From the M*A*S*H episode"Fade Out, Fade In:" COL. POTTER: Cigar? RADAR: Will it stunt my growth? COL. POTTER: Whattya got to loose? RADAR: Is it Habit forming? COL. POTTER: Nah, I've smoked 5 cigars a day and never got the habit! RADAR: That's good to know! (After lighting cigars, Radar makes a puzzled look) COL POTTER: Nothin' like a good cigar on a clear morning! RADAR: Or Cream of Wheat. Later, Radar was found over the hill, sick from his first cigar...

Main Menu

Green Foam Replacement

Started by Brlesq, 12/29/2013 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BewareDaPenguin

Went to fill my "green foam" up in my oasis and it was starting to get mold growth, needless to say I cut it out. Replaced it with some of the super absorbent polymer beads. So will also keep everybody posted on how it works for me. I was surprised as I've only had that oasis for about 4 months. I check it regularly so the mold is new, but still surprised me. Thanks for the tips on this Bruce :biggrin:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Brlesq

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 4/19/2014  3:31 PM

Went to fill my "green foam" up in my oasis and it was starting to get mold growth, needless to say I cut it out. Replaced it with some of the super absorbent polymer beads. So will also keep everybody posted on how it works for me. I was surprised as I've only had that oasis for about 4 months. I check it regularly so the mold is new, but still surprised me. Thanks for the tips on this Bruce :biggrin:

You're quite welcome, Adam.  I'm now coming up on 4 months use of these, and have had no issues whatsoever.  I just wish I had done this a long time ago!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

wlfwalleye

Over the 5+ years of using SAP crystals I have never had a single problem in either my tower or my custom humidor. I dialed in the humidity with a combo of SAP crystals and heartfelt beads. I don't really even check my humidity except for maybe once every couple of months. I just check if the SAP crystals have shrunk every couple of weeks and add a little distilled water.  I get mine from Watersorb since I also use them in the greenhouse and planter sheds.

http://water-sorb.com/prices.php

Brlesq

Quotewlfwalleye - 4/19/2014  5:54 PM

Over the 5+ years of using SAP crystals I have never had a single problem in either my tower or my custom humidor. I dialed in the humidity with a combo of SAP crystals and heartfelt beads. I don't really even check my humidity except for maybe once every couple of months. I just check if the SAP crystals have shrunk every couple of weeks and add a little distilled water.  I get mine from Watersorb since I also use them in the greenhouse and planter sheds.

http://water-sorb.com/prices.php

Well of course you do.  Because they offer the 55 lb. option, and we all know how large your collection is!  :rolleyes:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

cmmayo

I've popped open all of my old floral foam humidifiers and replaced the foam with the kitty litter crystals. It's easy enough to tape them back closed with a little clear packing tape. In my bigger humidors, I've also used plastic dishes filled with the KL and just set them into open areas. I replace the KL twice a year or so or when they start to yellow and it's worked great. Consistently between 65% and 70%--and only 70% during the first week after refilling since I tend to soak the KL in the dishes well with distilled water, until there is a little water sitting at the very bottom of the dish. On rare occasions this has caused a reading above 70% temporarily, but I just open the lid and pull the trays for a few minutes and then close everything back up and that seems to fix it.

I can usually go up to 2 months or so between messing with the KL without any problems. Waiting this long actually brings it down to 65% for the majority of the 2 months and I have over ten humidors (no towers or coolidors), so it's worth it for the time I save dealing with refilling. Takes me 2 hours to rehydrate everything each time, so only messing with it 6 times a year is preferable. I think next year I'm calling on my friend's friend that makes custom cabinets and going professional with my setup.
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

nwb

I must be lucky, because I've had my Oasis XL II for 4+ years and still haven't had to replace the foam. :confused:
Chief of Shaft

lubrix

I switch both of my foam blocks out every couple of years,though never had a mold issue.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

BewareDaPenguin

Quotenwb - 4/19/2014  8:51 PM

I must be lucky, because I've had my Oasis XL II for 4+ years and still haven't had to replace the foam. :confused:

Yeah Nathan I was very surprised to see it as well. Like I said I check it a few times a week I'm pretty meticulous about checking everything in the humidor. Glad I caught it but still pretty shocked considering I haven't had it very long. I keep it set at 69% and I use the beads on the other shelves to help with stability. Glad yours is holding strong though bro :thumbsup:

nwb

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 4/20/2014  12:55 AM
Quotenwb - 4/19/2014  8:51 PM

Yeah Nathan I was very surprised to see it as well. Like I said I check it a few times a week I'm pretty meticulous about checking everything in the humidor. Glad I caught it but still pretty shocked considering I haven't had it very long. I keep it set at 69% and I use the beads on the other shelves to help with stability. Glad yours is holding strong though bro :thumbsup:

I'm sure I'll need to replace it eventually, and when I do, I'll use beads.  I'm not messing with it 'til then, though. :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

BewareDaPenguin

Yeah I had plans to just ride mine out as well Nathan! If it ain't broke don't fix it!! Was surprised when I saw it like I said. The beads seen to be doing a great job so far tho! It seems like the oasis doesn't have to work as hard (stay on as long) with the beads. I only have 3 days of test lol so not an accurate gauge but it seems like they will work better then the foam, and hopefully prolong the life of the oasis :thumbsup:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.