Coolerdors...I know...not again!

Started by tvolball, 08/18/2014 11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevencardstud

I need to set one of these up.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -Mark Twain

danb6177

gonna be a long time before ill have the inventory to justify a coolidor. But would love to make one eventually. I would use spanish cedar if nothing more than to get the smell.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Jay'D

QuoteMojo66 - 7/14/2015  10:56 AM

QuoteJay'D - 7/14/2015  10:33 AM  
QuoteMacMac - 7/14/2015  12:17 AM  It is a big jump from a tupperdor to a coolerdor! I may need to do another tupperdor and run two of those for a while. I found some Spanish Cedar trays on Amazon that look good and seem to be a good price. Are there other good suppliers of trays?
I'm trying to avoid all that extra work of having to put in that spanish cedar siding so I think I will just keep boxes in mines, the question is how many boxes will fit... :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

Adding Spanish Cedar to a coolerdor doesn't have to be a lot of work. You can just drop a few pieces of it anywhere in it. The trays (Sanish Cedar) will do the trick as well and so will old boxes. As far as the boxes go though, you best make sure it is in fact Spanish Cedar if you want to enjoy all the advantages of using this type of Mahogany.

So me as a novice, how would I know what kind of box the cigar is being shipped in? Is there something to look for?
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

danb6177

QuoteJay'D - 7/14/2015  1:55 PM

QuoteMojo66 - 7/14/2015  10:56 AM

QuoteJay'D - 7/14/2015  10:33 AM  
QuoteMacMac - 7/14/2015  12:17 AM  It is a big jump from a tupperdor to a coolerdor! I may need to do another tupperdor and run two of those for a while. I found some Spanish Cedar trays on Amazon that look good and seem to be a good price. Are there other good suppliers of trays?
I'm trying to avoid all that extra work of having to put in that spanish cedar siding so I think I will just keep boxes in mines, the question is how many boxes will fit... :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

Adding Spanish Cedar to a coolerdor doesn't have to be a lot of work. You can just drop a few pieces of it anywhere in it. The trays (Sanish Cedar) will do the trick as well and so will old boxes. As far as the boxes go though, you best make sure it is in fact Spanish Cedar if you want to enjoy all the advantages of using this type of Mahogany.

So me as a novice, how would I know what kind of box the cigar is being shipped in? Is there something to look for?
Spanish cedar has a very very distinctive smell. But other than that im not sure if the boxes actually say spanish cedar
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

MacMac

You can definitely tell by the smell.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

DonM

My coolers still smell like beer and fish  :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

dddddmorgan

*In a contralto falsetto* "I could tell by the smell the señorita wasn't well!"

I love my coolidor. I would push those of you on the fence to take the plunge. If your smokes aren't in cedar boxes just pick some up from your local B&M. I need to go get another one, I have five in there now and room for probably three more.
Molon Labe!

hennyis1

I'm actually in the process of making a coolidor now.  
I picked up a 70 qt coleman cooler from Home Depot for $40. Gonna clean it out later today with baking soda and hot water.  Thankfully it's been hot as hell here in Seattle so I'll be able to leave it open outside all day tomorrow with plenty of sunshine.  Then in the evening after I bring it in, I'll put some baking soda in a bowl and leave it inside all night long hopefully it'll get any lingering plastic smell gone.  Once it's ready, I'll be able to toss in some spanish cedar trays and the cigar boxes I've been hoarding to help "season" the coolidor and establish a solid environment.  Only thing is, I had purchased two tubes of 65% RH heartfelt beads before I decided to make a coolidor in my regular humidor that won't be enough to adequately establish the RH and temp that's needed.  Until then I'm waiting for a pound of beads to come in the mail as I'll need just a little less than a pound of the beads to establish the stable 65% RH.

I did have a few questions though:

-Does it matter if full cigar boxes are open or closed in a humidor?  I've read a couple of different things, but I was hoping to get some thoughts from fellow geeks here.  I would assume that it would be preferable to open them, but I guess it doesn't really matter in the end?

