Wine and Cigars

Started by Joelala, 06/20/2014 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo66

QuoteKen Kelley - 1/6/2015  2:44 PM  I don't know about this one. The aroma of the paper bag the wine bottle is in seems to interfere with the more delicate nuances of the cigar butts you find on the sidewalk.  :biggrin:

I think I detect a hint of p*ss and maybe some far away sh*t on the retrohale, reminiscent of a park bench I use to know. As the butt approaches it's final turd, the paper bag kick is more pronounced and I'm in heaven, what a great pairing with a lovely Chateau homeless 2015

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

headfirst

I like a Cab or Syrah when I'm having wine with a cigar.  I'll have to give Port a try.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

ntanner

Havn't done wine with a cigar. Never been much of a wine drinker, More into malted beverages with my cigars.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

headfirst

A brown ale is always a nice pairing, can't go wrong there...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

headfirst

That doesn't ring a bell, where do you get it?
-Charles Spurgeon

Joelala

I bought a Port last year and just have not tried it yet, looking forward to it
Joe

frankj1

QuoteJoelala - 3/5/2015  6:51 AM

I bought a Port last year and just have not tried it yet, looking forward to it
one man's opinion, but I'd smoke a cigar that won't be dominated by the sweetness and thick mouthfeel of the port, maybe something like a sturdy maduro? something that can share the spotlight, probably the kind of smoke you'd turn to after a satisfying meal, which is also a good time to sip a nice port...

Frank

Jay'D

I'm more a dessert wine kinda guy so I don't know what good cigar will go with that.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Mojo66

QuoteJay'D - 4/20/2015  1:41 AM  I'm more a dessert wine kinda guy so I don't know what good cigar will go with that.

Swisher Sweets  :biggrin:

Brlesq

QuoteJay'D - 4/20/2015  1:41 AM

I'm more a dessert wine kinda guy so I don't know what good cigar will go with that.

In all seriousness, an Acid Kuba Kuba will pair great with a ruby or tawny port.  I smoke very, very few "flavored" cigars, but that pairing is one that I enjoy once or twice a year, especially on a crisp Autumn day.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

sjn1117

Nothing like some MD 20/20 orange jubilee and a good Optimo!
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Mojo66

Quotesjn1117 - 4/20/2015  7:10 PM  Nothing like some MD 20/20 orange jubilee and a good Optimo!

Man I wish I could tell if you're kidding or not :biggrin:  

but yeah that sounds like the ideal pairing if you're stuck at a gas station :dancing:

sjn1117

why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Joelala

Bringing back an old one.

I finally tried the port I had from door county with a cigar. It was my first port, and I did like it but thought it was a little sweet. I really did enjoy the flavors it brought out of the cigar. Anyone know of a port that is a little less sweet? I normally drink Cabs so this was definitely on the sweet side for me. But overall enjoyed the experience.
Joe

Jackal

QuoteBrlesq - 4/20/2015  4:51 PM

QuoteJay'D - 4/20/2015  1:41 AM

In all seriousness, an Acid Kuba Kuba will pair great with a ruby or tawny port.  I smoke very, very few "flavored" cigars, but that pairing is one that I enjoy once or twice a year, especially on a crisp Autumn day.

I would think that ACID One would pair well too.  It is aged in wine barrels, so the profile is already there.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cfickter

I find that a Malbec goes well with a medium strength cigar, neither would overpower the other.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

horrido

QuoteCfickter - 7/31/2015  1:26 PM

I find that a Malbec goes well with a medium strength cigar, neither would overpower the other.

Yup maybe even a Merlot but cider may go well to but I will stick with Scotch. :-)
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Mojo66

QuoteJoelala - 7/31/2015  1:26 PM  Bringing back an old one.  I finally tried the port I had from door county with a cigar. It was my first port, and I did like it but thought it was a little sweet. I really did enjoy the flavors it brought out of the cigar. Anyone know of a port that is a little less sweet? I normally drink Cabs so this was definitely on the sweet side for me. But overall enjoyed the experience.

Your Port was probably a Vintage or Late Bottle Vintage (LBV) and they tend to be sweet. Real good on certain occasions but not as enjoyable with a cigar as a good Tawny Port in my opinion. A good Tawny aged just right is a nectar.

LBVs are usually red, ruby and opaque. Heavier and much sweeter. Tawnys are not opaque, much less sweet and are topaz-amber-brown in color.

Joelala

QuoteMojo66 - 7/31/2015  10:04 PM

QuoteJoelala - 7/31/2015  1:26 PM  Bringing back an old one.  I finally tried the port I had from door county with a cigar. It was my first port, and I did like it but thought it was a little sweet. I really did enjoy the flavors it brought out of the cigar. Anyone know of a port that is a little less sweet? I normally drink Cabs so this was definitely on the sweet side for me. But overall enjoyed the experience.

Your Port was probably a Vintage or Late Bottle Vintage (LBV) and they tend to be sweet. Real good on certain occasions but not as enjoyable with a cigar as a good Tawny Port in my opinion. A good Tawny aged just right is a nectar.

LBVs are usually red, ruby and opaque. Heavier and much sweeter. Tawnys are not opaque, much less sweet and are topaz-amber-brown in color.

Thanks for the info!!!
Joe

vw77guy

I think they pair very well together, and like anything, it's trial and error.  Some things wont mix, but others are a match made in heaven.  I had a cigar by Chinnock Cellars that was made specifically to pair with their wine.  It was awesome!  

If you were looking to do a pairing, I suggest a maduro with a port.... Yumm.

DonM

Quotesjn1117 - 4/20/2015  8:10 PM

Nothing like some MD 20/20 orange jubilee and a good Optimo!

:lmao:

"The Curmudgeon"

ReinadoCigars

There's a wine brand called moscato that they say pairs up great with cigars. Anyone ever heard of it?

metalhead y cigarguy

I've had a cigar with wine once. It was a blush and it didn't pair well. I've had Brandy with a cigar a couple times and I didn't care for that either. Not much of a wine and Brandy drinker though.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

Caveman Steve

QuoteReinadoCigars - 8/1/2015  4:55 PM  There's a wine brand called moscato that they say pairs up great with cigars. Anyone ever heard of it?

Moscato is a semi sweet to sweet white wine, typically from Italy, but it is produced everywhere.  It's a lighter bodied dessert wine.  Never had it with a cigar, although I do enjoy a nice port wine with a cigar.  I can see where it might be a good match after dinner.  Never know til you try.     :biggrin:  

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

danb6177

QuoteMojo66 - 7/31/2015  10:04 PM

Ive been recently drinking more wine than beer (craft beer put 25 pounds on me last year lol). I do like wine with a cigar and someone mentioned port with a cigar at dinner this week.

Would you suggest as a first try at a port to get a tawny? Another question i have is alcohol content, is it the same as wine?

I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.