Unknown Cuban Cigar Box

Started by Greg Bishop, 01/28/2015 05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Bishop

I've recently acquired a very unusual looking vintage or antique, all wooden cigar box with a name printed inside the box that I can't find documented anywhere. The name is "Marcos Morales y Ca." and that's noted just below the words "FABRICA de TABACOS". Also on the inside of the box are the words "Regalia de Londres" as well as "Flor Fina".  Does anyone have a clue as to what this might be???

ntanner

Not sure on the box but welcome to CG and I'm sure that in just a bit one of the Guru's will show up and be able to provide some help.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

cavenbk

Do you have any pictures? It might help someone to be able to see what it looks like.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Brlesq

A picture would sure help.  Without one, my guess is that the cigars were from the FABRICA de TABACOS factory, one of the oldest cigar factories in Havana.  "Marcos Morales y Ca." is  the distributor or import company of that box.  "Regalia de Londres" is a Romeo y Julieta cigar, and "Flor Fina" was probably the size.   I believe this to be in the Civil War circa from some old books I found online.   Again, without a picture, these are guesstimates only.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Mojo66

Por Laranaga also has a Regalia the Londres vitola , maybe just an RE though but the brand's been there for well over a century and I think they did produce a Regalia in the early 1900s. Just my $0.02, Bruce pretty much summed it up anyways, a picture would be more than welcomed.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

SparklePony

"Flor Fina" is a size?  How interesting...
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Brlesq

QuoteSparklePony - 1/28/2015  11:15 PM

"Flor Fina" is a size?  How interesting...

Just a guess.  Or it just means "finest leaf" or "fine tobacco".  Again, without pics, this is an exercise in futility.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

SparklePony

You truly earn your curmudgeon badge on a daily basis...
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Brlesq

QuoteSparklePony - 1/29/2015  9:31 AM

You truly earn your curmudgeon badge on a daily basis...

Why thank you, John!  :-)

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Greg Bishop

Thank you all for your comments...  I am going to try posting a couple/few pictures to hopefully help in identifying this box. That might take me a little while as I'm not much of a tech guy.

Jackal

QuoteGreg Bishop - 1/29/2015  10:12 AM

Thank you all for your comments...  I am going to try posting a couple/few pictures to hopefully help in identifying this box. That might take me a little while as I'm not much of a tech guy.

This may help (a guide on how to insert pics into forum posts)

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=43

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Greg Bishop

Jackal

I don't know what it is, but it sure looks awesome.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

cavenbk

Sure is a beautiful piece of work.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Cfickter

that is sweet, awesome woodwork
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Brlesq

That is one nice box!  And very old, too
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

johncw

That box is awesome looking!

Michaelbevans61

If that's how a box of cigars looked back then, I think all cigar companies should go back to that. I would love to have a box of VSG's show up in a pretty box like that. That's a beautiful box!
Rock and roll is no genre, rock and roll? .......my friends rock and roll is a way of life!
Brent Smith, Shinedown

Hot Stuff x

Great looking box!   I saw what I'm guessing was your post over at collector's weekly (http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/147134-unbelievable-antique-cigar-box?in=activity)  where they are saying it's tramp art.  

Having another look at it, it looks like they used the cigar box wood as part of this project.  That's why the words that are normally found on the outside of the box are now on the inside.  

could this be a home-made humidor, and it uses the cedar from a cigar box as the liner for the decorative outer box?

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Hot Stuff x

Some quick Google-fu reveals that Marcos Morales was actually the name of a cigar factory in Cuba.  Don't know what brands were rolled there though.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

toby2

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.