What is happening with the humidity?

Started by hebron, 02/25/2014 12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

Thank you all for your feedback, this has been nagging me for some time now. I now know what to do! This community is a great resource  :bigthumbs:  :smoker:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

bmac7754

Thomas, I think the correct thing to do is send all your cigars to us and we will smoke them and tell you if they were still good.  Then they won't be in your way while you reseason your humidor
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

hebron

Seasoning of the humidor has began!
:smoker:

Quotebmac7754 - 2/26/2014  4:52 PM

Thomas, I think the correct thing to do is send all your cigars to us and we will smoke them and tell you if they were still good.  Then they won't be in your way while you reseason your humidor

Hehe, I do not think my collection would cause much excitement ;-) But I do appreciate you putting yourself out there like that  :smoker2:

How long can one store cigars in zip-lock bags without humidification like Boveda packs?
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

mike.casey

I didn't see anyone post this above, but to save you from possible confusion down the road...

A Hydrometer is used to measure relative gravity in liquids. Often for finding the ABV in liquor.

A Hygrometer is used to measure relative humidity in a space. Often for maintain humidors for cigar collections.
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

hebron

Quotemike.casey - 2/26/2014  6:52 PM

I didn't see anyone post this above, but to save you from possible confusion down the road...

A Hydrometer is used to measure relative gravity in liquids. Often for finding the ABV in liquor.

A Hygrometer is used to measure relative humidity in a space. Often for maintain humidors for cigar collections.

Thanks Mike, I've had that wrong for years... Apparently...  :shamebag:
- Thomas

mike.casey

No worries, we all make mistakes every day.

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

conditionZero

Quotemike.casey - 2/26/2014  1:26 PM  No worries, we all make mistakes every day.

Hay! Speek for your self! 

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

mike.casey

QuoteconditionZero - 2/26/2014  1:37 PM

Quotemike.casey - 2/26/2014  1:26 PM  No worries, we all make mistakes every day.

Hay! Speek for your self! 

:biggrin:

I certainly am... I guess I should say, I make mistakes every day.

Ron White

hebron

"Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others."
-- Brandon Mull, Fablehaven
- Thomas

hebron

So, this morning the hygrometer (thanks Mike) showed 62%. Do I take the bowl of water out when it reaches 65%? Or leave it in longer?

I have four 65% Boveda packs in with the sterile water.
- Thomas

DonM

I would leave it in.  At 62 the wood is probably still drawing in some moisture.  Give it another day and see where it is at.  Patience is a virtue when seasoning a humidor

"The Curmudgeon"

hebron

QuoteDonM - 2/27/2014  1:22 PM

I would leave it in.  At 62 the wood is probably still drawing in some moisture.  Give it another day and see where it is at.  Patience is a virtue when seasoning a humidor

It's now 67%, so I think I'll remove it later this afternoon. Check the humidity after another 24 hours, and start introducing the cigars if anything is ok :-)

Just received two Padron 1924 Series, No.2 and No.9. So need my humidor in good shape  :smoker:
- Thomas

hebron

Update: Had dish with sterile water and four 65% Boveda packs in for 48 hours, after which the humidity was 69%. Removed dish and let stabilize for 36 hours, after which the humidity was 65%. Added first batch of cigars.

Did salt test on the digital hygrometer and got 73%. Humidity levels in this post include the 2% offset.
 :smoker2:
- Thomas

DonM

Looks like you became an expert in seasoning humidors, glad it worked out for you

"The Curmudgeon"

Mojo66

Glad to hear all is well. Gotta have a nicely seasoned humi for those Padrons, they are great sticks.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

ntanner

Patience is defiantly the key. Glad you got youre's up and going.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

hebron

20 sticks have gone in, Padrons included :-) Humidity dropped to 63%, but could just be because the humidor was open for a bit. 20 more sticks tomorrow. Thank you all for your support, this has been a great learning experience for me :-)
- Thomas

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.