Cigar storage in zip-lock bags

Started by hebron, 03/10/2014 02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Kelley

Quotegitfiddl - 3/10/2014  9:04 AM

QuoteconditionZero - 3/10/2014  8:41 PM

:lmao:

There goes this thread...

What?  It's all about storage.  I hear tell that Ken's looking for a zip-loc to fit this guy...

Heh! It's not that easy to catch up onct you're so far behind!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

akira

QuoteconditionZero - 3/10/2014  9:56 AM

Quotesauraspop - 3/10/2014  11:18 AM  Just wondering, why is it that you should only keep cigars in zip locks for a few days or weeks when the makers of cigars shrink wrap their boxes and then stack them on other shrink wrapped boxes, for years and years, before they are sold or distributed to retailers. Then the retailer also leaves the boxes shrink wrapped, if they got them that way from the wholesaler, and delivers them that way to their customers. Anybody that ever bought a box online, it probably came shrink wrapped. Seems to me if the RH and temperature is stable where you want it, then why not store in baggies? I recently bought a bunch of the 5 finger baggies to store my stash and have planned to keep each baggie sealed for long time storage (which probably won't be more than a few years for most of them (as I will be going in and out of my coolidors every week or so to replenish my daily wooden humis). Just my two cents. If I am wrong about this tell me why please.

Sammy, the shrink wrapped boxes that you speak of are (hopefully) kept in a properly humidified environment. Thomas is asking about Ziploc bags as the sole source of protection against the elements. That's the difference, if I'm understanding this thread and your question properly.

Based on what I've read around here, I don't know if you want to store your collection in those finger bags long-term since they don't breathe very well.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

hebron

This thread really veered off at some point  :lmao:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Ken Kelley

Quotehebron - 3/10/2014  2:32 PM

Heh! That is nothing at all unusual on this site...more the rule than the exception. This one is fairly benign though. :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

gitfiddl

QuoteKen Kelley - 3/11/2014  6:20 AM

Quotehebron - 3/10/2014  2:32 PM

Heh! That is nothing at all unusual on this site...more the rule than the exception. This one is fairly benign though. :biggrin:

:word: Wait until these guys hear Bob talk about feet!
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

tvolball

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

jumberlack1

I really don't see the difference between putting cigars in a ziploc bag with a boveda pack and putting them into a tupperdor with a boveda pack. I had to ship my sticks and they were in ziplocs with a boveda in each, then put lots of the bags into coolers and Tupperware. they spent 2 months on a ship crossing the pacific, and another month getting moved around in country before they were opened. not a single boveda pack was at all crispy, the cigars look, smell, and smoke like anything else i have had. I think that the key is trying to control the swings in temperature and humidity. that's just my opinion, i have had no problems, however ymmv.
Making bad decisions a profession!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.