"A fine cigar is like a fine woman. They come in all shapes and sizes. Treat them tenderly and lovingly. Caress their skin, admire their beauty, fondle them with reverence. Bring them slowly to your lips, enjoy their flavor, their aroma. Contemplate their essence, their dependability, and forgive them their weaknesses - if there be any. Revel in the rituals, their simplicity and their enduring meanings. Do these things, my son, and the blessings of life shall always be upon you." -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

Main Menu

.2 difference?

Started by Vroomp, 08/15/2014 07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vroomp

Interesting scores on this periods critiques! Surprised to see the Liberty is just barely ahead of the Flathead...... $ 4.20 Vs. $12.50.... Makes ya wonder..... :?:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Cigary

I"m not surprised really...all who partake in this hobby have taste profiles that are different and for those who can find less expensive cigars celebrate at the thought of finding cigars that don't break them financially.  While I do love certain expensive  cigars I also love some cheaper ones and that's cause for celebration.  I like Liberty Cigars but can't stand the pricing...a $10 cigar and up.... to me is gouging...but that's just me.

05Venturer

QuoteCigary - 8/15/2014  9:09 PM

I"m not surprised really...all who partake in this hobby have taste profiles that are different and for those who can find less expensive cigars celebrate at the thought of finding cigars that don't break them financially.  While I do love certain expensive  cigars I also love some cheaper ones and is cause for celebration.  I like Liberty Cigars but can't stand the pricing...a $10 cigar and up to me is gouging...but that's just me.

x2
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

sjn1117

Case in point the Illusione Rothschild.  Very inexpensive and very popular. A damn fine cigar too I might add.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

biggsy16

Speaking of the Rothschild, where can a redneck north of the border get his hands on some,i have found a few sites but the sell them in a box of fifty,
Cheers,Rich
Never done being a Dad

nwb

This is a list of the cigars that have averaged over 90 points on a critique.  Notice anything?  Over half of them are cigars that I would call everyday smokes.  They aren't expensive and are pretty readily available.  It just proves that you don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy a really great cigar.

Arturo Fuente Anejo Reserva No. 50
Ave Maria (Core line) Crusader
Camacho Liberty 2012
Camacho Liberty 2013
Camacho Liberty 2014
CAO Flathead V450 Sparkplug
Casa Fernandez Arsenio Robusto Grande
Drew Estate My Uzi Weighs A Ton (MUWAT) Churchill
Fratello Corona
Headley Grange (by Crowned Heads) Corona Gorda
Herrera Esteli (by Drew Estate) Corona
Hoyo de Monterrey (Cuban) Le Hoyo Du Roi
Jameson Santos de Miami Haven
La Flor Dominicana Colorado Oscuro No. 3
Leaf & Bean Leaf and Bean by Noel
Padron 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo Maduro
Paul Stulac White Blinding Light Torpedo Habano
Quesada Seleccion Espana Corona
Valeroso Primavera Regalo
Vegas Robaina Famosos
Vengeance Maduro Ligero Torpedo
Chief of Shaft

Otter

QuoteCigary - 8/15/2014  10:09 PM

I"m not surprised really...all who partake in this hobby have taste profiles that are different and for those who can find less expensive cigars celebrate at the thought of finding cigars that don't break them financially.  While I do love certain expensive  cigars I also love some cheaper ones and is cause for celebration.  I like Liberty Cigars but can't stand the pricing...a $10 cigar and up to me is gouging...but that's just me.

I read the original post and this was my first thought as well...  :bigthumbs:
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Otter

Quotenwb - 8/16/2014  8:09 AM

This is a list of the cigars that have averaged over 90 points on a critique.  Notice anything?  Over half of them are cigars that I would call everyday smokes.  They aren't expensive and are pretty readily available.  It just proves that you don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy a really great cigar.

Camacho Liberty 2012
Camacho Liberty 2013
Camacho Liberty 2014
Fratello Corona
Vegas Robaina Famosos

You can't go wrong with a Fratello Corona  ;-)
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

The Burn Ward

QuoteCigary - 8/15/2014  10:09 PM

My math: Say you buy 7 $4.00 and 1 $10.00 cigars, then you only paid $4.75 a smoke. If the lowest priced smoke is worth the average then you did good.

StogieDad

When I rate a cigar, value plays a part.  A $5 stick (Rothschilde, Cromagnon) that smokes really really good gets a bit of a boost in ratings because of the value.  Conversely, a $15 stick has to overcome it's price point, which obviously can be done.  But it has to be superb to not feel like I should have just bought a $5 stick.

The other end of the stick is the collecting aspect, something I really enjoy.  I don't have anything I don't intend to smoke, but once I got heavy in the hobby,  one of the most fun parts is searching and collecting those HTF sticks.  Some are awesome, some are not.

