Making Humidor for College

Started by AndritVoor, 07/13/2009 03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndritVoor

Hello.  I'm new to the cigar world (just smoked my first at my brother's graduation, unfortunately I never had one at my own).  I decided to make a small inexpensive humidor to keep a supply of cigars in for when I'm at college.  I bought a canister similar to this one ( http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=M-CJ02&cat=10 ), but made of ceramic at the local goodwill.     Does anyone have any suggestions for a humidification system?  I was thinking one of those drymistat tubes might work, then I could attach a hygrometer to the top.  Also, since there is no cedar in it, I do not have to season it, right?  If I do add some strips of cedar at a later point, will I have to season them as I go?
Thanks!

ljlemer

For a simple setup you should keep it simple. Forget the cedar. Straight humidifiers that you toss in upright with the sticks sounds good. Make sure they don't leak! A flat one needs a flat space, either underneath the sticks, or on top, but only if all the cigars are the same size, or it won't be flat. Underneath will make the top not flat.
Hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate. Unless you can manage to make them more accurate, and there's a way, forget them. Someone else will explain the way. Keep the cellophane on the cigars!
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

b128thopen

there is one key thing you need to remember about humidors.  THEY ARE NEVER BIG ENOUGH!  Your collection will grow and you will just need another one and another and another....Do yourself a favor and research cooladoors if you are going to be making your own.
As far as humidification goes, the % beads are a great way to cheaply humidify your cigars.  Check out http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14 for some good products.
Remember who you are, where you come from, and who you represent.

Just started the Humidor.
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=b128thopen

Samhain2000

Listen to those guys! It will never be big enough and the humidity beads do work the best! I just started using them a few months ago.

And tell your roommates to keep their dick beaters off your cigars!
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

ljlemer

Humidity beads are definitely the best, but this is a beginner with his first storage item. He will grow into larger humis and better products to keep them in top shape. Now he needs something he can easily hide from his roommate and friends that stop by.

Thomas Mann

Jackal

Put them in a box labeled "Textbooks", then friends and roommates will avoid it like the plague.  :-)

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

b128thopen

QuoteJackal - 7/13/2009  11:25 AM

Put them in a box labeled "Textbooks", then friends and roommates will avoid it like the plague.  :-)

:lmao:

Just keep some swishers or grape owls in A SEPERATE humi and give them to your friends when they want to bumm a smoke....that will keep them from coming back!  :dancing:

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=b128thopen

ljlemer

The Don Carlos have black lines under the label.

Thomas Mann

Jackal

Quoteljlemer - 7/13/2009  9:43 AM

The Don Carlos have black lines under the label.

:offtopic:

I think this one went with the A. Fuente thread

Jackal

Quoteljlemer - 7/13/2009  9:20 AM

Humidity beads are definitely the best, but this is a beginner with his first storage item. He will grow into larger humis and better products to keep them in top shape. Now he needs something he can easily hide from his roommate and friends that stop by.

Now to really get the fur flying.  If he needs to save money, does crystal kitty litter actually work in place of humi-beads? :?:

smoke 1

Alright Andrew my friend I have a small Perdomo humidor (One of the 20 counts ) I can send your way  including a jar of Humicare.  Send me a PM if your interested.  This will be way better than dealing with a jar, and the Humicare stuff is great.
-Brian

lowpro75

Quotesmoke 1 - 7/13/2009  7:34 PM

Alright Andrew my friend I have a small Perdomo humidor (One of the 20 counts ) I can send your way  including a jar of Humicare.  Send me a PM if your interested.  This will be way better than dealing with a jar, and the Humicare stuff is great.

You're a generous man, that's why I'm going to kill you last. :biggrin:

Seriously though, that is a nice offer.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

nukbucko

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

nukbucko

This is why CigarGeeks is a great site
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

Rebecca Silverwolf

That is a really nice offer.   :cool:
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

b128thopen

Jackal

Quotesmoke 1 - 7/13/2009  4:34 PM

Very cool of you  :rocker:

smoke 1

Hey I know how college is I am still paying loans back, besides that is why I love it here we all help each other out  kind of like a "Pay It Forward"
 :biggrin:  :biggrin:
-Brian

gitfiddl

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.