Coolidor Project

Started by JamesTanner, 05/18/2014 11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin48438

I use Heartfelt beads in a pantyhose bag (in a disposable ziploc container with no lid) and never thought of dust until this thread.   I squirt a syringe of distilled water on them once per week and close the lid.  I dont do anything else
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

Rebecca Silverwolf

QuoteJamesTanner - 5/26/2014  6:08 PM

I will try and post pics asap.  When you store boxes in your coolidor do you leave the box slightly open or does it not matter?  Also if you store in ziplock bags do you leave those open?

In my coolidor, I removed the box lids entirely. Just popped the hardware off with a screwdriver. Then I put the lids around the edges of the coolidor.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

JamesTanner

Eveything is holding steady at 65 and 68 for temp.  All day and night long.  I am so happy I found this mimi kitty litter.  It took a couple days to get it where I wanted it but now its been working magnificentely.  I have around 220 cigars in my coolidor.  Unless I get another coolidor I may have to take the boxes out so I have more room.  Probably will just buy another cooler at walmart for 20 bucks.  Already have 3 or 4 pounds of kitty litter left.  What a great cheap alternative to buying heartfelt or boveda.  I will try them in the future but for now I am totally satisfied.
James Tanner

hebron

QuoteJamesTanner - 5/29/2014  7:36 AM

Eveything is holding steady at 65 and 68 for temp.  All day and night long.  I am so happy I found this mimi kitty litter.  It took a couple days to get it where I wanted it but now its been working magnificentely.  I have around 220 cigars in my coolidor.  Unless I get another coolidor I may have to take the boxes out so I have more room.  Probably will just buy another cooler at walmart for 20 bucks.  Already have 3 or 4 pounds of kitty litter left.  What a great cheap alternative to buying heartfelt or boveda.  I will try them in the future but for now I am totally satisfied.
Glad it worked out  :thumbsup: You'll get a new one quite quick, and then another ;-)
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Cfickter

James, great job putting this together.  Congrats on the new coolidor!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ntanner

Nice job getting you're coolidor set up. Now start looking for a bigger cooler for the next one cause if you hang around here for long then you are going to need more space sooner then you think. :thumbsup:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

ROTHNH

Looks like everything's working as intended.  WTG James!

JamesTanner

Thanks for the tips and help everyone.  I will let you know how things go in the coming weeks.
James Tanner

JamesTanner

Lately my temp has been around 65 and holding steady there.  Is this too low?  Should I try to get closer to 70 for temp?  Humidity still at a perfect 65.  Also if anyone cares to help I have a few more questions.  Should I rotate cigars every so often?  Also will cigars age in a coolidor?  Will they age at temps in the mid 60s?  Just a few questions I have.  I already am going to need another cooler.  Unless I take out the boxes and just use all ziplocs.  I will get more efficient and gain more experience as I go.  I am learning so much every day.
James Tanner

hebron

QuoteJamesTanner - 6/1/2014  4:23 AM

Lately my temp has been around 65 and holding steady there.  Is this too low?  Should I try to get closer to 70 for temp?  Humidity still at a perfect 65.  Also if anyone cares to help I have a few more questions.  Should I rotate cigars every so often?  Also will cigars age in a coolidor?  Will they age at temps in the mid 60s?  Just a few questions I have.  I already am going to need another cooler.  Unless I take out the boxes and just use all ziplocs.  I will get more efficient and gain more experience as I go.  I am learning so much every day.
Regarding the rotation: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=27732.0

I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature, mine fluctuates between 65 and 70'F. Your cigars will age in the coolidor, but you need to open the lid every now and then to get some fresh air in. The aging will slow as the temperature drops, but I'm sure some other geeks know more about this.

Aging article: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=11

Also:

- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

ntanner

65 is fine, it is the warmer temp's that are more of a concern. If it starts edging much upward of 76-78 degrees then you will want to take some measures to control the temp.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

ROTHNH

Actually, it's best to keep temperature BELOW 70 F.

Tobacco Beetles eggs hatch at 75 F. and higher -- which is probably the best reason to keep the temps 70 or below.

IMO, a range of 50 F. to 65 F. is ideal.

