Facing the #1 Problem on this Site

Started by Vroomp, 09/28/2014 04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vroomp

That's a great price! :cool: Please let us know how it works for you.... :goodluck:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Cfickter

Post some pics once you get it installed and filled.  Interested in hearing more
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

blondie

QuoteCfickter - 11/4/2014  7:39 PM

Post some pics once you get it installed and filled.  Interested in hearing more

Will do. I think I will go with beads for the humidity medium. Hoping it will be less maintenance this winter. The heat always wreaks havoc on my humidity. Maybe the cooling effect will reduce the work. Don't tell the wife, but now I need to buy some more boxes.  :-)

hebron

- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Mojo66

You have been warned, nice one Thomas, can I steal it sometimes?
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

ItalianGuido

Definitely want to know how it works
"Cigars!"  - Gene Hackman from "Young Frankenstein"

hebron

QuoteMojo66 - 11/5/2014  3:40 PM

You have been warned, nice one Thomas, can I steal it sometimes?

Go right ahead Sebastien  :-)
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

DonM

My collection don't get any bigger, but the CC bill does.  I smoke em as fast as Brown can bring em

"The Curmudgeon"

blondie

So I got the new Humidor Yesterday.  Have moved all the inventory in there that I can.  Gave the shelves a quick wipe with a clean sponge just damp with distilled water.  (to remove any dust).  Filled the container that came with it with Heartfelt beads.  I'm waiting on some new mesh bags as the tray they provide will only hold half a pound of beads.  Temp got down to 66 in about an hour while empty.  It's been running about 18 hours now, and temps seem stable, just working on the RH now.  It seems to be holding 60% pretty consistent, and will leave the tray with sponge distilled water in there for a week.  Should be consistent by then.  There are currently 369 sticks in there now, and another 30 on the way.  A box of Ashton Crystal Belicoso's "It's A Boy" to celebrate the birth of my son on October 28th, and a box of Avo Heritage Robusto's.  It should hold right at the 400 it's rated at.  Can't figure out how to attach photos though...

kxthor911

Quoteblondie - 11/11/2014  1:38 PM  So I got the new Humidor Yesterday.  Have moved all the inventory in there that I can.  Gave the shelves a quick wipe with a clean sponge just damp with distilled water.  (to remove any dust).  Filled the container that came with it with Heartfelt beads.  I'm waiting on some new mesh bags as the tray they provide will only hold half a pound of beads.  Temp got down to 66 in about an hour while empty.  It's been running about 18 hours now, and temps seem stable, just working on the RH now.  It seems to be holding 60% pretty consistent, and will leave the tray with sponge distilled water in there for a week.  Should be consistent by then.  There are currently 369 sticks in there now, and another 30 on the way.  A box of Ashton Crystal Belicoso's "It's A Boy" to celebrate the birth of my son on October 28th, and a box of Avo Heritage Robusto's.  It should hold right at the 400 it's rated at.  Can't figure out how to attach photos though...

You should probably season well before you put cigars in there, if you want your sticks to be in good shape still. Read about seasoning.

Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

blondie

Quotekxthor911 - 11/11/2014  1:46 PM

Quoteblondie - 11/11/2014  1:38 PM  So I got the new Humidor Yesterday.  Have moved all the inventory in there that I can.  Gave the shelves a quick wipe with a clean sponge just damp with distilled water.  (to remove any dust).  Filled the container that came with it with Heartfelt beads.  I'm waiting on some new mesh bags as the tray they provide will only hold half a pound of beads.  Temp got down to 66 in about an hour while empty.  It's been running about 18 hours now, and temps seem stable, just working on the RH now.  It seems to be holding 60% pretty consistent, and will leave the tray with sponge distilled water in there for a week.  Should be consistent by then.  There are currently 369 sticks in there now, and another 30 on the way.  A box of Ashton Crystal Belicoso's "It's A Boy" to celebrate the birth of my son on October 28th, and a box of Avo Heritage Robusto's.  It should hold right at the 400 it's rated at.  Can't figure out how to attach photos though...

You should probably season well before you put cigars in there, if you want your sticks to be in good shape still. Read about seasoning.

I figured since I am sitting at somewhere between 64 to 68%, and the cigars are in that same range, I can acclimate the whole thing.  If it stays in that range, shouldn't it be ok?

kxthor911

The problem is, is that it will swing until it stabilizes...give it time, at least a couple of days. You might be happy later. I mean you do not have to do it that away, just a suggestion. Try to help sir.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

blondie

Figured out how to add photos! Thanks DonM!

