Weight Loss in 2015 Contest & Discussion Thread

Started by mike.casey, 01/07/2015 10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike.casey

Kent and Brad, your words have been sent.

A quick update, I've got volunteers for 2 monthly prizes now, and expect to hear about a 3rd soon.
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

bmac7754

Quoteninfiction - 1/7/2015  8:34 PM  I'm in too, already got my word and emailed my pic.   I would also suggest signing up for http://www.myfitnesspal.com/  honestly, it's a pain in the ass to track everything you eat but this app will make you think about what you're eating because you do need to enter it all in. It'll calculate your daily calorie amount based on the goals you put in. It really is a great app, just requires some work, but getting into shape requires work so what's another 10-15 minutes?

Absolutely.  I have one but need to figure out my password again.  Going to reset the counter and start over.  I can shoot you my username and friend you when I do, and anybody else that wants to use that app.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

mike.casey

Quotebmac7754 - 1/7/2015  9:46 PM

Quoteninfiction - 1/7/2015  8:34 PM  I'm in too, already got my word and emailed my pic.   I would also suggest signing up for http://www.myfitnesspal.com/  honestly, it's a pain in the ass to track everything you eat but this app will make you think about what you're eating because you do need to enter it all in. It'll calculate your daily calorie amount based on the goals you put in. It really is a great app, just requires some work, but getting into shape requires work so what's another 10-15 minutes?

Absolutely.  I have one but need to figure out my password again.  Going to reset the counter and start over.  I can shoot you my username and friend you when I do, and anybody else that wants to use that app.

I use it too. I had no idea you could friend people.

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

bmac7754

Quotemike.casey - 
I use it too. I had no idea you could friend people.[/QUOTE]

Oh yah its great.  If on the app its on the bottom on the right ...  then scroll down to friends.  If you are on the website there should be a friend tab right on top.  This way all your friends can see your progress, comments, and view your food diary if you leave it public.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

ninfiction

My myfitnesspal id is cubsguy1. I had no idea you could friend people either.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

bmac7754

i just sent you a friend invite.  Mike shoot me your username or email and I can find you

mike.casey

Quotebmac7754 - 1/7/2015  10:17 PM

i just sent you a friend invite.  Mike shoot me your username or email and I can find you

Email is kmc06005@gmail.com

Ron White

cavenbk

Got the PM Mike. I will have a picture out as soon as I go out and buy a scale haha
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

mike.casey

Quotecavenbk - 1/7/2015  10:45 PM

Got the PM Mike. I will have a picture out as soon as I go out and buy a scale haha

That's the first step! :biggrin:

Ron White

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

mike.casey

Ron White

gpd4

I just signed up for myfitnesspal.  Username gpd4
My greatest fear in life is that when I die, my wife sells my things for what I told her I paid for them...

Caveman Steve

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

05Venturer

Quotemike.casey - 1/8/2015  8:26 AM

:thumbsup:

Nice, already making progress too!

And hungry already LOL :biggrin:
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

mike.casey

So what is everybody doing to try and shed the lbs?

I'll be following a carb cycling approach, and counting calories. Like ninfiction said, it can be a pain to track everything, but it keeps you honest, especially when you are eating out somewhere.

Ron White

headfirst

I'm planning on slimfast and more exercise.  It worked well for me in the past because it's fairly planned out for you already, nothing really to prepare.  The first month is the hardest while your stomach adjusts to less food, after that it's managable...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Caveman Steve

Quotemike.casey - 1/9/2015  9:04 AM  So what is everybody doing to try and shed the lbs?   I'll be following a carb cycling approach, and counting calories. Like ninfiction said, it can be a pain to track everything, but it keeps you honest, especially when you are eating out somewhere.

Eat LESS

Drink LESS (Alcohol)

Drink MORE Water

Exercise MORE

Easy Peasy right!!! 

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

bmac7754

chicken and more fish.  Tracking #'s is key for me and Lots of water.

johncw

Less snacking especially after dinner.
If snacking, snack on a piece of fruit or carrots
Trying to track calories on that fit site but not sure how long I'll be able to keep up with it.
More exercise

mike.casey

We've got 3 confirmed prize packs for the monthly prizes, and a line out for a possible 4th! Thanks to those of you that have contributed so far!

Ron White

ninfiction

My biggest vice is leaving for lunch everyday during work and driving thru a fast food joint. I'd gone about a week until yesterday, my body wasn't liking going without the chemicals.

Sounds stupid, but I have a Jillian Micheals dvd called 30 Day Shred. It's interval training, mix of cardio and weights, you just need some 3lb dumbells to start, doesn't seem like much but trust me, unless you lift the 3 lbs will cause pain.

You can find the videos on youtube, the girls are hot so that helps and it's things like jumping jacks, push ups, squats, some ab stuff. It really does work if you can stick with it. It's only about 25 minutes including the stretching so it's quick. Has 3 levels, you're supposed to do each level for 10 straight days. It's tough, when I get started I usually do every other day until my body can handle it and I don't feel like my heart is going to explode.

Push yourself but take it easy, injuries won't do you anygood.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

05Venturer

I just plan to change my bad eating habits and focus more on a bit less red meat and more fish & chicken.
Eat Less + Move More
Kent

nirab

I am going to increase my juicing, subbing juice for meals. Snack on healthy items, drink plenty of water, reduce (not eliminate!) my coffee and ice cream consumption, and not eat after 6pm during the week. Toss in some exercise, a bit of laughter, some cigars, and the occasional chocolate treat, and I am on the way to shedding my "baby fat"!!  :biggrin:  :shy:  :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

nirab

Quotemike.casey - 1/9/2015  9:42 AM

We've got 3 confirmed prize packs for the monthly prizes, and a line out for a possible 4th! Thanks to those of you that have contributed so far!

How is the prize pack thing working? I think I could come up with a few cigars... :shy:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

mike.casey

I bought an ebook not long ago geared towards eating to perform since I am also trying to maintain/gain strength while dropping the weight. The guy that wrote has a PHD in this stuff, so he's not just some 'diet guru' and he put this chart in the book. It compares the importance of each aspect of 'dieting' as far as effect on body composition.

photo Diet_zps208801de.png

As you can see how much you eat (calories) is the most important thing, with the second being macro-nutrient profile of those calories, meaning you need to have macro-nutrient goals for your day (protein/carbs/fats) and try to hit those goals within your caloric intake.

What I find interesting is how low on the totem pole the types of food you eat is (Food composition). While completely agree that you shouldn't be consistently eating cake and cookies, it is more important to not overeat.

In other words you can gain weight eating 5000 calories of grilled chicken and broccoli, and lose weight eating 2000 calories of ice cream. While these are extreme, if not impossible, examples, it has helped me put things in perspective as far as dieting goes. I used this last year when I dropped the initial 50 lbs, and found it easier to keep (most) of it off, because I really didn't change much about what I was eating other than how much I was eating. So I was able to occasionally indulge on my favorite treats if they fell beneath my caloric and macro-nutrient goals.

Ron White

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.