-I've noticed that some of my cigar boxes have metal hinges.  If I want to age cigars, is it best to remove them from their original boxes so that the metal doesn't affect the environment in anyway like possible rust/corrosion?  

-As far as wood in cigar boxes go, I'm assuming that all decent to higher-end cigars come in some type of spanish cedar box.  But even though I can smell the spanish cedar in most of them, some I honestly can't really tell if it is as the smell isn't as strong and distinct like it is in other cigar boxes -is that an indicator that the box is possibly lacquered or is it just a none Spanish cedar based wood?

-My 50 count humidor is filled to the brim. I ordered some full cigar boxes but I can't put the cigars in the humidor and I don't have any extra humidity beads or tubes for plastic bags or tupperware during the building of my coolidor.  How long can they last in the cigar boxes?  Some of them are shrink wrapped so I don't know if that makes any difference.  

I appreciate any advice and insight.
Thanks!
----------------------------------------------------
Smoking stogies, drinking beer and whisky. Committed to my God, my family, and my country. Go Seahawks!!

StogieDad

Scott, to answer a few questions:

I open all boxes to inspect the cigars before storage.  An occasional opening of them in storage as well just to be sure nothing bad is going on.

Don't worry about the type of boxes or hinges, I have run the same cooler for seven years now, never had any problems from any of that stuff.  Just throw them in there and don't overthink it.

The shrink wrapped ones should be good a few days if you let them rest in the cooler once it is set up, but you can buy some time with some large Ziploc bags and a little humidification (even a damp paper towel) if there is concern over drying them out.

Hope this helps.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

hennyis1

QuoteStogieDad - 7/16/2015  2:21 PM

Scott, to answer a few questions:

I open all boxes to inspect the cigars before storage.  An occasional opening of them in storage as well just to be sure nothing bad is going on.

Don't worry about the type of boxes or hinges, I have run the same cooler for seven years now, never had any problems from any of that stuff.  Just throw them in there and don't overthink it.

The shrink wrapped ones should be good a few days if you let them rest in the cooler once it is set up, but you can buy some time with some large Ziploc bags and a little humidification (even a damp paper towel) if there is concern over drying them out.

Hope this helps.

Yes!  Thank you, Michael!  I appreciate the quick reply!
Oops!  Forgot a question.  Is it worth it to put in a battery operated fan that circulates the air?  I read that some bigger coolidors can have issues with pockets of humidity.  There is a small oust fan that runs auto shuts off after 5 minutes. A bit much?  Haha... thanks!
Smoking stogies, drinking beer and whisky. Committed to my God, my family, and my country. Go Seahawks!!

Kevin48438

I'm a coolidor veteran as well and have learned a couple lessons the hard(ish) way.   I wouldn't do a fan or anything.  However, a few empty boxes or boards or something on the bottom to keep the cigars a couple inches from the bottom would be nice.   Humidity does seem to settle there.  Good, old-fashioned Dawn dishsoap (unscented) is the best for removing plastic odor and any oil they used in the mold when making it.   Scrub it down and rinse it really well.  You can even dry it with some paper towels if you can't leave it out in the sun.  No seasoning or anything is necessary.  I would keep my boxes in there for a few days til the beads arrive.  In ziptop bags also wouldn't hurt
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

1029henry

QuoteMacMac - 7/13/2015  9:17 PM

It is a big jump from a tupperdor to a coolerdor! I may need to do another tupperdor and run two of those for a while.
I found some Spanish Cedar trays on Amazon that look good and seem to be a good price. Are there other good suppliers of trays?

These are the kind of trays I use in my 3 Coolidors. They're around $10 each, if I remember. Very nice Spanish Cedar trays.

Coolidors are very, very easy to maintain. I've been done with wood humidors and their high/low humidity drama for around 5 years. Coolidors/tupperdors....the only way to go.

Nice resurrected thread!
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Longhorn

QuoteMojo66 - 7/14/2015  8:26 AM

Old threads coming back to life.

Maybe we should have a new thread about cellos? You know, the eternal On or Off debate  :biggrin:

For the love of... you had to go there!   :hityou:

Jay'D

QuoteLonghorn - 7/16/2015  7:04 PM

Maybe we should have a new thread about cellos? You know, the eternal On or Off debate  :biggrin:

So longhorn how do you keep yours?

