got the same problem here at my B&M...you know they gotta cover cost, rent, payroll, inventory, etc. They provide a nice environment to smoke in. So I can see the owners view for sure, but with all the online buying going on auctions it's VERY competitive. It's nice to build a relationship with the owner and other regulars as they may be able to help you find harder cigars to get and have events etc. I have found myself just buying what I am going to smoke without waiting for shipping or a HTF cigar. It's good to support local business as well but most def larger purchases will be made online. This is just my opinion.

Kinda what I am thinking is pick up a stick to smoke in the lounge while I am there and a couple new ones to take home and try. But my bulk purchases will have to be online.
It sux to be broke!   :sad:
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

sjn1117

I try to support local shops as much as possible but the online stores are hard to beat sometimes. Just remember there will always be B&M exclusives and one day that shop will have a sweet deal you can't pass up. It balances out. :smoker:
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

conditionZero

Quotejohncw - 1/14/2014  9:27 PM  I try and find a happy medium between my online buying and what i get at local B&Ms.

X2

It will be a sad day when our only two choices are Amazon and Walmart.

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

Longhorn

I always buy from the local B&M - even when there are times I know I can get the same cigar a little cheaper online.  But when I buy online I don't get to sit in the shop and spend time with friends (bringing cigars into a shop is akin to taking leftovers into a restaurant, in my opinion).  That shop owner pays the overhead for the lounge and I chalk up to the "price" for having a couple of hours of fun with friends.

1029henry

The B&M shops near where I live have really exorbitant prices (due to California's confiscatory taxation) and usually the RH in the walk-in humidors is way too high. I find I rarely buy local anymore. I usually smoke in my garage anyway, so the lounge really doesn't entice me.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

05Venturer

QuoteLonghorn - 1/14/2014  9:49 PM

I always buy from the local B&M - even when there are times I know I can get the same cigar a little cheaper online.  But when I buy online I don't get to sit in the shop and spend time with friends (bringing cigars into a shop is akin to taking leftovers into a restaurant, in my opinion).  That shop owner pays the overhead for the lounge and I chalk up to the "price" for having a couple of hours of fun with friends.

I would never think of bringing a cigar into a shop!!! I am only talking bulk purchases. Of course I will buy from the B&M that allows me to enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie of the shop. And as I said a little more would be a no brainer but 33% is just too much I think.
Kent

Rebecca Silverwolf

When I'm planning on smoking at a lounge, I have no problem paying the higher prices at a B&M. If I want to try a single of something new, I will pick it up at the local shop. Unfortunately, local tobacco prices do tend to be pretty steep here, and, like you, I don't have all the money I would like to spend on cigars. I combine local and internet purchasing.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Cfickter

It's a balance we all face. I am fully supportive of my B&Ms. But need to be smart about the differences vs on-line. In this case I would probably support the local shop. The benefits I see are free cigars from time to time especially at an event where the owner will stuff a few extras in. But like many have said. That is just my .02
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

The Burn Ward

Quote05Venturer - 1/14/2014  10:33 PM

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 1/14/2014  9:28 PM

Kinda what I am thinking is pick up a stick to smoke in the lounge while I am there and a couple new ones to take home and try. But my bulk purchases will have to be online.
It sux to be broke!   :sad:

There are a lot of good responses. I stay away from bundles usually, but if your shop has a great house blend then buy their bundle otherwise get the basic bundle for cheap online. I like to buy singles from the B&M and every once in a while buy the remainder of a box of something I enjoyed even if I can find it cheaper elsewhere.

BlackIrish

For the bundle you're describing, dont think of it in percentages.  Think of it as paying $30 for a comfortable place to smoke.  You probably drop that much coin in a bar in one night.  You don't need to buy every bundle from them but if you value the shop and lounge you should buy the occasional bundle and some singles more regularly.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Kman

One other thing to consider.... If you patronize the cigar shop and lounge and give some good business, you will be able to get things in return a lot of times. For me, there is a new local place that opened near me and I have gotten in well with the guys that own and work there. I don't buy exclusively from them, but I do buy a significant amount from them and am a member. The membership allows for discounts on purchases, as well as, 24/7 access to the lounge. One of the biggest benefits to me however, is that I have been able to secure the rights to some hard to find stuff. This store recently started to carry Liga Privada sticks and I was able to get them to sell me their first boxes of FFP's and Dirty Rats before they ever hit the shelves.

