Weight Loss in 2015 Contest & Discussion Thread

Started by mike.casey, 01/07/2015 10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike.casey

Quotenirab - 1/9/2015  10:32 AM

Quotemike.casey - 1/9/2015  9:42 AM

We've got 3 confirmed prize packs for the monthly prizes, and a line out for a possible 4th! Thanks to those of you that have contributed so far!

How is the prize pack thing working? I think I could come up with a few cigars... :shy:

Just PM if you are willing to send a 5er out at the end of one month. I am still thinking of the best way to do the contest, but I want it to be based on participation and support in the thread, not success, or monthly weigh ins or anything like that.

I'm thinking at the end of the month I will place each competitors name in a hat based on how many times they have posted in the thread that month with 'meaningful' posts. (ie: no post whoring at the end for extra entries).

I'm hoping this may keep the interaction/support/motivation up.
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

Beegerply

I've been on some sort of a diet most of adult life  :biggrin: . So I'm going to make my own that I hope works for me low carb, good protein, etc.....  I'm not much of a drinker so that will be no problem. But  portion control is my big thing if it's good I've got to have it all :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  it doesn't matter what meal it is.
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Longhorn

mike.casey

QuoteLonghorn - 1/9/2015  11:36 AM

Mike, send a word please!

:thumbsup:

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

Longhorn

mike.casey

QuoteLonghorn - 1/9/2015  12:21 PM

Took my picture.

:lmao:

I had to buy a new scale because when I stepped on the last one it said, "One person at a time please"

Ron White

ninfiction

Lol here I thought my scale was odd because it would waver by 1 or 3 lbs every 5 minutes but that one is something else.

Appreciate the chart Mike, it really is as simple as burning more fuel than you put into the tank...or putting in less fuel than you're going to burn.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

nirab

I've got a "5er" of something to donate to the cause!  :biggrin:  :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

05Venturer

Quotemike.casey - 1/9/2015  11:23 AM

Just PM if you are willing to send a 5er out at the end of one month. I am still thinking of the best way to do the contest, but I want it to be based on participation and support in the thread, not success, or monthly weigh ins or anything like that.

I'm thinking at the end of the month I will place each competitors name in a hat based on how many times they have posted in the thread that month with 'meaningful' posts. (ie: no post whoring at the end for extra entries).

I'm hoping this may keep the interaction/support/motivation up.

I personally think that success needs to be part of it along with support.
Maybe of the top contributors, 1 or 2 of them with the best weight loss?

Just my opinion

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

mike.casey

Quotenirab - 1/9/2015  4:02 PM

I've got a "5er" of something to donate to the cause!  :biggrin:  :angel:

You make 5, so we are filled up for monthly prizes!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We will do monthly prize drawings as follows...

You will receive one entry per contribution to the thread (posts with a purpose, even if it's just a "congrats!" to someone else, etc)

You will receive double the entries IF you have hit a weight loss checkpoint that month. Checkpoints are as follows...

March 1 - 2% total loss

April 1 - 4% total loss

May 1 - 5.5% total loss

June - 7% total loss

July 1- 8.5% total loss

August 1 - Final Deadline for 10% total loss.

The top 3 competitors will receive 5 additional chances. Monthly weigh-ins will be sent via PM to me. Just PM your current weight when I remind you, no need for pictures, the monthly weigh ins will be on the honor system.

So it looks like we are good to go! Remember you have almost exactly 3 weeks to email or PM your initial weigh in pics to me, I have received 2 so far.

:thumbsup:

Ron White

05Venturer

Sounds great Mike!
Thanks again for coordinating :thumbsup:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

ninfiction

Excellent! I dig the idea for the monthly, should be good motivation to keep everyone involved.

johncw

bmac7754

Here is my pick Mike.  Also got you, and 3 others on MFP.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

johncw

bmac7754

John, that reminds me.  I went out last year and bought me a digital scale at Walmart for cheap money because I couldn't read the manual one without my glasses on. I usually weigh in before a shower, so that is why I don't have them on.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

bstessl

I'm in on this,  i see a couple of us are on MFP.  Does anyone on here have a fitbit?
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

ninfiction

My wife got me a fitbit for Christmas. It's the flex I believe, just an activity tracker. I like that it syncs with my fitness pal, not sure how good it'll be for tracking things like weight lifting since it only tracks steps. It has been a constant reminder to stay on track though and I like the detail it provides of my sleep patterns.

If I were to buy one myself I might have upgraded to one with a heart rate monitor but this one is doing it's job. Had to stop wearing it in the shower because I would end up with a ton of "steps" must be tracking arm movements for steps.

bstessl

I have the flex as well,  I had no idea it syncs with MFP!  As far add weights and other exercise,  you can log it in the app

johncw

Quotebmac7754 - 1/10/2015  5:09 PM

John, that reminds me.  I went out last year and bought me a digital scale at Walmart for cheap money because I couldn't read the manual one without my glasses on. I usually weigh in before a shower, so that is why I don't have them on.

Luckily no glasses or contacts here. Only issue I had was the flash kind of messing up the top visual part. I'll have to look into a digital one. I think they are probably more accurate.

bstessl

I just went and bought the fitbit scale because of this... damn enablers...

wescat

Hey Mike, send me a word. Thanks for doing this.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

bmac7754

Quotejohncw - 1/10/2015  9:41 PM  
Quotebmac7754 - 1/10/2015  5:09 PM  John, that reminds me.  I went out last year and bought me a digital scale at Walmart for cheap money because I couldn't read the manual one without my glasses on. I usually weigh in before a shower, so that is why I don't have them on.
Luckily no glasses or contacts here. Only issue I had was the flash kind of messing up the top visual part. I'll have to look into a digital one. I think they are probably more accurate.

The digital is way more accurate and takes the guess work out. I got mine for only like $15 at Walmart.  

Caveman Steve

Will get my pic out tomorrow hopefully.  Just signed up for "myfitnesspal"  username is Laddy1962.  Got a long road in front of me.

I've been very fortunate to have avoided the "overweight" diseases that so many suffer from like Diabetes and High blood pressure.  Cholesterol is only mildly high, but the clock is ticking LOUDER.  Gotta get my shyte together.  Looking forward to this.

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Caveman Steve

Maybe I should change my moniker picture from a rack of ribs to a plate of steamed broccoli?? (LOL)
"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.