Need Some Advice Friends

Started by 05Venturer, 01/14/2014 07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

QuoteOl' Times CIgars - 1/16/2014  1:31 PM

I wouldn't worry much about it. As a B&M we love the support we get from the regulars, but I know a large portion of the cigar smokers out there shop online. A lot of B&Ms have large over heads they need to cover. I have heard insane amounts for the larger well known B&Ms around the country. I wouldn't sweat buying online, like a few others said when you visit the B&M grab a stick or a few and they will appreciate the support. If you bring in a cigar just make sure you also purchase one there. I don't get that worked up about it, but I know a lot of shop owners that have a problem with bringing in your own. We try our best and I'm sure a lot of other retailers do, but it can be difficult to compete with some of the big online discounters. Especially when they are put a sale on products below wholesale cost. When you visit the B&M just relax, enjoy whatever cigar you decide to smoke and enjoy the camaraderie.

Thank You so much for your input!! I truthfully could not imagine bringing a stick from home into a B&M, that would be like bringing your own beer into a tavern. The B&M I am referring to is as I said before an hour+ away so I will frequent when possible and pick up a few sticks when I stop and do my bulk purchases online. I don't plan to buy many boxes/bundles until I figure out what I really like anyway. The bigger purchases I have made in the past have been discount/clearance stick for everyday bangin around.
Thanks everyone!!  :bigthumbs:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

freakydeakydutchman

If i had a B&M near me I would still order my high volume packs (10 or more) from the internet, However i would goto the B&M to try some of the ones i want to sure about. You know to test drive before getting the whole box. Also for the friendship and what not you get at a B&M! And it seems to me to be the best place in the world to sneak away from the wife and "forget" my phone at home
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

Camshaft83

I try to buy from B&Ms as much as possible but the closest one is 30 min from me. It has a pretty limited selection but what they do have is good. I'll usually stop on my way to lunch at the bar in town which is the only place in northern Utah you can sit down get good beer and food and hang out on the covered deck and smoke a cigar without anyone saying anything. My favorite is over an hour away so I don't get there often. Every time I go to the city its in I stop in and get a few singles of cigars I've been wanting to try. If the cigars from the B&Ms pan out I go online to buy in quantity because of the cheaper costs.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Ol' Times CIgars

Just in case any other B&Ms come across this thread... Support your local B&M! ;) I'm not encouraging online purchasing, just saying not to worry about it. ;)

I can relate to the high overhead, we had 4 locations all in local malls. We were lucky enough to get out of the malls with the high overhead and move in to free standing buildings (one of which we owned) and add lounges. With the decreased overhead we were able to adjust prices and try to stay more competitive, unfortunately a lot of the other B&Ms have high rents and crazy taxes in a few states.
www.oltimescigars.com
Great cigars at great prices!

05Venturer

QuoteOl' Times CIgars - 1/17/2014  1:36 PM

Just in case any other B&Ms come across this thread... Support your local B&M! ;) I'm not encouraging online purchasing, just saying not to worry about it. ;)

I can relate to the high overhead, we had 4 locations all in local malls. We were lucky enough to get out of the malls with the high overhead and move in to free standing buildings (one of which we owned) and add lounges. With the decreased overhead we were able to adjust prices and try to stay more competitive, unfortunately a lot of the other B&Ms have high rents and crazy taxes in a few states.
Agreed most definately support your local B&M, they are a great place to enjoy our hobby and meet some fine people. I just wish I would have had a chance to open up my own here in WI before all the smoking laws. No way to have a B&M with a lounge in WI anymore and my personal thought is that would be a necessity to make it prosperous.
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

ROTHNH

Quote05Venturer - 1/17/2014  6:59 PM

QuoteOl' Times CIgars - 1/17/2014  1:36 PM

Agreed most definately support your local B&M, they are a great place to enjoy our hobby and meet some fine people. I just wish I would have had a chance to open up my own here in WI before all the smoking laws. No way to have a B&M with a lounge in WI anymore and my personal thought is that would be a necessity to make it prosperous.

Well Kent, at least Scott Walker is on your side.

Aside:  At least here, unlike certain other sites, at Cigar Geeks, we're treated as adults and we can state our opinions without impunity as long as we respect our brothers and sisters and don't flame them.

05Venturer

Well Kent, at least Scott Walker is on your side.

Aside: At least here, unlike certain other sites, at Cigar Geeks, we're treated as adults and we can state our opinions without impunity as long as we respect our brothers and sisters and don't flame them.

Very True Roth
Kent

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.