Scotch Drinkers in the House??

Started by 05Venturer, 04/08/2014 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longhorn

QuoteCamshaft83 - 8/29/2015  3:20 AM

Any thoughts on Aberlour 16?

I think I'd opt for the Aberlour A'Bunadh instead.

How was that Highland 18?

Camshaft83

QuoteLonghorn - 8/29/2015  2:12 PM

QuoteCamshaft83 - 8/29/2015  3:20 AM

Any thoughts on Aberlour 16?

I think I'd opt for the Aberlour A'Bunadh instead.

Thanks for the advise about the Aberlour. As for the HP I don't know yet. I have been working crazy hours lately. Plan on having a dram next weekend when I go to smoke with a couple friends of mine. I'll let you know what I think.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Camshaft83

So I finally tried some of the HP 18yr. at a BBQ tonight. My personal thoughts are I would stick to the 12. It isn't worth the extra money (150 here in Utah). The main flavors from the 12 are kind of there and there was a definite saline flavor I don't get from the 12 on the finish. The consistency is very thick and oily. The finish isn't as clean and refined as I would expect from the age either. It has only had a couple glasses taken out tonight so maybe with a couple weeks rest we will see a change in it.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

Longhorn

QuoteCamshaft83 - 9/7/2015  4:20 AM

So I finally tried some of the HP 18yr. at a BBQ tonight. My personal thoughts are I would stick to the 12. It isn't worth the extra money (150 here in Utah). The main flavors from the 12 are kind of there and there was a definite saline flavor I don't get from the 12 on the finish. The consistency is very thick and oily. The finish isn't as clean and refined as I would expect from the age either. It has only had a couple glasses taken out tonight so maybe with a couple weeks rest we will see a change in it.

Cam, I would have said the same thing... I don't think there's enough difference for the price unlike some other aged expressions that are worth every penny (Lagavulin, Glenmorangie, Ardbeg, and Balvenie to name a few).

Camshaft83

QuoteLonghorn - 9/8/2015  3:04 PM

Cam, I would have said the same thing... I don't think there's enough difference for the price unlike some other aged expressions that are worth every penny (Lagavulin, Glenmorangie, Ardbeg, and Balvenie to name a few).

I really like the Lagavulin 16 and the Ardbeg 10. The Lagavulin 16 is the only one I can get in Utah. As for the Ardbeg I can get Corryvrecken, Uigeadail, and Perpetuum. Any of those I should look into?

Longhorn

I'm a fan of the Uigeadail and had a couple drams of the Perpetuum recently - enjoyed it.  It had a nice finish - hints of sweetness.  I think they age it in old sherry casks for some/all of the casking.

Camshaft83

I will have to get some and give it a try. Just found out about a whiskey bar in Salt Lake called Bourbon House. They supposedly have every whiskey you can buy in Utah there. Sounds like a great place to go and try a bunch of different whiskeys I have been eyeing but not wanted to buy a full bottle of.

Longhorn

scrubs

New guy jumping in with both feet.  I started enjoying scotch a couple of years ago and agree with those on the thread that mentioned the Balvenie 12 yr double cask.  They also have a 14 year Caribbean cask that is aged in former rum barrels - great flavor.  I've even had the chance to try their 17 year which was extremely smooth, but you start looking at $150/bottle there.  Not exactly an everyday sipper.

I recently tried Glenkinche - it is a new favorite and runs around $80/bottle.
Kristofor "Kris" Copes

An exchange between Lady Astor and Winston Churchill:
Lady Astor:  "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee!"
Churchill: "And if I were your husband I would drink it."

Brlesq

Quotescrubs - 9/27/2015  6:50 PM

New guy jumping in with both feet.  I started enjoying scotch a couple of years ago and agree with those on the thread that mentioned the Balvenie 12 yr double cask.  They also have a 14 year Caribbean cask that is aged in former rum barrels - great flavor.  I've even had the chance to try their 17 year which was extremely smooth, but you start looking at $150/bottle there.  Not exactly an everyday sipper.

