"A fine cigar is the essence of life. The tobacco plant comes from the earth, from which we ourselves were created. Like ourselves, each leaf grows and is nurtured individually, acquiring its own characteristics, and is then graded, sorted, and matured according to their special abilities. As tobacco comes to its graduation in the making of cigars, as with the making of adults, some is left on the cutting room table and become ordinary, run-of-the-mill products. Some graduate into leadership and areas of responsibility, but a few achieve greatness, and even a touch of immortality." -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

Main Menu

Which hygrometer.......again?

Started by DonM, 01/24/2015 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

So my humidor shot up to 71 % a couple of days ago which is unusual.  Today, I stuck my Little Havana in (which I don't trust at all, I think they are a POS)  It read 66 %.  Put a new battery in the Caliber III, still reads 71%.  I am doing a salt test on both of them now and at this point the Little Havana is at 75% the Caliber III is at 79% so it is done.

Question of the day is, which hygrometer would you go with?  A Xikar that you can't calibrate or a new Caliber IV that you can. Or should I look at any others?  Looking for input on the ones the Geeks are using that have been reliable

"The Curmudgeon"

ninfiction

This is not the admin you're looking for...

The Burn Ward

QuoteDonM - 1/24/2015  7:22 PM

So my humidor shot up to 71 % a couple of days ago which is unusual.  Today, I stuck my Little Havana in (which I don't trust at all, I think they are a POS)  It read 66 %.  Put a new battery in the Caliber III, still reads 71%.  I am doing a salt test on both of them now and at this point the Little Havana is at 75% the Caliber III is at 79% so it is done.

Question of the day is, which hygrometer would you go with?  A Xikar that you can't calibrate or a new Caliber IV that you can. Or should I look at any others?  Looking for input on the ones the Geeks are using that have been reliable

Them blue ones on Cbid are great. They hit the free fall every so often at $10.

SenorPablo

Quoteninfiction - 1/24/2015  8:17 PM

I have 3 of these and have not had any issues, only has been 7 months though.

http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Importers-HygroSet-Hygrometer-Humidors/dp/B000H6CZQE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1422148555&sr=8-3&keywords=hygrometer

X2.  I have a few of these and they are great.  Plus the ability to calibrate them with the knob is a nice feature.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

toby2

i have one of the new style xikar and i won't buy another.

Ted

The one in that Amazon link and the ones on CBid are the same. Only difference being that the ones CI sells are blue with the HumiCare label. Same design and hardware though. I have the CBid ones, and I would vote for them or the black Amazon version as well.

bmac7754

I would go with the Xikar.  I have a bunch of the older ones that you can calibrate but never had to because they were accurate out of the box.  I did salt test on them just to check and they were dead on.  So with that being said, I would totally trust the non calibrated models from them.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

DonM

Quotebmac7754 - 1/25/2015  9:03 AM

I would go with the Xikar.  I have a bunch of the older ones that you can calibrate but never had to because they were accurate out of the box.  I did salt test on them just to check and they were dead on.  So with that being said, I would totally trust the non calibrated models from them.

Although I do like Xikar products, I have read a few bad reviews on the new design with no calibration.  I read online the reason they went to non calibration was because people didn't know how to do a Salt test.  I called BS on that one, makes me wonder.  So I ordered a rectangle Hygroset and will give it a shot.  

I still have the Little Havana working, but I am not too confident in it to be honest

"The Curmudgeon"

The Burn Ward

QuoteTed - 1/25/2015  8:39 AM

The one in that Amazon link and the ones on CBid are the same. Only difference being that the ones CI sells are blue with the HumiCare label. Same design and hardware though. I have the CBid ones, and I would vote for them or the black Amazon version as well.

Cbid has the black ones too at the same price as the humicare ones. I think $10 is the price I paid for each of mine.

DonM

I looked at CBid, by the time you win one and pay shipping you will pay more than if  you order one through Amazon with free shipping.  Not that it is alot of money, but didn't have to bid and wait for some Jack@$$ to out bid me

"The Curmudgeon"

Brlesq

An old guy like you on a budget ought to go with a weather stick.  It was good enough for the Native Americans.   :biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cfickter

I use a mix of the Xikars and Humicare.  Haven't had any issues with either.  Although I recently discovered that the two Xikars I have use different batteries!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Ted

QuoteDonM - 1/25/2015  7:36 AM  I looked at CBid, by the time you win one and pay shipping you will pay more than if  you order one through Amazon with free shipping.  Not that it is alot of money, but didn't have to bid and wait for some Jack@$$ to out bid me

Yeah, I'm not recommending a buying method. Just wanted to point out that they're the same regardless of where you buy. I'd recommend either.

bigjohn20081983

I need to invest in one for my Desktop humidor but have been using the Boveda Humidipak 72% (because its what my B&M stocks) and have so far been ok doing that but I would rather know exactly what it is just have not found a tiny hygrometer that I liked for it yet.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.