herf-a-dor question

Started by ltrog, 04/14/2014 08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ltrog

I have a little 5 cigar travel herf-a-dor.  There is a little green circular humidifier that should absorb water to keep proper humidity.  I am not sure if this ever absorbed water but I know for sure it doesn't now.  Does anyone know how to fix or where to get a replacement humidifier for one of these?  My local B&M tobacconist had no idea.

hebron

Quoteltrog - 4/15/2014  6:14 AM

I have a little 5 cigar travel herf-a-dor.  There is a little green circular humidifier that should absorb water to keep proper humidity.  I am not sure if this ever absorbed water but I know for sure it doesn't now.  Does anyone know how to fix or where to get a replacement humidifier for one of these?  My local B&M tobacconist had no idea.
Hi Jeff, you should head over to the newbie forum and introduce yourself :-) Now to your question; the little green thing is a foam humidifier, a quick search reveals that they have them on Amazon although this particular one might not be the correct size for you.

Some other options is to use a Boveda pack or crystal tubes inside for humidification.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

bstessl

It may just be dry and old ... you can try submerging it for a little bit and see if it begins to take in water...
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Rebecca Silverwolf

Does your herfadore have a brand name on it? If it's Xikar or something like that, contacting the company for a new humidifier might be a way to go. If it can be removed easily, I would second the idea of trying to submerge it to see if it will take water. (Distilled or deionized!)
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

bmac7754

I have a Xikar herf I use every day. It takes very little water and very rarely needs any added. You may still be full and don't need any. With it closed all the time it stays pretty moist. What you can do is leave your case open for a day and see if it dries out and accepts more fluid. The one I have is not changeable, so I would suggest using a water pillow, or small boveda pack inside. If all else fails throw it out and buy another, they only run about $15.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

BewareDaPenguin

Quotebmac7754 - 4/15/2014  4:33 AM

I have a Xikar herf I use every day. It takes very little water and very rarely needs any added. You may still be full and don't need any. With it closed all the time it stays pretty moist. What you can do is leave your case open for a day and see if it dries out and accepts more fluid. The one I have is not changeable, so I would suggest using a water pillow, or small boveda pack inside. If all else fails throw it out and buy another, they only run about $15.

:word: Cbid has them everyday for sale
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

gpd4

[/QUOTE]  :word: Cbid has them everyday for sale[/QUOTE]

So it'll only run you about $200 with all the new smokes!

My greatest fear in life is that when I die, my wife sells my things for what I told her I paid for them...

The Burn Ward

I never use the green foam that comes in it. It's too close a proximity to the smokes, add a tight seal and it is sure to land you a mold problem with any prolonged use. I pop in a small Boveda pack and it's smooth sailing.

StogieDad

Quotegpd4 - 4/15/2014  8:30 AM

:word: Cbid has them everyday for sale[/QUOTE]

So it'll only run you about $200 with all the new smokes!

[/QUOTE]
Ain't that the truth :lmao:
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

nirab

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 4/15/2014  6:51 AM

I never use the green foam that comes in it. It's too close a proximity to the smokes, add a tight seal and it is sure to land you a mold problem with any prolonged use. I pop in a small Boveda pack and it's smooth sailing.

:word:  :rocker:  :thumbsup:  :cigarman:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Mojo66

I've learned here not to bother with the foam in my Xikar herf. I don't even use a Boveda anymore as the humidity from the sticks is enough to maintain proper RH for at least a couple of days. This thing is plastic so it does not absorb any humidity and the seal is real tight.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

gitfiddl

QuoteMojo66 - 4/15/2014  9:09 AM

I've learned here not to bother with the foam in my Xikar herf. I don't even use a Boveda anymore as the humidity from the sticks is enough to maintain proper RH for at least a couple of days. This thing is plastic so it does not absorb any humidity and the seal is real tight.

:word:

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

05Venturer

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 4/15/2014  7:51 AM

X2
I use the mini Bovedas also
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

Quote05Venturer - 4/15/2014  11:35 AM  
QuoteThe Burn Ward - 4/15/2014  7:51 AM  I never use the green foam that comes in it. It's too close a proximity to the smokes, add a tight seal and it is sure to land you a mold problem with any prolonged use. I pop in a small Boveda pack and it's smooth sailing.
X2 I use the mini Bovedas also

X2, the mini's are great

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

tvolball

I would just use the little Boveda pack in it.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

ROTHNH

I have a 10-pack Xikar Herf-a-dor that seals extremely well.  That little round green humidifying device in the lid only needs 3-4 drops of distilled water every 4-6 weeks.

BTW, this Herf-a-dor seals so well that a a larger humidification device, Humi-pak pillow or Boveda pack are total overkill IMO -- unless you keep the same cigars in there for long periods.

DonM

QuoteMojo66 - 4/15/2014  9:09 AM

:word:

If it is only for short term storage I don't even bother with the humidifier.  Those herf a dors are so air tight, the cigars will be fine for a week or so without it

"The Curmudgeon"

Beegerply

QuoteDonM - 4/15/2014  11:42 AM

If it is only for short term storage I don't even bother with the humidifier.  Those herf a dors are so air tight, the cigars will be fine for a week or so without it

X2  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.