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

dddddmorgan

I don't have a fan in my coolidor.
I check humidity once a week and once every couple of months I take everything out to rotate and check for problems and such.
I find opening it occasionally is enough circulation.
Molon Labe!

Jay'D

Quotedddddmorgan - 7/16/2015  8:12 PM

I don't have a fan in my coolidor.
I check humidity once a week and once every couple of months I take everything out to rotate and check for problems and such.
I find opening it occasionally is enough circulation.
My question is can opening it up to much have a negative effect?? knowing me, I'll be opening it just to admire my beauties and enjoy the aroma.

Mojo66

QuoteJay'D - 7/16/2015  9:44 PM  
Quotedddddmorgan - 7/16/2015  8:12 PM  I don't have a fan in my coolidor.  I check humidity once a week and once every couple of months I take everything out to rotate and check for problems and such. I find opening it occasionally is enough circulation.
My question is can opening it up to much have a negative effect?? knowing me, I'll be opening it just to admire my beauties and enjoy the aroma.

Well the more Spanish cedar and the more cigars you have in there the better it's going to retain humidity when opened and closed. I have one coolerdor I open everyday and it shoots right back up at 65% in a question of minutes after it's closed. More than enough Heartfelt beads and Spanish cedar will more than surely do the trick in a cooler even if you open it often.

But you gotta make sure to season all Spanish cedar in your cooler and stabilize RH BEFORE putting cigars in it.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

dddddmorgan

What Mojo said is on the money.
Make sure it's stabilized, never hurts to have more humidity beads than prescribed.
Point to remember is that an airtight container like the cooler really holds humidity well. I over humidified mine easily until I found the right balance.
Molon Labe!

Jay'D

QuoteMojo66 - 7/16/2015  10:13 PM

QuoteJay'D - 7/16/2015  9:44 PM  
Quotedddddmorgan - 7/16/2015  8:12 PM  I don't have a fan in my coolidor.  I check humidity once a week and once every couple of months I take everything out to rotate and check for problems and such. I find opening it occasionally is enough circulation.

Well the more Spanish cedar and the more cigars you have in there the better it's going to retain humidity when opened and closed. I have one coolerdor I open everyday and it shoots right back up at 65% in a question of minutes after it's closed. More than enough Heartfelt beads and Spanish cedar will more than surely do the trick in a cooler even if you open it often.

But you gotta make sure to season all Spanish cedar in your cooler and stabilize RH BEFORE putting cigars in it.

Well i really don't want to over humidifiy mines with the temp hee being in the high 80 mostly. So if i can keep it around 66 and 67 that would be great. Guess I'll have to play with it until i get it stabalize around that range.

hennyis1

Great info and tips! Much appreciated!  :)

johncw

I've been thinking about getting a large cooler so i can consolidate some of my tupperdores

toby2

get large cooler out of garage.

put cigars in.

put humidity device in.

check every now and then. (or in my case once every few months.) 

the end

:biggrin:  

Longhorn

QuoteJay'D - 7/16/2015  7:13 PM

QuoteLonghorn - 7/16/2015  7:04 PM

So longhorn how do you keep yours?

:hityou:  X 2

hennyis1

Ok, so last night I put the cooler in the tub and ran hot water and sloshed it around.  Then I emptied some baking soda into the water and swished it around again and left it in there for about 8 hours.  After I rinsed it out and wiped it down, I left a bowl of baking soda in there overnight for about 6 hours.  Today's looking to be about 80 in Seattle so it's sitting outside hopefully soaking up the rays while I'm work.  I'm still anticipating some lingering plastic smell so I might swing by the store to get some dawn (only have the organic kind of dish soap -my wife is one of THOSE chicks haha) and see if it'll help get the last of any lingering smell out.  I did read that newspaper loosely crumpled will work wonders as can distilled vinegar so I guess if I get really desperate I can go that route too.  ;P?

I am SO stoked, gents!

Mojo66

Good for you Scott. Now the real fun part begins, you get to fill it :dancing:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.