Hygrometer salt-test; timeframe

Started by hebron, 05/03/2014 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

I just finished the salt test on a new cheap hygrometer from China, I have many of these but this one seemed to take a bit longer to reach the desired value:

12 hours : 72%
18 hours : 73%
36 hours : 74%

I wrapped up the test after 36 hours. Might of course be that my salt solution differed this time from my previous tests, hard to say for sure.

Would you regard this as 1% off, or would you have aborted the test earlier :?:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

05Venturer

My personal opinion is if it's that close you should be good to go. I personally don't think that 1-2 percent one way or the other is gonna cause issues. Especially if you run you humi closer to the 65-68 range as I do.
That's just my opinion I am sure some of the veterans will have a more concise answer.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

hebron

Quote05Venturer - 5/4/2014  9:24 AM

My personal opinion is if it's that close you should be good to go. I personally don't think that 1-2 percent one way or the other is gonna cause issues. Especially if you run you humi closer to the 65-68 range as I do.
That's just my opinion I am sure some of the veterans will have a more concise answer.
I use 65% Boveda in my tupperdors and 69% in the wooden humidor. Seems I've been quite lucky with my hygrometers so far, all within 2% :-) As I have probably mentioned before; I am overly concerned with my storage conditions...
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

ntanner

Im not as detail oriented as you are Thomas  but I would call it as 1 off and in about 90 days or so re check it with a salt test to see if it is still the same. I have had a couple that took longer to reach the final reading as well. Not sure why. Im sure Jason could explain it. I also found that after a few months in the humi when I rechecked them they didn't take as long to even out. I did have one change by a couple point's though.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Mojo66

This happens to me as well with my Chinese ones. 12 hours is usually what it takes to reach the desired 75 but sometimes it's at 73% and will reach 75 if I leave it in for 4-6 hours more. Don't know why, would love to know but I'm with Kent on this, 1-2 percent difference one way or the other can't really hurt, can it?
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

hebron

Good idea, I'll recheck it after some time and see if it behaves the same. I always leave them for at least 24 hours after getting them before doing the salt test, so that they stabilize and acclimatize.

I do agree with Kent cigar storage wise. I'm just a sucker for specs and details, hehe  :crazy:

Thanks for the input guys  :thumbsup:
- Thomas

DonM

Quotehebron - 5/4/2014  4:09 AM

Quote05Venturer - 5/4/2014  9:24 AM

I use 65% Boveda in my tupperdors and 69% in the wooden humidor. Seems I've been quite lucky with my hygrometers so far, all within 2% :-) As I have probably mentioned before; I am overly concerned with my storage conditions...

1 to 2 % isn't bad but it looks like your Caliber IV and Xikar are on the money.  I have the Caliber III with good results, and will probably buy another IV soon

"The Curmudgeon"

hebron

QuoteDonM - 5/4/2014  10:12 PM
1 to 2 % isn't bad but it looks like your Caliber IV and Xikar are on the money.  I have the Caliber III with good results, and will probably buy another IV soon
Actually I haven't checked the Xikar yet, that's why it's missing the "measured" value. I'm prepping the test as we speak :-)

The Caliber IV was dead on and can be calibrated, very pleased with it.
- Thomas

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.