VERTIGO - BLITZ lighter is junk

Started by bigjohn20081983, 11/16/2014 09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjohn20081983

Ok so I have used a VERTIGO - BLITZ cigar lighter on and off for awhile now when it works. I carry a backup BIC because this lighter is VERY temperamental and works when it wants. Like right now its not lighting even full of fuel and I can see its getting a spark. I have no clue what is going on with it I have even purged the tank and refilled it let it sit overnight and still no go I have used ronson fuel and the Zippo brand fuel.

What is a decent lighter guys without breaking bank that y'all like?

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

StogieDad

I have one of those and it is fairly reliable with good butane.  Drain it and put some good butane from your B&M and i think you will find quite the difference.  It is not my go to, but I keep it in my car and it is one that usually fires right up.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

DonM

You get what you pay for in lighters and they still don't last forever.  I am in the Xikar camp, when they go out they have a lifetime warranty. Send it to them and they replace it.  You can find them on CBid continuously.

The fuel you are using burnd dirty and eventually will clog the jets which sounds like what happened.  I use Jetline or Xikar butane, quadruple refined, with no problems.  Hope this helps

"The Curmudgeon"

kxthor911

I'm with don here. Xikar is awesome. I found mine on cigarmonster check back often for daily deals.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

DonM

At home I use a Alec Bradley burner, cool lighter.  Downside is it uses more butane than Bruce using propane on a herf

"The Curmudgeon"

Mojo66

Refinement of butane is often the key. Even inexpensive lighters work better with good quality refined butane. I remember when I switched to 3 or 5 times refined, all my cheapo lighters started working better. Then I got a Xikar and never really looked back, but I still use a few inexpensive ones in the car or when working outside
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Ted

I'm in the "good butane is more important than the lighter" camp. I've got a cheap Bugatti 2002 lighter that runs great. Ran through 3 bottles of Colibri butane. Now on the 2nd bottle of Xikar butane. Only issue it ever had was me overfilling it once when switching to the Xikar fuel. Spent a few minutes purging and everything was reliable as could be again.

bigjohn20081983

QuoteTed - 11/17/2014  8:16 AM  I'm in the "good butane is more important than the lighter" camp. I've got a cheap Bugatti 2002 lighter that runs great. Ran through 3 bottles of Colibri butane. Now on the 2nd bottle of Xikar butane. Only issue it ever had was me overfilling it once when switching to the Xikar fuel. Spent a few minutes purging and everything was reliable as could be again.

Huh I did not know you could overfill butane lighters. I know you can a zippo style lighter but never even thunk that could be a issue with butane.

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

bigjohn20081983

Thanks guys I guess I was naive when I used the fuel I chose. I figured its Zippo fuel its going to be decent. ( Ronson is owned by Zippo for what I have seen) That being said this lighter has been temperamental from the day I got it even with the factory fuel. I figured spending the around $13  I spent for a lighter I was buy a decent one.

I just played with it some more and can get a flame from it if I light it with another lighter so like normal I think Yall are right and its a fuel issue. :angry:
Aldous Huxley

Raul Julia

c.petree.1

I also stick with xicar. You can get them super cheap on cbid. I only use the xicar fuel. Had some issues with other brands but none so far with xicar. I've had to send stuff to xicar for repairs and they have replaced it with a nicer lighter every time.

Ted

Quotebigjohn20081983 - 11/17/2014  6:23 AM  

QuoteTed - 11/17/2014  8:16 AM  I'm in the "good butane is more important than the lighter" camp. I've got a cheap Bugatti 2002 lighter that runs great. Ran through 3 bottles of Colibri butane. Now on the 2nd bottle of Xikar butane. Only issue it ever had was me overfilling it once when switching to the Xikar fuel. Spent a few minutes purging and everything was reliable as could be again.

Huh I did not know you could overfill butane lighters. I know you can a zippo style lighter but never even thunk that could be a issue with butane.

Purge the crap out of it. Seriously, depress the fill tube several dozen  times until you no longer get any sounds of gas escaping. Then fill  with good butane once. 3 - 4 seconds. Do not fill a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.  You can get more butane in there with sequential attempts, but this can  just cause problems. I'm assuming it's a pressure issue, but no idea why/how. Maybe gas being released to fast? No idea.

As far as "good" butane goes, I've had no problems with anything triple refined or better. CBid often has the Colibri Premium for pretty cheap in a 3-pk. Last time I ordered the Xikar was really cheap for a 3-pk. I really can't tell the difference though. To me it's just a matter of getting a triple refined product cheap. I have not tried the 5x refined Vector. No idea if it is any better.

nirab

Xikar lighter, Xikar fuel= no worries!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

BewareDaPenguin

I have used Colbri butane for years and also an a big believer in using good butane. I had a nice Colibri lighter for 14 years and lost it this summer playing golf and have been using Ronsons exclusively because I don't want to lose my last nice triple flame. I'm also a big fan of Ronson for the price. :smoker:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

bigjohn20081983

Ok so I have purged the holy s**t out of this lighter so it SHOULD be full empty now so I will toss it in the cigar box and use the BIC or another torch lighter I got from camel years ago until I can acquire some proper fuel to retry with. I am also going to start saving my extra pennies for a xikar lighter and fuel.  Maybe I should ask one of the guys blowing out some of their stuff them may have a extra to sell
Aldous Huxley

Raul Julia

ItalianGuido

My Colibri lighter is the most reliable. It is a twin flame. I had a problem with one of the burners one time, so I called the factory for a replacement. They said to blow out the burner with compressed air, because sometimes particles get stuck in there. That did the trick. If you have a lighter that's misbehaving, that is an easy trick to try
"Cigars!"  - Gene Hackman from "Young Frankenstein"

bigjohn20081983

Ok thanks for the tips. I was able to get it back online and usable after I did the compressed air trick and another change in butane to a 5 time refined it's by Jetline
Aldous Huxley

Raul Julia

sar127

I'm with Ted, purge the crap out of it, but, fill & purge several times over too. Sometimes it needs that pressure to get that extra bit of air out. Hold it upside down the whole time too.
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

The Burn Ward

Use good fuel and everything works better.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.