I recently tried Glenkinche - it is a new favorite and runs around $80/bottle.

All good choices, Kris.  Welcome to the forum.  Why don't you head over to the Newbie introduction section and tell us a little more about yourself.  From your profile I see that we already have a lot in common!
  :thumbsup:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

plnortham

QuoteNewbhunter - 4/7/2014  9:15 PM

Kent, I'm with you on the bourbon over scotch thing bro. But one that stood out to me for not much money was glenlivet 18years...
The Japanese also make some fine scotch.

When he says not that much, he means about $80/750mL.  I don't know about you but that's steep. :beatup: But on another note, I completely agree.  The Glenlivet 18 year is one of my favorite scotches.  If you're looking for something more affordable, you can go with The Glenlivet 12 year or 15 year.  The Glenlivet also makes a scotch called "Nadurra", which I believe is aged 16 years.  These all range from about $35-$100/bottle.   My favorite scotch is the Nadurra.  Smoke, drink, and be merry my friend.
Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

plnortham

QuoteCamshaft83 - 9/7/2015  8:09 PM

I will have to get some and give it a try. Just found out about a whiskey bar in Salt Lake called Bourbon House. They supposedly have every whiskey you can buy in Utah there. Sounds like a great place to go and try a bunch of different whiskeys I have been eyeing but not wanted to buy a full bottle of.

They also have a place called, "Whiskey Street" in downtown SLC.  I was just there around Christmas time for a snow skiing trip with the fam.  Absolutely amazing.  Great place.  Great environment.  Great food too!  Only downside is Utah governs there alcohol pretty hardcore.  They measure their shots out. So there's no "heavy hands" there.  Not a good enough reason not to go though.
Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

Otter

Just poured a dram of Monkey Shoulder which is a mix of three different Single Malts - Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie - MSRP ~$40 :-)
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Camshaft83

Quoteplnortham - 10/1/2015  10:55 AM

QuoteCamshaft83 - 9/7/2015  8:09 PM

They also have a place called, "Whiskey Street" in downtown SLC.  I was just there around Christmas time for a snow skiing trip with the fam.  Absolutely amazing.  Great place.  Great environment.  Great food too!  Only downside is Utah governs there alcohol pretty hardcore.  They measure their shots out. So there's no "heavy hands" there.  Not a good enough reason not to go though.

I will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.  :bigthumbs:

Longhorn

QuoteOtter - 10/1/2015  6:31 PM

Just poured a dram of Monkey Shoulder which is a mix of three different Single Malts - Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie - MSRP ~$40 :-)

Check your bottle... I think that's a bottle of "Monkey Humper."   :biggrin:

05Venturer

QuoteLonghorn - 10/7/2015  9:08 PM

QuoteOtter - 10/1/2015  6:31 PM

Check your bottle... I think that's a bottle of "Monkey Humper."   :biggrin:

May need to confirm the Humper with Stephen sjn1117  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Camshaft83

Thanks to a really good friend I was fortunate enough to drink a glass of Highland Park Odin last night.  :drool: So good. To bad it's a bit out of my price range.

Longhorn

QuoteCamshaft83 - 1/10/2016  6:40 PM

Thanks to a really good friend I was fortunate enough to drink a glass of Highland Park Odin last night.  :drool: So good. To bad it's a bit out of my price range.

Approaching three C notes around here... a bit steep for 16 y/o whisky.  Cool you got to try some!

Camshaft83

QuoteLonghorn - 1/10/2016  7:17 PM

Approaching three C notes around here... a bit steep for 16 y/o whisky.  Cool you got to try some!

Glad I got to try some but would buy Lagavulin way before the Odin. It did drink like a much older whisky then 16 y/o. Very rich and still full of flavors. It stomps the 18 into the ground.

plnortham

The Glenlivet.  It doesn't matter the years.  Or the type.  I have yet to have a "The Glenlivet" I didn't enjoy.
Phil Northam

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.