FDA wants to buy a cigar smoking machine...WTF

Started by amigodecigars, 02/29/2016 10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigodecigars

As the cigar industry awaits just what kind of regulation it will be facing from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), many have wondered just how the agency will be able to process the thousands of requests for product approval that will flood its office.

Earlier this week, a request was made by the FDA to purchase a “cigar smoking machine with CO analyzer,” which published on the Federal Business Opportunities website.

Specifically, the FDA is seeking to purchase a Cerulean SM410CV, a machine capable of smoking and analyzing ten cigars that measure up to 200 mm in length and 22.5 mm in diameter, roughly a 7 7/8 x 56 cigar.  According to the notice, FDA is looking for a machine that will be able to “simulate human cigar smoking under a variety of conditions and to collect smoke residues for further regulatory chemical analysis,” while helping increase the lab’s capabilities to analyze cigar smoke products. Given that FDA is specifically looking at carbon monoxide in cigar smoke, it could provide some insight as to a standard that manufacturers will have to adhere to once an announcement regarding premium cigar regulation is announced.  The request closes on Monday, Feb. 29 at noon Eastern. According to the request, the machine would be located in FDA’s Southeast Regional Laboratory in Atlanta, Ga. Pricing for the unit was not immediately available.

http://halfwheel.com/cigar-smoking-machine-sought-by-fda/108303

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Joelala

Joe

Jackal

So, will all of those Cuban cigars that will supposedly be hitting the B&M shelves by September need to go through FDA approval?

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

raize

If this thing is limited to 56RG, that seems a little short-sighted in its capabilities.  While many of the comically large (70+RG) cigars would be out of the running, many of the recently popular 60RG sticks wouldn't be able to be tested either.  Wonder what their solution to that is...
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=raize

Ted

headfirst

And all they really had to do was engage this website, we'll test 'em for you!   :-)
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

toby2

and that's why i just keep stocking up....

nirab

yea, this is such a pressing matter...  :crazy:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

tjm0831

Jackal

Quoteraize - 2/29/2016  12:11 PM

If this thing is limited to 56RG, that seems a little short-sighted in its capabilities.  While many of the comically large (70+RG) cigars would be out of the running, many of the recently popular 60RG sticks wouldn't be able to be tested either.  Wonder what their solution to that is...

Knowing the government, if it doesn't fit in the machine that they arbitrarily chose, then it must be banned.  :mad:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Brlesq

Quotetoby2 - 2/29/2016  3:32 PM

and that's why i just keep stocking up....

x2.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Vroomp

I think CRA just needs to go on a fundraising drive and buy the FDA~! :shades:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Ted

And yet the FDA let douchebags like this roll right over the sick...

C130Driver

As a matter of personal opinion, I think both marijuana and tobacco should be legal... but what I can't wrap my head around is the politicians who seem to most favor legalizing marijuana also seem to be most favor banning or restricting tobacco use... it just doesn't compute.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

amigodecigars

• Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is  the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium  cigars. This week, Senator Steve Daines [R-Montana] signed on as a  co-sponsor. The total sponsor count is now 21.
  • House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House  Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week,  Rep Tom Marino [R-Pennsylvania] signed on as a co-sponsor. The total  number of sponsors remains is now 159.
  • House Bill 2058:  H.R. 2058 is  the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA  regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are  put into effect. This week, two new co-sponsors Bill Johnson [R-Ohio]  and Charles Boustany Jr [R-Louisiana] were added. The total number of  sponsors is now 51.
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Cigary

QuoteC130Driver - 2/29/2016  10:51 PM  As a matter of personal opinion, I think both marijuana and tobacco should be legal... but what I can't wrap my head around is the politicians who seem to most favor legalizing marijuana also seem to be most favor banning or restricting tobacco use... it just doesn't compute.

Pot will most likely be legalized in the next few years as it slowly creeps around the country towards totally legalization.  Pot will be a cash cow for the Gov't to tax and regulate and the slow process is being eyeballed by the Gov't to detail how best to tax it...just like cigarettes and cigars and booze and any other vice that people want to deal with.  The Gov't doesn't care one whit about anything else except as to how they can squeeze taxes from the populace....it's how Gov't funds things.  Anyone who thinks that Gov't really cares about us.....go down the list of what separates us from what they get....exclusive HealthCare....guaranteed retirement benefits....they can be arrested and go to prison and still get their benefits.  They can cheat on their spouses and skim profits from Lobbyists....and yet, still get their benefits...sound like what everybody else gets?

amigodecigars

QuoteJackal - 2/29/2016  12:57 PM  So, will all of those Cuban cigars that will supposedly be hitting the B&M shelves by September need to go through FDA approval?

On the business side of Habanos S.A., the company reported a  4 percent growth rate in sales since last year, with the company  claiming to maintain 70 percent share of the global cigar market.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.