Bomb Squad: Assignment No. 1

Started by BlackIrish, 07/13/2009 09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackal

Just from appearance and pre-light aroma I got a pretty good guess.  If I am right Black Irish is a very generous guy.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

mountedshriner

QuoteJackal - 7/20/2009  1:13 PM

Just from appearance and pre-light aroma I got a pretty good guess.  If I am right Black Irish is a very generous guy.

I would be VERY surprised if this was a $2 cigar. If so, it is the best deal out there, but I think not!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Jackal

I have what appears to be its twin in my humidor, and I was saving it for a special occasion.

I am looking forward to lighting this bad boy up  :biggrin:

lowpro75

Quotemountedshriner - 7/20/2009  4:23 PM

I would be VERY surprised if this was a $2 cigar. If so, it is the best deal out there, but I think not!

I hope it is a $1 cigar.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

mountedshriner

Quotelowpro75 - 7/20/2009  1:49 PM

Quotemountedshriner - 7/20/2009  4:23 PM

I hope it is a $1 cigar.

Me too!! :lmao:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

smoke 1

Alright Jason I guess us Eastern time zoners will have to wait till tomorrow.  Enjoy, I know you will.  Man the anticipation is killin me !!!!
-Brian

Jackal

Thanks again Eddie for letting me be in the first wave of this brave experiment.

Here is my report.

Pre-Light: A fairly light weight cigar.  Scent was mild.  It had just the hints of tobacco and a bit of a grass/ hay kind of undertone.  The initial pre-light draw was a bit tight, but opened right up upon lighting.

17 out of 20

Light and burn:  It lit very easily.  Burn was a bit uneven at times due to a fairly large vein.  However, it never got out of control and was very good at correcting itself.  One thing that I did notice that was unusual was that the wrapper wanted to lift up along the line where it overlapped itself.  The cigar constantly produced a long stream of blue smoke when I was not puffing on it, and it produced voluminous white smoke when it was being puffed.  Ash was salt and pepper and held firmly for a little over an inch before dropping off.  The cigar stayed cool throughout the smoking.

13 out of 15

Construction:

This is a beautiful pyramide.  The head was perfect.  Very nice box press shape.  The wrapper appeared to be wrapped very smoothly and the foot had no apparent tears or any defects.  The leaf was very rustic looking and had mostly small vein lines, although it did have a few water spots.

28 out of 30

Flavor: Surprising light for a maduro.  It opened up with just a hint of pepper and some wood along with a dark chocolate taste.  There was a little spice when exhaled though the nose.  As it burned down to the second third, it picked up a bit more spiciness, not quite a taste, but more of a feeling on the tip of my tongue.  It then mellowed out again and picked up more of a creaminess and some earth, leather and coffee.  In the last third the creaminess went away and I got a bit more spice and leather.  After I was done, it left a coffee flavor on my tongue.

30 out of 35

Summary:  This is a very well constructed cigar with a fairly mellow flavor.  It has nice chocolate and coffee flavors.  It burned cool and never got harsh even at the nub.  This cigar gets an A.

Total score 88

Since I am the last one to do the report, I will put my guess right here.  I think that it is a Padron 1964 Anniversary Torpedo.

BlackIrish

Great reviews, all.  I picked this cigar because I liked it a lot and it's a bit under the radar.  I regret to inform you that I'm not as generous as some of you might have guessed, but the good news is that this cigar is cheaper (a lot cheaper) than what some of you guessed.  

To recap, here are the guesses:

Jackal:  Padron 1964 Anniversary torpedo
LowPro75:  Puro Indio pyramide
smoke1:  Padron or La Aurora
MountedShriner:  LFD
BobCordell:  LFD, maybe ERdM
Podman, guessing solely by description:  LFD chisel

(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

smoke 1

What was it ???????????         AHHH   I GOT TO KNOW !!!!!!
-Brian

Bob Cordell

Well, you gonna keep us on ice?

:dancing:
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

BlackIrish

Oh, yeah:  you probably want to know what this cigar is.  

Well, none of the guesses was right.  The cigar was actually a

Romeo y Julieta Viejo 'B'
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-URA

I tried a 5pk of these via CBid and liked them, so I picked up a box on CBid about a year ago.  With a year of aging, they've gotten REALLY good.  

CI price is a bit high, at $140/bx, but you can usually pick them up for about half that on CBid (although maybe not any longer, now that I've turned you on to them).

Thanks for playing.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Bob Cordell

You have got to be s**tting me!!!!!!!! I dont remember if I reviewed this cigar or not, but I didnt like it the first time I tried it...

:confused:

It was rather dry and harsh, maybe it was a dud.

Anyway as the lowest scorer at a 87, still a respectable number, I stand by my review.

C-Bid, come hither!

:mad:

Thanks again Eddie!!!!!!

smoke 1

Wow I love R&J's, but have never had the Viejo's   wow  thanks again Eddie very cool of you.  I am going to have to send you a surprise in the future
-Brian

lowpro75

Awesome.  I like the 1875 line and have wanted to try the veijos.  Thanks for the try.  I have to imagine that guessing what a cigar is seems like it may be easy but it is probably a 1000 to 1 shot with all the blends out there.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

podman28

Very interesting. I have a few floating around about that old. Maybe I will have to dig one out for a morning smoke. Probably too light for my evening cigar at this point. :confused:

lowpro75

Bob panned this cigar in his review last year.  Going to do an update Bob?
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Jackal

Our first day on the bomb squad and we all blew ourselves up  :shootme:

Guess it is time to send in the next wave.

Thanks again Eddie

nukbucko

I really enjoyed your reviews.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

mountedshriner

Great cigar Eddie!! Thanks so much, and yes, it had me totally fooled!! :confused:

BlackIrish

Quotelowpro75 - 7/21/2009  10:55 PM

Awesome.  I like the 1875 line and have wanted to try the veijos.  Thanks for the try.  I have to imagine that guessing what a cigar is seems like it may be easy but it is probably a 1000 to 1 shot with all the blends out there.

I would have been stunned if anyone guessed this one. Really just wanted to have some fun.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Bob Cordell

Quotelowpro75 - 7/21/2009  11:00 PM

Bob panned this cigar in his review last year.  Going to do an update Bob?

I guess I should, I have passed over these a hundred times on C-Bid thinking "shooooooooooo, nasty"

:sad:

Bob Cordell

I did go back and update my review, it dosent show up below though. Thats only for cigars you havent reviewed yet...

:sad:

lightone

:lmao:  :lmao:  One he found that rolled under his dresser :lmao:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.