Smoking Inside

Started by 05Venturer, 01/28/2014 07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

I started a conversation on this topic on another forum and would like to see the replies from this community as I see the same complaints about not smoking in the cold here.

I am reading all the posts about people not smoking due to the cold weather around the country and find it hard to believe that so many people have significant others that will not allow you to enjoy your hobby in your own home. For some I am sure it may be personal preference not to smoke in the house, but I hear others complain that that are not allowed. I say remember that you BOTH live there. My wife was not very fond at first of me making my smoking room, but now rarely says a word about it as she realizes we both make sacrifices for each other to keep each other happy. Compromise is a big part of any relationship in my book.
I smoke outdoors when I want and I smoke in my den when I want. I keep a air purifier running in the winter and window open in summer.
Give and Take, it works both ways.
I am interested in everyone's views on this subject.   :thumbsup:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

1029henry

I agree with you. I've never been a big fan of the "Yes Dear" type of behavior. My wife and I both make equal pay, and we both do pretty much what we want.I don't smoke indoors because here in SoCal I can smoke in my garage year-round.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

sjn1117

I don't smoke inside by my choice. My wife is a cigarette smoker and she feels the same way. Though I love the smell of cigars I would rather not have the smell permeate everything in the house. Plus I have children that I don't want to subject to clouds of smoke. Just my .02.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Kman

I think there are a lot more factors involved than just being a "Yes Dear" person. How much room does someone have? Can they afford to give up a room to a smoking den? Is there someone with asthma or other repository issues in the house? Does the significant other just not stand the smell of smoke? Yes, some things can be compromised on but others can't. Some people have hard limits due to any number of factors. Myself, I smoke in the enclosed porch in the winter which becomes a screened in porch in the summer. If it gets too cold, I can fire some heat up or head to a local B&M. I think pigeon-holing anyone who doesn't smoke in their house in winter as a Yes Mam type is far too simplistic.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Camshaft83

I don't smoke inside my house but I have a garage that I smoke in. Not as warm as inside but better then standing out in the elements.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

BewareDaPenguin

I don't smoke in-doors for a couple reasons...1) I don't have a designated smoking room...when we buy a bigger house I'm building a man cave/ den with some filtration/ ventilation 2) smoke gives my wife pretty bad migraines/ headaches...3) I workout a lot and smoking in-doors is a lot harder on me then smoking outdoors, and I can enjoy if a lot more outside. Relationships are give and take tho for sure, and once my wife and I build or move into our next house she knows I'm getting some type of designated smoking area with filtration! She wouldn't have a problem with that, and if there's a good filtration system in the room it won't kill me 2 much either. It's even hard for me to sit in the B&M we have here when it gets busy...he doesn't have the best ventilation system and I'm a cigar smoker and it starts to get 2 me after a while if there's a lot of ppl in there.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

1029henry

Yeah, I probably would not like to have  stale cigar smoke in any room in my house, anyway.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

SenorPablo

For me its all mostly about having 3 kids running around that i dont want to subject to it.  But I also don't want everything smelling like it for awhile.  BUT, if I can ever get my basement finished and put in decent ventilation in a seperate room/man cave then things might be different.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

cavenbk

I don't smoke inside because I rent and the landlord doesn't allow it.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Rebecca Silverwolf

I don't smoke inside for a few reasons. At my own home, I live with other people, some of whom smoke cigarettes, and smoking is done outside or in the garage. Living in Southern California, this rarely presents too much of an obstacle. I really don't like the idea of cigar smell permeating everything I own. My boyfriend is also a cigar smoker, and he doesn't smoke inside his apartment either. We both agree on this policy, and if we get a place together, we still won't smoke indoors. (Unless we build a well ventilated cigar lounge.)

Yes, relationships are a give and take situation, which also includes being courteous to your significant other, if you expect them to be courteous to you. If your S.O. decides they really can't stand smoking in the house, and you insist on doing so, be prepared for them to be unhappy about it. A non-smoker has just as many rights in the house as a smoker, and it may require some compromise. If you have the space for a designated smoking room, that is great. If you don't, I can understand not wanting it in the rest of the house.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Joelala

I prefer not to smoke inside. I am still new to the hobby but maybe as time goes on my views will change. I just rather not have the smoke around new son. Personal preference.
Joe

LawDaddy

Don't like stale cigar smoke in my house.  Neither does my wife.  Even if I did, I wouldn't feel the need to force the issue to prove my manhood.

