Does anybody runs a Super Bowl contest?

Started by BewareDaPenguin, 01/20/2014 06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncw

QuoteStogieDad - 1/21/2014  8:35 AM

One idea, kind of like the Newbie pass last month.  We could take 4 quarter winners.  Compile a list of "buy-in" cigars, then have a round robin pick from the 4 winners.  It worked out quite nicely on there.  Then you just ship your buy-ins directly to the winner that picked them.

Then you don't have to worry about fairness for the 4 winners, everyone gets equal shot at what they want from the pool.

Someone maybe sending cigars to 4 different people. Lets say i buy 4 squares and each one of my cigars is selected by a different winner. Seems like a lot of extra postage. Unless I'm missing something here. I see this was already brought up. :shy:

conditionZero

QuoteStogieDad - 1/21/2014  8:54 AM  
QuoteconditionZero - 1/21/2014  9:51 AM  

QuoteStogieDad - 1/21/2014  8:48 AM  Sorry, missed your volunteer above brother....proceed :biggrin:

Not a problem, just trying to help out.

I think the round robin idea sounds pretty cool, as long as no one minds having to ship their share to multiple winners? 

I don't personally mind shipping out 4 if I have to.  I do like your idea of picking 5 at a time in the roundrobin though.  The only problem is that is assuming everyone picks 5 squares, noone can get in for less than that.

The other thing would be that we'll need to fill up the board. If there are 4 winners and only 10 losers then it won't even out. I'm alright with a buy in of 5 sticks.

One more thing... should we post the cigars we're putting up when we buy our squares, or when the game is over and it's time to start choosing? 

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

mike.casey

QuoteStogieDad - 1/21/2014  8:48 AM  Sorry, missed your volunteer above brother....proceed :biggrin:

I think the round robin idea sounds pretty cool, as long as no one minds having to ship their share to multiple winners? 

I don't personally mind shipping out 4 if I have to.  I do like your idea of picking 5 at a time in the roundrobin though.  The only problem is that is assuming everyone picks 5 squares, noone can get in for less than that.

I don't think anyone that want's in will have a problem putting up sticks in multiples of 5. If you buy in for more than 5 (10 or 15) then you assume the liability of sending to multiple winners.

I say everybody that want's 5 now, gets 5, then if there are still squares open the Wednesday (arbitrary day) before the game, then we can open it up for guys that are already in.
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Beegerply

This looks like it can be fun I'm in if it all gets worked out.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

johncw

Quotelubrix - 1/21/2014  9:01 AM

I am confused already!.

X2 i'm just going to wait for the final details

StogieDad

Quotemike.casey - 1/21/2014  10:00 AM

I don't think anyone that want's in will have a problem putting up sticks in multiples of 5. If you buy in for more than 5 (10 or 15) then you assume the liability of sending to multiple winners.

I say everybody that want's 5 now, gets 5, then if there are still squares open the Wednesday (arbitrary day) before the game, then we can open it up for guys that are already in.

yep!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

mike.casey

We'll need an entry thread that requires geeks to fill out an entry form...

Name: Nirab

First Entry: White Owl; White Owl Pinapple; White Owl Grape; Swisher Sweet; Black and Mild Sour Apple

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think  a 5er with a total value of $25 to $50 should be good enough to get quality sticks, but also be open to everybody, and since we are 'drafting' the winnings, it will be the most fair.

I assume the draft order will be: Final Score -> Halftime Score -> 3rd Quarter -> 1st Quarter
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

conditionZero

Quotejohncw - 1/21/2014  9:03 AM  
Quotelubrix - 1/21/2014  9:01 AM  I am confused already!.
X2 i'm just going to wait for the final details

I got it figured out. Stay tuned. 

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

conditionZero

Quotemike.casey - 1/21/2014  9:15 AM  We'll need an entry thread that requires geeks to fill out an entry form...  Name: Nirab  First Entry: White Owl; White Owl Pinapple; White Owl Grape; Swisher Sweet; Black and Mild Sour Apple  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  I think  a 5er with a total value of $25 to $50 should be good enough to get quality sticks, but also be open to everybody, and since we are 'drafting' the winnings, it will be the most fair.   I assume the draft order will be: Final Score -> Halftime Score -> 3rd Quarter -> 1st Quarter

That's what I was thinking.

If the same person wins all four quarters then this will be much simpler! 

--JOE--

conditionZero

Lots of good ideas here. I'm sure that with more time we could have put something together that would run a little smoother. However, if we all just stick with the spirit of the contest, and remember that it's for FUN, then all should be well.

If it turns into a giant mess then I'll just dump it in StogieDad's lap.

Here you go... 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=27384.0

--JOE--

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.