Bomb Squad #2: Reports from the field

Started by BlackIrish, 09/08/2009 07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackIrish

What a great review!  Thanks for taking the time, Mike.  I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Ken Kelley

Dayum!!!  Guess I musta wrote mine in Chinese without realizing it... :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

BlackIrish

QuoteAlphairon - 9/18/2009  2:44 PM

I finally found a few hours free so I smoked mine today.  Very enjoyable stick too!

The cigar sported a dark brown wrapper.  There were a few veins here and there and a moderate amount of toothiness.  A sniff or two revealed a light aged tobacco smell, nothing intense.  The construction was good and the cigar was well filled and firm to a gentle squeeze.  I sliced off the cap with a clean cut and no signs of cracking.  The draw was perfect with just the hint of drag I favor.  Not a great deal of flavor on the cold draw, just maybe a hint of aged tobacco.  It toasted easily and fired right up.  The smoke was very mild initially with no burst of pepper or harshness.  The taste was light and mildly woody for the first inch.  The ash was firm and smooth, gray with a few streaks of darker gray.  It held for an inch and a half before dropping.  The burn was a bit wavy but never got out of hand to the point of needing a touch up  The body started to build in the second half of the first third.    Hints of leather appeared but the body was still pretty mild.  As the second third progressed the flavor intensified with leathery elements, dark coffee, a mild nuttiness that came and went, and a slight, almost citrus-like tang appending the leathery taste.  Body climbed to medium in the second third and a very mild sweetness emerged.  The leather predominated in the last third and the richness which became evident in the middle of the second third increased slightly.  The smoke seemed almost to coat the inside of my mouth.  I smoked it down to about an inch before giving it up.  This one is a strong 4 on our Geek rating scale.

What was it?  I don't know for sure but a lot of elements were similar to the flavors and strengths I've found in Arturo Fuente's higher end cigars.  The ash was very similar to that of Anejo #48's I've tried and the predominant leathery taste with the citrus-like tang is similar to my findings with a couple of Opus X sticks.  The Anejo's also opened up with the same mild, sort of woody taste and built in complexity and medium strength like this stick did.  So, keeping in mind my relative newbieness in the cigar world I'll venture a guess that this was an Arturo Fuente something-or-other, one of the gooder ones.      

Thanks a heap for including me in this exercise, Eddie.  I really enjoyed it.

Wow!  A great description of the body and flavors.  Really enjoyed the review -- glad that you enjoyed the smoke!
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

mhuss

QuoteBlackIrish - 9/18/2009  8:06 PM
What a great review!  Thanks for taking the time, Mike.  I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

It was completely my pleasure!  I can't wait to find out what cigar it was!

I do have to say, though, that I agree it tasted similar to a Fuente.  I've had a couple of Fuente's in the past, and this one tasted pretty close.  I was also thinking a Gurkha X Fuerte, but I ruled that out upon reading my review of it.  Although tastes can change over any period of time.  I just can't wait to find out what it actually is!

nwb

These are some really great reviews.  The suspense is killing me on what the cigars were, though.

nwb
Chief of Shaft

BlackIrish

Samhain2000 has been on the road for a job and so won't get a chance to smoke his for a few days.  The guesses so far have been great.  Stay tuned!
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

nukbucko

I would like to know if I'm alive :?: Or have i died a horrible death of being blown to bits
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

lowpro75

Quotenukbucko - 9/21/2009  4:29 PM

I would like to know if I'm alive :?: Or have i died a horrible death of being blown to bits

The Catholics call that Limbo. :lmao:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

gitfiddl

Quotelowpro75 - 9/21/2009  4:31 PM

Quotenukbucko - 9/21/2009  4:29 PM

The Catholics call that Limbo. :lmao:

Oh, I get it!  The bamboo pole you dance the limbo under represents the ruler the Penguins slap you with!  And since it originated in the Caribbean, we have our cigar correlation!  :biggrin: I wonder how long I'll have to spend in Purgatory for that one?
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

mhuss

When are we gonna find out what cigar this was?  I'm starting to get a little antsy!

gitfiddl

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Jackal

In the immortal words of Monty Python - "Get On With It"

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

gitfiddl

QuoteJackal - 9/24/2009  11:14 AM

In the immortal words of Monty Python - "Get On With It"

Thanks for the "nudge, nudge".  :shy:  :shy:  Know what I mean?

gitfiddl

It will probably be tomorrow night or Saturday before I submit my review.  Sorry! :sad:

Samhain2000

I had a clairall moment ane posted this in the wrong forum.