I also agree with the notion of never taking a cigar to a lounge. I just think that's the epitome of cheap and uncool. If I'm smoking in the lounge after hours, that's one thing, but during business hours, I always buy something there to smoke.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

MT21

A cigar shop that's an hour from your home is probably not a place that you will visit frequently. If you're on a tight budget, the fuel alone has to be taken into account on a 2 hour round trip.  Visit and support them when you can but you'll probably make most of your purchases on line.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

Vroomp

I will buy a few cigars a month at the local B&M but, have a way to circumvent the guilt of bringing in my own sticks by bringing the owner something hard to find every once in a while. It also helps that my B&M sells food and beverage which I take advantage of often and this seems to keep everyone happy!

One thing that should always be discouraged though, is talking openly with fellow customers about buying online.

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

05Venturer

QuoteMT21 - 1/14/2014  10:21 PM

A cigar shop that's an hour from your home is probably not a place that you will visit frequently. If you're on a tight budget, the fuel alone has to be taken into account on a 2 hour round trip.  Visit and support them when you can but you'll probably make most of your purchases on line.

+1000
This is exactly my point, I would be a different story if it was 15 minutes away. As it is I may get there once a month at best.
Kent

nwb

It is great to support the B&M - they do a lot to support our rights as cigar smokers and provide the last public sanctuaries for a nice cigar.

With that being said, almost all of my purchases are through B&Ms - they just aren't local B&Ms.  For everyday pricing, the big etailers and some of the large B&Ms with an internet presence are the cheapest.  However, if you shop around and follow events, a lot of times you can find even better deals at the smaller B&Ms.  For instance, I probably spend 75% of my cigar budget at two B&Ms - one out of Florida, and the other in Texas.  The one in Florida provides a 10% discount on EVERYTHING if you are a CRA member.  Then they have weekly and monthly specials for another 10%-20% off, which you can combine with the CRA discount.  The one in Texas has quarterly sales on everything in the store (with limited exclusions), with the discounts ranging from 15%-50% off.

I'm a very frugal buyer, but I've found the above to be the best of both worlds.
Chief of Shaft

nwb

In regards to bringing your own smokes to a B&M:

Although I don't visit local places often, when I do, I bring a small travel case with my own cigars.  I make sure to buy a few smokes at the B&M, but I tend to smoke something I bring with me, making sure that it is a cigar the place carries.  This is just my personal preference, since I like to let new purchases rest for a week or two.  I've never had a problem going that route, and no owner has even thought twice about it.  As Vroomp stated, I never talk about where I buy my smokes, either, as that will piss off a B&M faster than anything.
Chief of Shaft

Ol' Times CIgars

I wouldn't worry much about it. As a B&M we love the support we get from the regulars, but I know a large portion of the cigar smokers out there shop online. A lot of B&Ms have large over heads they need to cover. I have heard insane amounts for the larger well known B&Ms around the country. I wouldn't sweat buying online, like a few others said when you visit the B&M grab a stick or a few and they will appreciate the support. If you bring in a cigar just make sure you also purchase one there. I don't get that worked up about it, but I know a lot of shop owners that have a problem with bringing in your own. We try our best and I'm sure a lot of other retailers do, but it can be difficult to compete with some of the big online discounters. Especially when they are put a sale on products below wholesale cost. When you visit the B&M just relax, enjoy whatever cigar you decide to smoke and enjoy the camaraderie.
www.oltimescigars.com
Great cigars at great prices!

Cfickter

The main B&M I frequent requires you to buy that day if you use the lounge. I have no problem wit that because I benefit in the long fun. First I have a place to go when the weather is bad or I just need to get away. Second is like I mentioned earlier I get plenty of swag. Probably because of point one.
The 33% factor is relative to me. If you talking a five for $40 the. The 33% is maybe 13. But 33% of a $200 box is another story.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nwb

QuoteOl' Times CIgars - 1/16/2014  2:31 PM
...As a B&M we love the support we get from the regulars, but I know a large portion of the cigar smokers out there shop online. ....

That is a very understanding position.  Kudos. :thumbsup:
Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

I live so far back in the woods that I do 99.9% of my cigar shopping on line. However, when I do make it over to Lexington...about 60 miles away...I make a point of visiting Schwab's Pipes and Cigars and generally spent about $60 on average every month or so.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

ROTHNH

FWIW, I buy most of my cigars online.  That said, I also try to support the local shops (just two in this area).  I stop in and buy a cigar or three there every couple weeks or so.  Neither have amenities such as a lounge though.  If a local shop did have a lounge and I wanted to take advantage of it, I'd always buy the stick to smoke in the lounge right there in that shop.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.