Dry Boxing

Started by SparklePony, 09/02/2014 05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chip Lemaster

QuoteSparklePony - 9/3/2014  8:22 PM

We'll have to start calling you Lip Chipmaster.

:dancing:  :dancing:  :dancing:

Ted

QuoteCigary - 9/3/2014  6:55 PM  

QuoteBrlesq - 9/3/2014  3:04 PM  
QuoteCigary - 9/3/2014  2:40 PM  I have a lot of time invested in storing/resting/aging cigar over the last 15 years and did a ton of reading because I wanted to understand the whole process of the science of it.  The emphasis is upon recreating or having an environment as close to the natural  one it comes from and allowing the essential oils to interact within the confines of your humidor is key.  You want a 70/70 environment for long term aging where there is relatively no swings in RH and temps and while this makes the process that much harder to define because you have to wait for years to see where it takes you....I find it worthwhile because the flavor/profile is so good that you are rewarded with your patience.  Does this mean you can put just any cigar into this kind of thing....Nope..you want a really good cigar blend with a complex profile because you will see how well it blends over the years.  Preferably a cigar with a RG that will make it all worthwhile.  Smaller vitolas are not really an ideal candidate for this type of thing as you want a cigar that has a good size RG to it....mine start at 50 and up.  Aging is not for everybody because you won't see a change for years....it's time consuming where one has to be diligent and patient and you keep your aged cigars in a different humidor for long term and smoke what you normally like in other humidors.  Dry boxing is one method of trying to change the overall nature of a cigar that was overly humidified...does it work....maybe... but not enough to really  state unequivocally that it does.  Just keep your cigars in an RH suitable for smoking instead of changing environments one day to another.
You've covered a lot of good territory on that, Gary.  But you left one thing out:  How do you feel about cigars in foil "fresh lock" pouches?   :confused:  

One would have to be wearing a tin foil hat before ever using those pouches...I understand they contain radiation...I could be wrong.  lol

hahaha!

Thanks for the info Gary! I hadn't seen any comments on ring gauge suitability for aging before. That's something interesting that I haven't thought about. Is that because you are more likely to have a higher number of different leaves in a higher ring gauge, so more flavors to marry over the years?

Also, thoughts on wet-packed cigars and long term storage?

nwb

QuoteBrlesq - 9/3/2014  3:04 PM
But you left one thing out:  How do you feel about cigars in foil "fresh lock" pouches?   :confused:

I hear that cigars in "fresh lock" pouches age particularly well in dumpsters.
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.