Butane

Started by 05Venturer, 04/13/2014 11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cigary

Good fuel is something that we tend to use and lighters tend to work better with 3 or 5X refined butane.  Ronsons seem to be able to work on junk so I'm at a loss as to how that works in the grand scheme.  I have expensive lighters where I use only 5X butane...a big can of Vector will last years so I dont see why most won't buy a can of this instead of saving 50 cents on crap butane?

Ol' Times CIgars

Vector or Lucienne are the best butanes for the money in my opinion. Sometimes they run deals on the giant Xikar cans, making them the best deal out there. I used to think the butane thing was bs, but I have been rebuilding/repairing customer lighters for a few years now and the first question I ask is "what fuel do you use." 99% of the time they say "I don't know I got it at a gas station." I just bleed it then refill it and what do you know, it works!  

I think one of the companies had a break down of ppms of each fuel and the cheap brands always had a lot more.
www.oltimescigars.com
Great cigars at great prices!

Cigary

QuoteOl' Times CIgars - 6/6/2014  5:25 PM  Vector or Lucienne are the best butanes for the money in my opinion. Sometimes they run deals on the giant Xikar cans, making them the best deal out there. I used to think the butane thing was bs, but I have been rebuilding/repairing customer lighters for a few years now and the first question I ask is "what fuel do you use." 99% of the time they say "I don't know I got it at a gas station." I just bleed it then refill it and what do you know, it works!    I think one of the companies had a break down of ppms of each fuel and the cheap brands always had a lot more.

Can't emphasize this enough about quality butane.  I have my own collection of lighters that range from the lowly Ronson all the way to the ST Duponts.  After working on my own I learned the same thing about butanes....once I started using 5X refined fuel I just don't have issues anymore with any lighters.  I use compressed air but only for insurance to keep the lighter critters from forming in the jet.  I bought 5 cans of Vector fuel about 3 years ago and two of them are still full...the first can is about halfway full and it never goes bad.

CigarPlace

I'll use any premium butane 4x refined or better. The fact that we sell Xikar means my lighters tend to get that more than anything else. There also happens to be a can on my desk at all times so there's that. In a pinch when I have to buy butane and my options are limited, Colibri, Vector, and Jetline but I also won't overpay for them either. Some of the shops around here charge like $9 for a small can, I'll just change lighters, ask them to refill me or use matches instead.

Oh and what's with shops charging for matches...?

Cigary

Lol....I see that more and more about charging for matches and cedar spills....wait, what???   One can pay $4 for the big can of Vector and I usually will get that from CI but see they don't do that deal very often.  I would order 2 big cans with Free S/H.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.