I think I went a bit off topic, but I say it to say.  I am rate a Rothschilde 4.5 and a FFP a 4.5.  I would personally prefer the FFP, but the value of the Rothschilde bumps it into the same category since I can enjoy it for less, more often, and in less time.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Brlesq

QuoteStogieDad - 8/16/2014  9:20 AM

When I rate a cigar, value plays a part.  A $5 stick (Rothschilde, Cromagnon) that smokes really really good gets a bit of a boost in ratings because of the value.  Conversely, a $15 stick has to overcome it's price point, which obviously can be done.  But it has to be superb to not feel like I should have just bought a $5 stick.

The other end of the stick is the collecting aspect, something I really enjoy.  I don't have anything I don't intend to smoke, but once I got heavy in the hobby,  one of the most fun parts is searching and collecting those HTF sticks.  Some are awesome, some are not.

I think I went a bit off topic, but I say it to say.  I am rate a Rothschilde 4.5 and a FFP a 4.5.  I would personally prefer the FFP, but the value of the Rothschilde bumps it into the same category since I can enjoy it for less, more often, and in less time.

Well stated.  I agree with everything you said.

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

toby2

QuoteBrlesq - 8/16/2014  9:28 AM  
QuoteStogieDad - 8/16/2014  9:20 AM  When I rate a cigar, value plays a part.  A $5 stick (Rothschilde, Cromagnon) that smokes really really good gets a bit of a boost in ratings because of the value.  Conversely, a $15 stick has to overcome it's price point, which obviously can be done.  But it has to be superb to not feel like I should have just bought a $5 stick.  The other end of the stick is the collecting aspect, something I really enjoy.  I don't have anything I don't intend to smoke, but once I got heavy in the hobby,  one of the most fun parts is searching and collecting those HTF sticks.  Some are awesome, some are not.  I think I went a bit off topic, but I say it to say.  I am rate a Rothschilde 4.5 and a FFP a 4.5.  I would personally prefer the FFP, but the value of the Rothschilde bumps it into the same category since I can enjoy it for less, more often, and in less time.
Well stated.  I agree with everything you said.  

me too.  

junglepete

I agree...and on top of it I will only buy higher end sticks when they are on a deep discount and then even though it cost me more, it was a great deal and that makes me happy too   :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

ntanner

QuoteOtter - 8/16/2014  6:33 AM

Quotenwb - 8/16/2014  8:09 AM

Camacho Liberty 2012
Camacho Liberty 2013
Camacho Liberty 2014
Fratello Corona
Vegas Robaina Famosos

You can't go wrong with a Fratello Corona  ;-)

X2.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Cfickter

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 8/16/2014  9:09 AM  
QuoteCigary - 8/15/2014  10:09 PM  I"m not surprised really...all who partake in this hobby have taste profiles that are different and for those who can find less expensive cigars celebrate at the thought of finding cigars that don't break them financially.  While I do love certain expensive  cigars I also love some cheaper ones and is cause for celebration.  I like Liberty Cigars but can't stand the pricing...a $10 cigar and up to me is gouging...but that's just me.
My math: Say you buy 7 $4.00 and 1 $10.00 cigars, then you only paid $4.75 a smoke. If the lowest priced smoke is worth the average then you did good.
qaqasz

dollar cost averaging?

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Cigary

It's funny when we consider the difference between 'cheaper' and more expensive cigars as to how we want to spend our money on one over the other.  Nathan and StogieDad are pretty much talking some pretty good cigar logic.  There are some HTF and more expensive cigars that truly are excellent smokes and at time I defer to smoking them over some of my favorite cheaper smokes.  It's like being a wine enthusiast where you tend to love some of those expensive wines that can set you back $30 to $50 a bottle and are some amazing wines but it' not something I can afford everyday so I find a wine at $17 a bottle that is very good and buy a case of that.  Is the more expensive wine better...well of course it is but I can't afford it as an everyday wine and the same holds true for cigars...if I could afford my all time favorite cigars ( Cohiba Esplendido and Opus Reserve ) I'd buy those but it's not economically feasible nor would my wife let me do this as she'd be out buying purses and shoes and diamonds.  Sometimes enjoying an Ultra Premium Cigar is a reward in and of itself and if I could smoke Ultra Premiums everyday it would diminish the whole thing.  Rewarding ones self with a very good expensive once in awhile is like renting a Mercedes Benz for the week and not having to actually purchase it....I do this once a year just for the thrill of it and you really appreciate the week of fun.  Incidentally for those of us who live in Atlanta....Sixt.com has MB to rent for a week at $29 a day which is about $237 a week....that's cheaper than renting a lot of compact and economy cars.  It's fun to live like the rich for a week as the wife and I take it over to Savannah and the East Coast.

BewareDaPenguin

"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

nwb

Very well said, although the collecting aspect for me is diminishing in importance.
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.