Coolerdors...I know...not again!

Started by tvolball, 08/18/2014 11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay'D

So ummmm, what about using a used cooler, like one that has been around for a couple of years? Anything to look for or be aware of if using one of those?  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:
It just dawned on me that I have one home that hasn't been used in god knows how long, should already have that plastic smell taken care of. Can't I just use that and buy a new one should the need for a cooler arise after?
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

hennyis1

QuoteJay'D - 7/17/2015  10:58 AM

So ummmm, what about using a used cooler, like one that has been around for a couple of years? Anything to look for or be aware of if using one of those?  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:
It just dawned on me that I have one home that hasn't been used in god knows how long, should already have that plastic smell taken care of. Can't I just use that and buy a new one should the need for a cooler arise after?

When I was looking into the coolidor thing, I debated this too.  But from what I gathered it seems everyone recommended getting a brand new cooler as older ones had a higher risk of bacteria and mold.  So to be on the safe side getting a new one should assauge those fears.
But honestly, if it's been hardly used and cleaned out really well, perhaps it will suffice?  Question is, are you willing to take the risk?   :fencing:
----------------------------------------------------
Smoking stogies, drinking beer and whisky. Committed to my God, my family, and my country. Go Seahawks!!

hennyis1

QuoteMojo66 - 7/17/2015  10:22 AM

Good for you Scott. Now the real fun part begins, you get to fill it :dancing:

When I start thinking about this part, I can't help with the drooling... lol!
Smoking stogies, drinking beer and whisky. Committed to my God, my family, and my country. Go Seahawks!!

Mojo66

QuoteJay'D - 7/17/2015  1:58 PM  So ummmm, what about using a used cooler, like one that has been around for a couple of years? Anything to look for or be aware of if using one of those?  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  It just dawned on me that I have one home that hasn't been used in god knows how long, should already have that plastic smell taken care of. Can't I just use that and buy a new one should the need for a cooler arise after?

You could do that BUT you need to clean it thoroughly. Bleach would be a good start and I would do the bleach operation a few times just to be on the safe side. Then it's cleaning with clear water, drying and getting rid of any remaining chlorine or plastic smell either with Baking powder or an ozonator. You can get a real cheap ozonator for around $10 on Amazon and they really do work.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

toby2

been using any cooler I have available for my overflow and never had an issue. I get being extra careful for many reasons and of course it's probably prudent. I'm to lazy I guess.  I just wipe it out and use it. the one I'm using now has been going for about a year. no issues.

hennyis1

Quick questions!  I got a few spanish cedar cigar trays in the mail and was wondering if I have to season them on their own or can I just toss them in the coolidor as I try to calibrate RH and temp?  I was thinking of wiping them down first with a new sponge lightly dampened with distilled water but not sure if that's overkill.  Thoughts?

As always, thanks for the replies.   :hypno:

Jay'D

QuoteMojo66 - 7/17/2015  2:32 PM

QuoteJay'D - 7/17/2015  1:58 PM  So ummmm, what about using a used cooler, like one that has been around for a couple of years? Anything to look for or be aware of if using one of those?  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  It just dawned on me that I have one home that hasn't been used in god knows how long, should already have that plastic smell taken care of. Can't I just use that and buy a new one should the need for a cooler arise after?

You could do that BUT you need to clean it thoroughly. Bleach would be a good start and I would do the bleach operation a few times just to be on the safe side. Then it's cleaning with clear water, drying and getting rid of any remaining chlorine or plastic smell either with Baking powder or an ozonator. You can get a real cheap ozonator for around $10 on Amazon and they really do work.

Well the only things thats been in it is ice and beverages...but mostly its just ends up with water...I will take a look at it and a good whiff see what smell it has. I just might end up cooler shopping this weekend.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

hennyis1

QuoteJay'D - 7/17/2015  2:12 PM

QuoteMojo66 - 7/17/2015  2:32 PM

Well the only things thats been in it is ice and beverages...but mostly its just ends up with water...I will take a look at it and a good whiff see what smell it has. I just might end up cooler shopping this weekend.

If you do end up going shopping for a new one, I'd recommend Walmart. I got a Coleman 70 qt cooler for $40 at Home Depot and had it shipped for free as I was too lazy to drive down to the local one and just pick it up.  Walmart had the same one for the same price but it wasn't even further.  One tip is, "go as big as you can" as that seems to be the message from every article, post, and thread I've read regarding making a coolidor -apparently they will get filled up rather quickly.   :biggrin:

Mojo66

Quotehennyis1 - 7/17/2015  2:59 PM  Quick questions!  I got a few spanish cedar cigar trays in the mail and was wondering if I have to season them on their own or can I just toss them in the coolidor as I try to calibrate RH and temp?  I was thinking of wiping them down first with a new sponge lightly dampened with distilled water but not sure if that's overkill.  Thoughts?  As always, thanks for the replies.   :hypno:

Since it is actually the trays (or Spanish cedar in any form) your are seasoning in a coolerdor, because the cooler itself will not absorb or release humidity, you better just do it directly in there and stabilize your cooler with all that will actually go in it wood wise. I put DW in a few small plastic containers and let the humidity slowly rise, opening it daily to ventilate, until it reaches the right RH%. Then i put in my humidifier of choice set at the right RH, remove the DW containers and let it all sit for a few days and if stable after that, it's ready to put cigars in. That's just my way though ;-)

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

hennyis1

QuoteMojo66 - 7/17/2015  2:29 PM

Quotehennyis1 - 7/17/2015  2:59 PM  Quick questions!  I got a few spanish cedar cigar trays in the mail and was wondering if I have to season them on their own or can I just toss them in the coolidor as I try to calibrate RH and temp?  I was thinking of wiping them down first with a new sponge lightly dampened with distilled water but not sure if that's overkill.  Thoughts?  As always, thanks for the replies.   :hypno:

Since it is actually the trays (or Spanish cedar in any form) your are seasoning in a coolerdor, because the cooler itself will not absorb or release humidity, you better just do it directly in there and stabilize your cooler with all that will actually go in it wood wise. I put DW in a few small plastic containers and let the humidity slowly rise, opening it daily to ventilate, until it reaches the right RH%. Then i put in my humidifier of choice set at the right RH, remove the DW containers and let it all sit for a few days and if stable after that, it's ready to put cigars in. That's just my way though ;-)

Perfect!  Thank you, Sébastien!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.