Another ashtray review

Started by Aequitas86, 06/11/2009 03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aequitas86

On my trip to NY, I picked up a Bobken style ashtray (in thought of being able to smoke on the way) and decided to write up a little review for y'all.

For those who do not know, Bobken ashtrays are designed to capture ash and self extinguish smoky treats....Both cigar and cigarette. That being said they have several styles designed for the different sized sticks. They are designed to fit in either a cup holder or hang on the window frame of a vehicle. The Cigar style boasts a large ribbed holder for the cigar and a large funnel to drop the ash in. Their website is http://bobken.com/

Down to the nitty gritty. I love the concept of this ash tray. In theory it is a user friendly device to trap the oder and ash making it a luxury for smoking on the go. In practice I found several problems in the theory. My biggest issue was the ash constantly falling from the cigar while it was on the window frame, which was only a small annoyance. It faired much better in a cup holder.  The next downside was the part of the funnel that goes down into the cup. It could only take about a 54 ring gauge of cigar, once again a small annoyance. My biggest beef with it was the fact that one cigar starts to plug up the system. There simply is just not enough room in the holder and the funnel is way to long.

The pros are pretty cool. It does have a pretty large ash holder (before it falls thorough the tunnel)  The cigar rest is pretty deep and holds the cigar really well. Ive tried to roll it out by moving the tray and driving more than aggressively. The ribs and the length of the rest really holds it in place.

All in all it is an ok ashtray for 5 bucks. I am gonna try to modify it by cutting the funnel down to improve space. Hopefully this will allow two sticks to be disposed of before it needs to be emptied. For home use, I'm gonna stick with my two finger 5 Vegas Limitada ash tray.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

lowpro75

I went to the website.  I can't figure out how it works, it looks like a regular ashtray.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Aequitas86

Forgive me of my poor paint skills. This is a crude cross section. Also, the cigar rest is connected to the cap (the upper rectangle, which is also where the funnel is connected)

Hope it helps

lowpro75

I see now.  Thanks for the picture.  You didn't have to go to the trouble.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Aequitas86

I was bored and on my break. I like pictures as well. :biggrin:

gitfiddl

Those ashtrays are cool and all, but I've scored freebies enough from gigs that I don't need to pay for one for the house.  As for the cars, my lap and belly, and the steering wheel and dash are fine repositories for ash.  I'm a cigar smoker and damn proud of it!  Odor, Schmodor!  If you don't like the smell of my cigar, just wait till I fart! :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  And you're wife is fat and ugly too!  You should have married her sister!
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Rebecca Silverwolf

Really neat concept, thanks for sharing.  :shades:
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

DePixeler

+1 as far as I'm concerned.  I have this (purchased cheap from a JR brick and mortar store).  I bought it to use in my convertible, and it's effective at keeping the ashes where they should be.  No more trying to ash into a coke can!  In fact, I move it to the patio and use it as my only ashtray there too.  It just works.  In fact, I'm using it now!

junglepete

Quotegitfiddl - 6/11/2009  7:35 PM

Those ashtrays are cool and all, but I've scored freebies enough from gigs that I don't need to pay for one for the house.  As for the cars, my lap and belly, and the steering wheel and dash are fine repositories for ash.  I'm a cigar smoker and damn proud of it!  Odor, Schmodor!  If you don't like the smell of my cigar, just wait till I fart! :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  And you're wife is fat and ugly too!  You should have married her sister!

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Duker511

Finally, someone else that cares enough to do ashtray reviews!!! I love ashtrays and I collect them along with everything else tobacco related.
Tim

Jackal

I like the concept; sounds like it was originally made for cigarettes and they need to scale it up a little better for cigars.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

cmsevert

I have cup holders in the doors of my car and have one of these in the drivers door.  Works great, but I have also found that it can't hold more than a couple of cigars before it gets backed up.  Just have to empty it every once and awhile and you're good.

Aequitas86

I too love ashtrays. After I mod mine, I will let you know how it fairs.

gitfiddl

I meant no disrespect. It's a neat idea, but in my 43 years on this big blue ball, I've yet to find anything that works in an automobile the way it was intended.  The ashtrays in our house are mostly bake-lite things that found their way into my gig-bag or marble/onyx things from my Dad's travels overseas  Honestly, my favorite cigar ashtray is actually a glazed clay spoon-holder that was originally meant to sit beside your stove-top and collect the grease from your spoon, ladle, spatula, or whatever else you might be using to cook dinner with.  I picked it up at a flea market for $1.  It looks like it might have been a third-grader's pottery project.  If you've seen the movie "Beetlejuice", lay the Mom's sculpture down and extend what would be the handle an inch or two...My kids have toasted my camera or I post a pic!
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

gitfiddl

Quotejunglepete - 6/11/2009  11:43 PM

Quotegitfiddl - 6/11/2009  7:35 PM

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

I'm glad you saw the humor in that.  I forgot to close my browser and my wife read that to my sister-in-law...that's why I'm typing this quietly at 2:47AM...sssshhhh...you'll wake the Kraken!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.