My day at Bobalu Cigars!

Started by nirab, 01/11/2015 02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nirab

A few days ago, Jeff Lipton, owner of Bobalu Cigars in Austin, posted up a promotion that Bobalu was running. I noticed he had only a few posts in the time he has been a registered user of CG, so I sent him a pm, suggesting that he post a greeting and tell us about Bobalu. Jeff is a busy man (more on that later), and he answered back that as much as he would like to be more active on the site, his work schedule did not allow much interaction on our site, or any other cigar site (there are others???  :shades: ). I offered to meet up with him and see what his shop was all about, and he graciously offered me some time to hang out, check out the shop and tell me about Bobalu. I called Jeff to let him know that I could be up at the shop earlier on Saturday than we had planned, and he invited me to lunch with him and his marketing guru, Steve Rosenbaum. Lunch? Well alright then! The three of us had a great lunch, got to know each other a bit, and then headed to Bobalu's new shop on Burnet Rd. in Austin. Steve and Jeff gave me a grand tour, showed me a limited production cigar called the Elluminati that they were about to release, and gave me a Bobalu Sun Grown grand toro to smoke while we sat down to chat some more. We discussed Bobalu Cigars, which has been around for 20 years, and produces over 26 different blends, all their own. Jeff has tobacco stored here in Austin, and in warehouses in Pennsylvania and Miami. The shop only sells their brand of cigars, and they roll a selection of the lineup right there in the shop. They also roll cigars for over 200 events around the country every year, and wedding parties are very popular with Bobalu. I watched the Elluminati being rolled (a video link is included here), which is a boxed cigar, with a torpedo head, and a figurado foot, which is very difficult to produce (see pics below). Jeff has rollers from Cuba, most of whom rolled cigars for Romeo y Julieta. I knew about Bobalu before this day, but I did not know that they were actually producing their own cigars, rolling a good portion of the lineup here in Austin, and that they only sold their brand. There is so much more that I am leaving out, but this post is long enough for now! More will be coming from Bobalu for us Cigar Geeks, as Jeff and Steve are very interested in doing promotions designed just for us geeks! I bought a bunch of cigars, and after having the Red Sun Grown, I am looking forward to trying them all. If you are looking for a boutique cigar, made by a small, honest and genuine cigar manufacturer, then Bobalu Cigars should definitely be on your list. Check out their site, and give em a try!

Elluminati video...WATCH THIS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIwoEUD7MY

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

williegstyles

Nice. I heard they opened a new shop on Burnet Rd but I haven't made it by to check it out. Thanks for the update.
Gregory

Cfickter

Looked like a cool day. Thanks for letting us know about this place
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

DonM

Looks like you had a good day Brian!

"The Curmudgeon"

toby2

The Burn Ward

All their own cigars??!!!! That's astounding. It's great to hear about such operations especially in our beloved cigar industry.

nirab

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 1/11/2015  5:37 PM

All their own cigars??!!!! That's astounding. It's great to hear about such operations especially in our beloved cigar industry.

Yea, I was amazed by that! Jeff is proud of his cigars, and he's producing some great stuff. To only sell his own cigars, you know he's gotta be doing something right!

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

bmac7754

Looks like you had a great time Brian. It's cool to see them getting rolled right in front of you. I amazed she can roll them with those daggers on her fingers.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

ninfiction

Very cool, sounds/looks like a great day.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

Vroomp

:bigthumbs: Looks like you had a great day with some cool Geeks!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Longhorn

Thanks for posting this, Brian.  When I'm Austin, I make an effort to stop in their store on 6th street.  I still have a few of their Box Pressed Brazilian Maduro Robusto that I bought back in 2012 and they are a treat to smoke with a little age on them!  Looking forward to seeing their new shop in North Austin!  :thumbsup:

Camshaft83

Great pics and thanks for introducing some of us to them.  :thumbsup:
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

nirab

Quotebmac7754 - 1/11/2015  6:03 PM

Looks like you had a great time Brian. It's cool to see them getting rolled right in front of you. I amazed she can roll them with those daggers on her fingers.

I thought the same thing!  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Beegerply

Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

cavenbk

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great time.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

johncw

ntanner

Thanx for sharing. I am going to have to do some shopping I guess.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

nirab

Here's a better picture of the stuff I picked up. Gonna smoke something from Bobalu tonight, just not sure which one yet!

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Brlesq

Glad that you made new friends, Brian!  I've had the Sun Grown out of a pass, and enjoyed it.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

sar127

Very cool, and that barber pole Culebra looks awesome!
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

Mojo66

Very cool indeed. I don't get to visit places like that here, not much in way of a cigar industry in Canada.

Thanks for the 1st hand info, I'll check them out.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

nirab

QuoteMojo66 - 1/12/2015  2:59 PM

Very cool indeed. I don't get to visit places like that here, not much in way of a cigar industry in Canada.

Thanks for the 1st hand info, I'll check them out.

I asked Jeff about shipping to Canada, and he is more than willing to do that. Call Jeff direct at Bobalu (512-469-5877) to arrange shipping to the Great White North! :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:

Also, check out their Buyer's Club. It's a $50 annual fee, but that gets you a free cigar with every one you buy. So, you can mix and match all the different blends, and get 50% off every time you order. I am signing up next month when the budget should be thawed!  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.