JamesTanner

Thanks for the info.  I heard cigars have a hard time aging at lower temps?  My coolidor has been going great.  Going to have to get another soon.  Anyone have problems with their coolers not being airtight?  I am ocd and feel I don't want any smells or anything getting to my cigars and affecting the flavor.  I notice if I push on the tip of t hew cooler I feel the front where you open air come out.   But so far my cigars have been smoking great.  I really like those small bored a packs for when I travel with a few smokes.  Those have been working really great for me.  Anyways enough rambling.  Thanks everyone for support, trades, help, advice, etc.
James Tanner

ROTHNH

The fact that most coolidors  are actually  *air-tight* is the problem ...

That's why you have to *open up the coolidor and let some air in* every few days.

Cigar humidors are NOT air tight -- and that's on purpose and by design.

Cfickter

Great job on pulling it together. Sounds like you are off and running.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Mojo66

Good to see your progress brother. Many of us went thru the same troublesome period at first. so don't worry, you're not alone  

Oh and by the way James, where are those pics :biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

timpellis

Great job james, I used much of what you went through in my recent project.  I converted an old oak nightstand into a humidor.  Had some seal issues but I was able to work them out and now everything is working great.  Next step is to get beads/KL going.  I am just using temporary humidity solutions right now, wanted to make sure it would work before shelling out cash for some cedar, etc...

JamesTanner

Here is a pic guys.  Its an Igloo cooler 48 ct.  You cant see most of the stuff.  There are boxes underneath boxes and bags underneath as well.  In the center is a tupperware container that holds the kitty litter that is in a pantyhose.  There are holes punctured on top.  Then my humidification and temp gauge.  I put a few pieces of spanish cedar in there but I would like to get more and line the whole thing with it.  It is a little ghetto but at least my temp and humidity is at perfect levels for me.  I did it all very cheap too.  When I started with this forum I had maybe 20 cigars.  I know have over 200.  I really need to update my humidor for this site.  In time I would like to get some nice real humidors and store my very special cigars in there.  The boxes you see in there and dont see are not all just that brand.  Some are and some are just for storage.  I almost wonder if it would be more economical to just use bags in terms of how much more i could fit in there.  Also I need to get a smaller tupperware container to hold the kitty litter in.  So far so good though.  Cigars have been smoking great!
James Tanner

ntanner

hebron

- Thomas

JamesTanner

Thanks guys.  I will get better and keep learning.  Hopefully in the future I can get some real nice humidors.  I am going to see about getting some spanish cedar somehow as well.  Any suggestions?  I am going to call my local b&m and search around online.  Next coolidor I am going to use heartfelt then boveda.  I use the boveda little packs for when i travel.  They work very well.  I wanna try it all.  If anyone ever comes across any nice humidors for cheap or wants to get rid of one let me know.
James Tanner

Mojo66

QuoteJamesTanner - 6/4/2014  2:37 PM  Thanks guys.  I will get better and keep learning.  Hopefully in the future I can get some real nice humidors.  I am going to see about getting some spanish cedar somehow as well.  Any suggestions?  I am going to call my local b&m and search around online.  Next coolidor I am going to use heartfelt then boveda.  I use the boveda little packs for when i travel.  They work very well.  I wanna try it all.  If anyone ever comes across any nice humidors for cheap or wants to get rid of one let me know.

James, you might find Spanish Cedar at :

or you will find some here: http://www.custom-creation.net/spanish_cedar_plywood_and_wood_products, they are located in Wixom, MI, but do ship across the US

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

hebron

I use the divider sheets and emtpy cigar boxes inside my humidors. Ether as trays or I break them apart.

If you stay on this site you will get used to setting up tupperdors  :shy: I know I have :cigarman:
- Thomas

JamesTanner

Wow, thanks for the nice local source Mojo!  How the heck did you find that?  Is spanish cedar the best and only way to go or regular cedar okay?  Any other kinds of wood that are good?
James Tanner

05Venturer

QuoteJamesTanner - 6/4/2014  1:37 PM

Thanks guys.  I will get better and keep learning.  Hopefully in the future I can get some real nice humidors.  I am going to see about getting some spanish cedar somehow as well.  Any suggestions?  I am going to call my local b&m and search around online.  Next coolidor I am going to use heartfelt then boveda.  I use the boveda little packs for when i travel.  They work very well.  I wanna try it all.  If anyone ever comes across any nice humidors for cheap or wants to get rid of one let me know.

My suggestion is to get a nice desktop humidor and keep the bulk of your cigars in tuperdors/coolidors and use the saved cash for tasty sticks.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.