Aging cigars

Started by Chadboskie, 07/31/2014 06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin48438

Having an inventory is a must.   Also, constantly starting the process so you always have a bunch at various stages.   Example, I buy a box of Padron 3000 maduros every year (on sale).   I smoke them when they are 3 years old or so.   They compare to the 1964 series at that age for about 1/4 the price.  I grab a handfull of OpusX and age them at least 2 years as they improve a ton.  Otherwise it is just boxes I buy.  Say a box of 20: I will smoke 4-6 quite soon, then the rest sit around for a few years as I pluck one out every once in a while.   I also have some 1-5 stick lots that are aging cuz I heard on a podcast or some other source that they age well.  But really the key is to buy lots of cigars and have plenty of storage.

As for peaking, as soon as they seem to be going downhill smoke them up.

As a general rule I think Connecticut Broadleaf and Cameroon wrappers age really well.
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

williegstyles

To add to this debate I would like to hear everyones thought on "cello". Age with or without??? I have heard arguments BOTH ways.
Gregory

Vroomp

When they look like their done I smoke them! :shades:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Longhorn

Quotewilliegstyles - 1/30/2015  9:47 PM

To add to this debate I would like to hear everyones thought on "cello". Age with or without??? I have heard arguments BOTH ways.

Doesn't matter... does it?  :whistle:

Ted

Those strings look pretty tight!
 :-0

ntanner

Cello off in that case im thinking. Thanx for the art Brad. :biggrin:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

SeaGar

Cello is a natural product that I find has more benefit than drawback leaving on the cigar   Hence, you guessed it lol, I leave it on.  But that wasn't always the case.

For years I took the cello off.  I felt I kind of had to because I was going through cigars as fast as... So I took the cello off hoping the resting process went faster.  Now that I have a semi-large(ish) stock, I find the cello has a few advantages.  

- They can protect the cigar from small RH spikes
- They protect the cigar when you are rummaging through your humi
- They can protect your cigar if you are handling liquids to replenish your beads on top of your sticks and... miss (don't ask - rookie mistake lol)
- Placing the date and price helps me recall when I got them and how old they are, and if they went up or down in price
- When I finally do get to smoking it, it again protects the cigar in transport - but it also ensures the band stays on lol.  Bands can get loose with aging

If the cigar is going to be in the box for a couple of years, I don't really see why taking the cello off is of benefit anymore.  But that's just me and again, I didn't always feel that way - I am pretty sure either way, the sticks will be fine.  

Have fun!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.