To pipe or not to pipe...

Started by nirab, 04/23/2014 04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nirab

I have a bid on 3 new, estate MM pipes on ebay. If that fails, then it's gonna be the MM Legend. I should be taking the dive into pipes sometime late next week. Any more tobacco suggestions are greatly appreciated!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

grabow66

Frog Mortons cellar is a go to for me. I may
Order  3 more tins Friday. Also Sutliff makes great Aromatics. I highly suggest Sutliff private stock Molto Dolce
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

nirab

I won the bid on these pipes (scroll down the page on the link), and they arrive today. I have a list of tobacco recommendations, but does anyone have anything else to add to the list? I'm gonna try to pick up some tabaccy at Habana House this weekend. Thanks!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Estate-Missouri-Meerschaum-Corn-Cob-Tobacco-Pipes-Lot-of-3-/261459643640?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=GCcD8qmW3rTfyKw6XhhVlchSNE4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_652wt_1147

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

ROTHNH

I agree with the recommendations for starting out with a couple Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes.

If you enjoy smoking those and want to get a briar pipe, buy good quality -- the best pipe you can afford.  Do the research and jot down the brand(s) and style(s) that appeal to you, then check out the online vendors who specialize in selling estate pipes.  Buying a refurbished, quality estate pipe will save you 35% to more than 50% versus buying the same pipe as a new one.  Here's a few places to look for estate pipes:  smokingpipes.com, smokershaven.com, jamesislandpiper.com, briarblues.com, pulversbriar.com, walkerbriarworks.com, mkelaw-pipes.com, and twofriendspipes.com.

Good suggestions on pipe tobacco here too.  If you're a pipe puffing newbie and interested in English blends, I recommend starting with McClellend Craftsbury Series Frog Morton blends.  Frog Morton blends are "crossovers" and a perfect choice for beginners.  Get a tin of the original Froggie and a tin of the Cellar Froggie.  Kent's recommendation of Carter Hall is also a good one IMO -- pouches of CH are sold everywhere -- it's a good smoke that has had a place in my tobacco cellar for 40+ years.

nwb

You might want to pick up a pipe tool and some pipe cleaners as well.  You may already know that, but it isn't something you always think about when moving from cigars to pipes.
Chief of Shaft

The Burn Ward

Quotenirab - 5/1/2014  2:31 PM

I won the bid on these pipes (scroll down the page on the link), and they arrive today. I have a list of tobacco recommendations, but does anyone have anything else to add to the list? I'm gonna try to pick up some tabaccy at Habana House this weekend. Thanks!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Estate-Missouri-Meerschaum-Corn-Cob-Tobacco-Pipes-Lot-of-3-/261459643640?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=GCcD8qmW3rTfyKw6XhhVlchSNE4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_652wt_1147

Nice pickup :thumbsup:

nirab

Pipes arrived, and now just waiting for my small (never thought I'd say that!) CI order of pipe tabaccy to get here. Looking forward to giving this pipe thing a try...to be continued... :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

toby2

05Venturer

I see the largest pipe there looks to be a MM Eaton, which is my smallest pipe. Be careful with those tiny ones and be sure to puff really slow as I have found that with the super short stem "tongue bite" is easily attained when starting out.
Excited to hear how you progress, I would really suggest something with a slightly larger bowl in the near future.
Enjoy and keep us posted buddy :thumbsup:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

nirab

Quote05Venturer - 5/5/2014  12:40 PM

I see the largest pipe there looks to be a MM Eaton, which is my smallest pipe. Be careful with those tiny ones and be sure to puff really slow as I have found that with the super short stem "tongue bite" is easily attained when starting out.
Excited to hear how you progress, I would really suggest something with a slightly larger bowl in the near future.
Enjoy and keep us posted buddy :thumbsup:

I thought the larger one was the Legend, but I could be wrong...I don't even know how to use these darn things yet!! I have been warned on the smaller ones, but thanks for the reminder. I may save those until I am comfortable with this pipe smoking thing, and then use em for my lunch break at work. I am really looking forward to giving this a shot, hope I like it.  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Cfickter

Brian. Great thread. Been thinking about making the jump also but just don't know enough even for a good guess and the first move
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

In my opinion the best place to start is right here
http://corncobpipe.com/

They also sell a Ten Pipe Grab Bag of Seconds, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them other than maybe a small cosmetic flaw, gets you a great start of 10 pipes for $30

Then pick yourself p a pouch of Carter Hall and some pipe cleaners and you are set up and not out alot of cash.
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

nirab

Well, the baccy has landed! Now, time to give this pipe business a whirl!  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

toby2

nirab

Quotetoby2 - 5/13/2014  9:18 PM

cool stash!

now I just gotta figure out what to do with it!  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Kevin48438

Wow.   That's actually a lot of tobacco.   If a local store sells bulk tobacco, they will probably let you sample them for free.   Especially if it is one that you buy cigars from.   I would google or ask around about a pipe club.   I belong to one and we meet one night per month.  It's a great place to learn from vets and sample as well.    One tip: reserve pipes for different kinds of blends.   One for aromatics, one for english, one for straight virginias.   The tobacco actually imparts flavor into the pipe.   If you smoke that english blend, then smoke the vanilla in it right after, you will taste the latakia from the english bowl you smoked.  (Latakia is what gives it that spicy flavor)
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

05Venturer

QuoteKevin48438 - 5/13/2014  10:39 PM

Wow.   That's actually a lot of tobacco.   If a local store sells bulk tobacco, they will probably let you sample them for free.   Especially if it is one that you buy cigars from.   I would google or ask around about a pipe club.   I belong to one and we meet one night per month.  It's a great place to learn from vets and sample as well.    One tip: reserve pipes for different kinds of blends.   One for aromatics, one for english, one for straight virginias.   The tobacco actually imparts flavor into the pipe.   If you smoke that english blend, then smoke the vanilla in it right after, you will taste the latakia from the english bowl you smoked.  (Latakia is what gives it that spicy flavor)

Great advice  :thumbsup:
Kent

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.