Butane

Started by 05Venturer, 04/13/2014 11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

I have to admit I thought all butane was the same until now. I had a couple cheap lighters that I could not get to work anymore when I was using Ronson fluid.
I picked up a can of Lotus off the Devil site and emptied and refilled them and they both are working like a champ now. :dancing:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

hebron

I use Colibri:

- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

gitfiddl

Quote05Venturer - 4/13/2014  2:05 PM

I have to admit I thought all butane was the same until now. I had a couple cheap lighters that I could not get to work anymore when I was using Ronson fluid.
I picked up a can of Lotus off the Devil site and emptied and refilled them and they both are working like a champ now. :dancing:

Ronson Jetlites will eat anything, Zippo, Ronson, Billy Joe Bob's Butane and BBQ Sauce type stuff.  The prettier lighters (Xikar, Colibri, etc) like the good multiple filtered stuff.  The key to using the cheaper stuff in cheaper lighters is to purge them, with the valve facing downward.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

tvolball

I used ronson fuel at first and had problems. I now use Xikar and have had no problems
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Ken Kelley

Quotegitfiddl - 4/13/2014  2:17 AM

Quote05Venturer - 4/13/2014  2:05 PM

Ronson Jetlites will eat anything, Zippo, Ronson, Billy Joe Bob's Butane and BBQ Sauce type stuff.  The prettier lighters (Xikar, Colibri, etc) like the good multiple filtered stuff.  The key to using the cheaper stuff in cheaper lighters is to purge them, with the valve facing downward.

Yup on the JetLites. I thought about seeing if I could load some of my neighbor's moonshine in one of mine but changed my mind for fear of the thing going into orbit or blowing up in my hand.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

DonM

The local B&M carries Jetline butane, which is supposed to be 5X filtered and have had good luck with it, but I do not think that the AB burner I am using at home is as particular as other lighters.  I haven't had any problems with my pocket lighters either

"The Curmudgeon"

gitfiddl

QuoteDonM - 4/13/2014  2:32 PM

The local B&M carries Jetline butane, which is supposed to be 5X filtered and have had good luck with it, but I do not think that the AB burner I am using at home is as particular as other lighters.  I haven't had any problems with my pocket lighters either

You should just go ahead and hook that thing up to a propane line...

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

DonM

Quotegitfiddl - 4/13/2014  2:59 PM

QuoteDonM - 4/13/2014  2:32 PM

You should just go ahead and hook that thing up to a propane line...

Yea it does burn some butane, but it has one hell of a flame, I like it!

"The Curmudgeon"

bmac7754

I use Xikar fuel and have never had a clogging problem
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Newbhunter

Used to use nibo, didn't have problems but for 50cents more I can get colibri, so I use just that now.

Cfickter

I also use the Jetline 5X.  Find it equal to the Xikar as a much better price
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Smurf

Xikar all the way for me
orbis non sufficit

BewareDaPenguin

I bought a box of colibri when it was on sale so I'll be good for a while lol, haven't had any problems with it
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

toby2

I use xikar like a good little sheep and the lighters still f up regular...

Mojo66

Xikar since day one for me without a problem. Lighters clog with dust sometimes but compressed air solves that every time.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

The Burn Ward

Vector fuel.

Rebecca Silverwolf

I also use Vector butane, and have also had god luck with Xikar. Any of the 5x distilled fuels should be good for any lighter.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Jim1

I've used both Xikar and Colibri and never had a problem with either.
Life itself is a strange thing.....it is what it is.

sjn1117

I use Xikar just because it's what they sell at the shop I frequent.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

dddddmorgan

This makes me ask a question that's been on my mind. I have a (apparently) good quality lighter that quit working when I refilled it.

So, how do i purge it? How do I empty it?
Molon Labe!

Jackal

Anything 3x or better should be fine.  5x and you are absolutely assured of no contaminants.  Beyond 5x and you are wasting your money as there is virtually no difference in purity beyond that point.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

The Burn Ward

There are slight tweaks to the more refined stuff, your lighter and cigar could care less though.

Rhall

I use Xikar but mainly because my local shop keeps it in stock. .they also carry another brand that i just recently started seeing in the store but haven't looked at it yet.. not even sure of the name
Insert sarcastic quote here.

Hot Stuff x

Over here on the uncivilized part of the globe all I can get is Bil-Hee Joh-Bap butane and bulgogi marinade, and it burns really dirty.  On my soft flame lighter you can see a build-up of soot from burning this stuff.  I think it is Zero-X refined.  I appreciate a lighter that can handle this fuel, but there aren't many.  Jetlites do seem to work well with crappy fuel, but they too will give up eventually.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Hot Stuff x

Here's the crap I'm using -- at least it's cheap:

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.