Scotch Drinkers in the House??

Started by 05Venturer, 04/08/2014 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

I am a big fan of Bourbon but have tried Scotch a few times and it really wasn't my thing.
Any one have any suggestions for what you like that I could maybe give a try?

:singing:  :cheers:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Newbhunter

Kent, I'm with you on the bourbon over scotch thing bro. But one that stood out to me for not much money was glenlivet 18years...
The Japanese also make some fine scotch.

Otter

Being a Bourbon fan, I would recommend going with a Highland or Speyside single malt rather than a smoky/peaty Isla Single Malt. Here's a list of the distilleries in the various regions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speyside_single_malts#Regions

Once you decide you enjoy Scotch ease yourself into some of the smokey/peaty Scotch from the Islands. You can get small bottles of many scotches so that you can try them. I'd be interested in what you find as you make this journey.
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

The Burn Ward

Glenmorangie makes some nice scotch as well as Macallan.

hebron

Laphroaig Single Malt, great with full bodied cigars  :drinking:  :cigarman:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

MT21

Glenmorangie gets my vote.

Laphroaig isn't a scotch to start out on but it is  great match with a full bodied cigar.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

hebron

- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

gpd4

I'd go ahead and skip that Laphroaig if you're not too keen on peaty scotch.  It's like drinking mulch the first time!  I think if you want to develop a taste for scotch, start with something like Dewar's or Johnny Walker Red.  Both are very light - not quite as sweet as Bourbon.  Then move on, like Jay said, to the Highland varieties.  Islay single malts are definately and aquired taste!  I prefer Bourbon as well, but any scotch will do in a pinch...
My greatest fear in life is that when I die, my wife sells my things for what I told her I paid for them...

Mojo66

Also there is the Balvenie DoubleWood 12 Year Old.

It is aged in ex-bourbon casks before being finished in sherry casks so it could be something you'd like
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

tvolball

I have recently tried Scotch myself. I started with Macallan 12 year old scotch. Its really pretty good. I've tried it straight up and on the rocks. I like it better chilled. I also saw a post I believe Jay(otter) made that said I should try it straight up but add a table spoon of water to it. I have not done that yet. I have also heard that Balvenie Doublewood is very good. It will be my next bottle I try.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

hebron

Hm, the geeks might be right. Laphroaig may not be the best for developing a taste for scotch... I tried it pretty early and liked it, but it may be an acquired taste... Wouldn't want to ruin the experience for you :-)
- Thomas

Mojo66

Quotetvolball - 4/9/2014  10:19 AM  I have recently tried Scotch myself. I started with Macallan 12 year old scotch. Its really pretty good. I've tried it straight up and on the rocks. I like it better chilled. I also saw a post I believe Jay(otter) made that said I should try it straight up but add a table spoon of water to it. I have not done that yet. I have also heard that Balvenie Doublewood is very good. It will be my next bottle I try.

I always add some DW to my Scotch, sometime up to 30%. Used to drink it straight up but a Scottish friend of mine told me to try it with water (I use DW cause it's tasteless) and I've never looked back since. Makes the aromas develop and I feel you can taste much more of the subtleties... but it's a personal thing.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

kuke

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or.  Awesome!  Smooth, a little sweet, and no peat.  Really good intro to single malt scotch.

sjn1117

Be careful Kent that damn scotch gets expensive!
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

benchjockey

Scotch can get expensive. Two that I like are Chivas Regal, a moderately priced
blend, and Glenfiddich, a single malt.
Johnny Walker makes several blends, the Black is one I've enjoyed.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Jackal

Try the Glenlivet 15 year old.  It is aged in French Limousin casks which give it a much smoother and less peat/ smokey flavor.  That may match up more to what you are used to as a Bourbon drinker.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

junglepete

The Balvenie
The Macallan 12 yr

Dimple Pinch as a good priced nice tasting blended scotch
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

tvolball

My local B&M, Burns has two locations. The Burns downtown also owns Chattanooga Billiard Club which is in the same building and they have an extensive collection of scotch's. I have thought about just going by every now and then and having a cigar and trying a different glass of scotch just to get a broad sampling without having to by the whole bottle to find if I like it. I totally agree with comment about scotch being expensive. The Macallan 12 year I bought was just under $60 a bottle. They had some that was well over $500 a bottle and a couple that were over $1000.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Otter

QuoteMojo66 - 4/9/2014  9:48 AM

Quotetvolball - 4/9/2014  10:19 AM  I have recently tried Scotch myself. I started with Macallan 12 year old scotch. Its really pretty good. I've tried it straight up and on the rocks. I like it better chilled. I also saw a post I believe Jay(otter) made that said I should try it straight up but add a table spoon of water to it. I have not done that yet. I have also heard that Balvenie Doublewood is very good. It will be my next bottle I try.

I always add some DW to my Scotch, sometime up to 30%. Used to drink it straight up but a Scottish friend of mine told me to try it with water (I use DW cause it's tasteless) and I've never looked back since. Makes the aromas develop and I feel you can taste much more of the subtleties... but it's a personal thing.

It dilutes it just enough to take the bite of the alcohol away from your tongue and lets you taste those flavors... great advice!
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Longhorn

Some great advice here. I'd suggest trying an Islay, but would steer clear of the Laphroig at first (very peaty - almost medicinal taste).  Lagavulin and Ardbeg make some very nice whiskies and have a few bottlings that are finished in ex-wine and sherry casks imparting a sweetness into the spirit.  Islay's pair nicely with cigars - especially bolder ones.  Explore and enjoy!

05Venturer

Thanks everyone, all those suggestions should help :bigthumbs:

And keep me broke  :lmao:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Michaelbevans61

I love the stuff! My favorite ( and the best ive ever had) was called o hara it was a 30 year old bottle and it was 130$ but by far the best ive ever had 
Rock and roll is no genre, rock and roll? .......my friends rock and roll is a way of life!
Brent Smith, Shinedown

timpellis

If you like peat, Ardberg Udigail is the way to go.  I current acquired a bottle of Macallan 18 and realized I need to get a better paying job.  Last year I attended the Single Malt Scotch Society's big event in Philly.  Well worth the money (150/ticket).  I was able to taste several bottles the retail over 2,500 bucks.  I will never try them again I am sure, just awesome.

gcbright

Glenmorangie is my goto drink of choice with an evening cigar and  Macallan is my backup.

Thanks
George

Beegerply

I like Bowmore 15 it's my go to scotch, I also like Old Pulteney 12  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.