Here is the full frontal:

Cool Blue Light:

Without the light:

Shelves (I added the cedar trays)

The drawers hold quite a bit:

Bottom Shelf:

The only drawback I see is that it will not hold tall boxes like the one for the Four Kicks, hence the extra cedar tray, filled with Four Kicks.  So it would be equally unaccommodating of things like  the Tatuaje boxes.  Really any box stacked 5x4 will not fit. 

Camshaft83

Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

blondie

Quoteblondie - 11/11/2014  3:03 PM  

Figured out how to add photos! Thanks DonM!

Here is the full frontal:

Cool Blue Light:

Without the light:

Shelves (I added the cedar trays)

The drawers hold quite a bit:

Bottom Shelf:

The only drawback I see is that it will not hold tall boxes like the one for the Four Kicks, hence the extra cedar tray, filled with Four Kicks.  So it would be equally unaccommodating of things like  the Tatuaje boxes.  Really any box stacked 5x4 will not fit. 

To update the tall boxes comment, you could fit taller boxes in, you would just have to remove one of the shelves.

Rammstein142

UGGGGHHH I want a new humi so bad. Starting to run out of room in my small ones. That does sound like an awesome deal though! I have had some luck looking on craigslist, just every time a good wineador pops up I always some how lack the funds....lol
"There is nothing more agreeable than having a place where one can throw on the floor as many cigar butts as one pleases without the subconscious fear of a maid who is waiting like a sentinel to place an ashtray where the ashes are going to fall."

"Ich kenne keine Parteien mehr, ich kenne nur noch Deutsche!" Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Die Schlacht ist gewonnen , haben die Engländer wurde völlig besiegt." Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource." John F. Kennedy

1029henry

Great setup, and some NICE sticks!!!
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

blondie

Quote1029henry - 11/11/2014  11:20 PM  Great setup, and some NICE sticks!!!

Thanks!  I do like it and think it is stabilizing quite well.  I do like the stuff that is in there.  Especially the Regius Black Label and the Four Kicks.  That box of Arturo Fuente Rosado Magnum R52 was a steal.  My Local B&M matches online prices, which is nice...Got the box of 25 for 137.00!

1029henry

Those are some great cigars at an awesome price  :bigthumbs:
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Vroomp

That is a great price!  I love the Magnums too.....

I had the tower on order but, got a call the one I wanted was out of stock and they wanted to send me a different one so I cancelled my order. Now I am back on the hunt for something that holds at least 2000 and doesn't look like caca. :confused:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

sjn1117

That's a really nice looking set up.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Mojo66

QuoteVroomp - 11/12/2014  5:53 AM  

I had the tower on order but, got a call the one I wanted was out of stock and they wanted to send me a different one so I cancelled my order. Now I am back on the hunt for something that holds at least 2000 and doesn't look like caca. :confused:

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  

Is "caca" a commonly used term in English? I know it is in my maiden language and I have to guess it has the same meaning for you.

It got me curious as to which ones did look like caca to you, any pics ?    :biggrin:

But seriously, a very large tower humidor is probably something I'll invest in soon, if life permits, so I'll take all reliable info on them and I don't know why but I'd be inclined to trust you fully when it comes to storing large amounts of cigars :shy:

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

blondie

QuoteVroomp - 11/12/2014  4:53 AM  

Have you ever checked out Bob Staebell's stuff?  He is local to me here in Richardson, TX.

http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/

No CACA there!

blondie

So here we are at day two, and the humidor is sitting in the high 60's.  I removed the additional humidity media (Sponge in tupperware with distilled water, and the black ice jars) last night, and it has been solid all day.  I say high 60's because my instruments are clearly not as accurate as we would like.  Take a look at this:

Note the positioning of the hygrometers:

The two Xikar on the upper shelf:

The Hygroset II approximately 6 inches lower:

Here is what is interesting, the two Xikars batteries ran down recently, so I replaced the batteries, and did a salt calibration at the same time, with both hygrometers in the same bag.  This illustrates that these are not super accurate devices, as well as how difficult accurately measuring relative humidity really is.  I am currently calibrating a Western Caliber IV using the Boveda calibration kit for the new humidor. 

Hot Stuff x

Great looking vinodor and a nice price.  You couldn't roll-you-own vinodor (with those features) for that cheap.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.