Cedar wood from Home Depot

Started by mchammer, 12/16/2014 07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Burn Ward

The Ditka Throwback used raw cedar for the boxes and coffins. Great cigars but need rest after being removed from their coffins.

mchammer

I've been looking for a substitute wood to use for my shelving since I took out the cedar ones. Spanish cedar is just too expensive for the amount of wood I need and shipping cost. I found this at Home Depot
•Made in the USA
•Decorative mahogany veneer applied to both sides of this panel
•B-2 plain sliced mahogany - 5 ply construction
•Light weight, all-wood veneer construction
•Precision-cut hardwood plywood panels in convenient small sizes

Would this be acceptable to use in wineador?

dddddmorgan

I would think that what you found would be acceptable, it's just for shelves.
The cigar boxes should be sufficient Spanish cedarfor aroma and other favorable properties.
Molon Labe!

Cfickter

Sorry, I would not use anything but true Spanish Cedar.  The smell is only one reason to use it there is also the ability to control moisture and while Spanish Cedar is part of the Mahogany family there is a reason that it is the only wood used.  I know it is expensive but so is possibly losing some of your cigars.  

Would it help to build shelves from Spanish Cedar strips?  They don't need to be solid shelves and probably shouldn't to help with circulation.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Ken Kelley

Well, folks, let's not get too hung on this need to make everything out of Spanish Cedar. A little bit helps with the aroma and that little bit can be supplied by the cigar boxes the cigars come in. And if you take a careful look at many cigar boxes you'll find that they are constructed of a Spanish Cedar veneer plywood...keep that thought in mind.

The important thing to look at in this discussion is the moisture retaining ability of the wood, its dimensional stability in varying conditions of humidity, and this, that, and the other...including the mythical ability of Spanish Cedar oil to kill mold and bacteria...don't hold your breath on that one!

Going back a few hundred years in history we find that cigar humidors were largely constructed of copper or glass because the hide glue technology of time didn't allow for airtight joints in wood under the influence of humidity. (I realize I'm condensing the history considerably, but bear with me). However, clever woodworkers could construct humidors from mahogany available through the Golden Triangle Trade route early in the scheme of things using expertly executed dovetail joints and the like, supplemented with the hide glue. I wouldn't be able to match their work using the tools available to me now so they did a fantastic job at what they did.

Now follow along with me...ordinary mahogany, given its open cell structure, and other other characteristics of the wood, can absorb moisture on the same order as Spanish Cedar and enjoys similar characteristics of dimensional stability. True, it doesn't have that wonderful aroma...but that can be supplied with judicious application of cigar box parts.

DISCLAIMER: Fortunately, I have the machinery which allows me to convert rough sawn Spanish Cedar planks into any form I want. However, if you go looking for prepared lumber or veneered plywood in the usual venues you are going to s**t yourself at the cost!

So, use ordinary Philippine mahogany for the majority of your internal construction needs and reserve the good stuff for flavor!

Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Brlesq

^^ Our resident Master Woodworker has spoken.  Good enough for me!  :bigthumbs:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

johncw

Ken,

Thanks for the lesson I really appreciate it.

Longhorn

I just took boards off an old cedar patio deck and nailed them to a 48 quart cooler.  Couldn't be happier with how well it keeps my cigars between 40 and 80% rH.  :biggrin:

Kman

QuoteLonghorn - 12/29/2014  5:59 PM  I just took boards off an old cedar patio deck and nailed them to a 48 quart cooler.  Couldn't be happier with how well it keeps my cigars between 40 and 80% rH.  :biggrin:

:lmao: Do you keep the cello on or off of those sticks?

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Longhorn

QuoteKman - 12/29/2014  7:02 PM

QuoteLonghorn - 12/29/2014  5:59 PM  I just took boards off an old cedar patio deck and nailed them to a 48 quart cooler.  Couldn't be happier with how well it keeps my cigars between 40 and 80% rH.  :biggrin:

Cello?  :?:

Brlesq

QuoteLonghorn - 12/29/2014  7:08 PM

What cut did you use on those planks to fit them into your cooler?  Straight cut, 45 degree angle cut, V-cut?  :confused:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Ken Kelley

QuoteBrlesq - 12/29/2014  7:13 AM

QuoteLonghorn - 12/29/2014  7:08 PM

What cut did you use on those planks to fit them into your cooler?  Straight cut, 45 degree angle cut, V-cut?  :confused:

Nothing was said about fitting them INTO the cooler. As I read the blurb, the slats were nailed to the outside with maybe a squirt or two of Liquid Nails to keep them in place. Ordinarily, I would say that the solvent in the adhesive would overpower the taste of the cigars....but assuming that there are only White Owls and King Edwards inside the coolidor I don't think that is a big factor here!
 :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.