Cfickter

I prefer not to smoke inside because, like many, don't want the smell permeating furniture, clothes, family's clothes, etc...  I will smoke in the garage at times and also have an outside heater.  One advantage I may also have is work.  We have a large empty warehouse behind our offices.  About 3 or 4 of use will go there over lunch and have a cigar.  Just about everyday.  So I can at least get that one in and perhaps a few shorties here and there.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

styxxx

I smoke inside when it's cold or just when I feel like it. I have no den or smoking room. I feel if she don't like it she can go to the bedroom or else where.
Styxx,

If you win say nothing,if you lose say less.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=styxxx

conditionZero

It's certainly true that if I decided to smoke in the house there would be an epic battle. But, it's a non-issue. I wouldn't want to subject my wife, kids, guests to it. I would also like to sell my house one day, and the smell of stale smoke will rule out a large number of potential buyers.

Our oldest boys moved out last year, leaving us with an empty bedroom which will eventually become my "study". When I can foot the bill for proper ventilation and air purification systems, I'll smoke in there.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

05Venturer

I was not trying to start anything here. I was just looking for different views on this. I also do not want my home smelling of smoke is why I contain it to one room. I am not trying to "  force the issue to prove my manhood." I am sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention. I just see people that make it sound like they are forced out or the so called "war dept" doesn't allow it. I just thought of my situation with a understanding spouse and wanted to get the views of others. I respect anyone's decision to not smoke in their home, I disrespect anyone that tries to blame it on their significant other to make themselves feel better about it.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

conditionZero

I don't think you offended anyone. I also think that a lot of the "wife makes me smoke outside" talk is just joking around.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

MikePA

There's a big difference between the smell of a burning cigar and yesterday's cigar smell lingering in your home. I hate that smell and don't want my house to smell like that. I have a small, unheated mudroom that I retreat to now in winter. I bought a small ceramic heater that works well. It's a good compromise although I still prefer smoking outside as it's easier on my lungs and my clothes don't stink as much afterwards. Someday I hope to have a room with an air purification/ventilation/smoke eater in it when I win the lottery... until then I'll choose to smoke out of the house. I think my aversion to the stale smoke smell comes from many years of playing with bands in bars... whenever I open my gigging guitar cases the smell of stale smoke and beer is overwhelming and disgusting.

StogieDad

I think a lot of us exaggerate the battle for emphasis.  I smoke in the walkout part of my basement or garage with doors open.  If not, I don't smoke.  No battle.  She cant stand the smell.  I don't want my daughter to deal with it.  I don't want to smell stale smoke.  Simple, no fight.  It just is what it is.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

toby2

I smoke inside but I have a large home with enough space for a smoking room/man cave. my wife loves it and will have one with me from time to time. filtration, exhaust and make up air can be a big obstacle for many budgets. i'm lucky that its what I do for a living. i'm sure I would smoke outside, and much less, if I didn't have a spot like I do inside. as far as the relationship angle goes I've heard "if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy" and "you can be right or you can be happy. you can't be both". seems like sound advice. :biggrin:

Vroomp

I WILL be smoking inside today! My kitchen vent is placed flush on the ceiling and does a good job of exhausting all smoke in the house.

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

lubrix

I am fortunate to smoke inside.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

johncw

As most people have said I choose not to smoke inside because of the stale smoke smells. I also have 2 little ones that I don't want to subject them to the smoke as well. I'm still new to the hobby myself and at somepoint I may try and close off a room with ventilation in the basement. Right now I go into the garage if I need to or wait for a nice day. Or I may have one on the way to or from work.

If figure if nothing else the winter will allow my cigars to age and I can enjoy them in the spring :)

Ken Kelley

I will smoke in the house on rare occasions and only when my wife is gone for several days. However, do have a perfectly good shop with a barrel stove and a mobile cigar lounge. Both of those are my domains and I will do what I want in them!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

sauraspop

Having been married to my bride 45+ years, I finally learned a few years back that it wasn't too bad to start losing your hearing. After years of her griping about my cigars I just realized it is much more enjoyable to smoke outside where I can't hear her and it's peaceful when I finally come back in the house. Last time I lit up in the garage because it was really too cold and windy outside (actually just a couple nights ago) I set off the fire alarm. Believe me, I was able to hear the results of that. I enjoy my cigars too much to disturb the peace.
Sammy - Semper Vigilis

Be carful what you wish for, You may get it! Ray Wylie Hubbard (Mother Blues)

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake. ~ Cliffy ~

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.