Ok, I smoked this baby yesterday.

First off the appearance of the cigar was good, Dark brown wrapper, was veiny but that never bothers me, it's a leaf. The construction was good as well. I used a hole punch on the head and there was no cracking of the cap. The wrapper gave but did not crack when I slightly bit into it during my pre-light savor. The pre-lit smell and taste was great, it was a light and sweet leathery flavor.

The cigar light up easy and he burn was pretty even for me, it definitly needed no maintenance and stayed light for a pretty long time between dras so I never needed to relight it. The ash could hold for and inch but was flaky and when I was not paying attantion I wound up with ash on me but I had a 3 year old and 2 dogs running around the porch.

The draw was good, a little light but not enough to be a major bother. I do not recall it getting hot. The ciger was not spicy, I liked that. Some cigars are spicy during the pre-light taste. The cigar did have small bursts of mild spice throu out the smoke but nothing major. The flavor was the same sweet leathery taste I encountered during he pre-light sample. I noticed the flavor changed around during the smoke but I could not pin point them, my nose is always stuffy and makes subtile flavors difficult to notice. I liked the flavor, thats all I can say there.

I was a little tired of the length and wished the cigar was shorter, I am not always in the mood for a churchill but this cigar was burning a hole in my humidor. I wished I had more when this cigar was done, so I look forward to finding out what this one is.

My guess it is a White Owl 2009 vintage, gas station reserve.'

I have no idea what it is but for some reason I am thinking Gurka.
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

Ken Kelley

Thanks for finally finding a home for your review, Chris!  Now if we can just get B'rer gitfiddl into a higher gear maybe we can find out what it was we smoked.

BlackIrish

QuoteSamhain2000 - 9/25/2009  1:52 PM

I had a clairall moment ane posted this in the wrong forum.

Ok, I smoked this baby yesterday.

First off the appearance of the cigar was good, Dark brown wrapper, was veiny but that never bothers me, it's a leaf. The construction was good as well. I used a hole punch on the head and there was no cracking of the cap. The wrapper gave but did not crack when I slightly bit into it during my pre-light savor. The pre-lit smell and taste was great, it was a light and sweet leathery flavor.

The cigar light up easy and he burn was pretty even for me, it definitly needed no maintenance and stayed light for a pretty long time between dras so I never needed to relight it. The ash could hold for and inch but was flaky and when I was not paying attantion I wound up with ash on me but I had a 3 year old and 2 dogs running around the porch.

The draw was good, a little light but not enough to be a major bother. I do not recall it getting hot. The ciger was not spicy, I liked that. Some cigars are spicy during the pre-light taste. The cigar did have small bursts of mild spice throu out the smoke but nothing major. The flavor was the same sweet leathery taste I encountered during he pre-light sample. I noticed the flavor changed around during the smoke but I could not pin point them, my nose is always stuffy and makes subtile flavors difficult to notice. I liked the flavor, thats all I can say there.

I was a little tired of the length and wished the cigar was shorter, I am not always in the mood for a churchill but this cigar was burning a hole in my humidor. I wished I had more when this cigar was done, so I look forward to finding out what this one is.

My guess it is a White Owl 2009 vintage, gas station reserve.'

I have no idea what it is but for some reason I am thinking Gurka.

Thanks for taking the time to write the review, Chris.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

And all eyes now turn to Gitfiddl . . .
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

gitfiddl

The cap is cut and the foot is lit!

gitfiddl

Okay, here goes nothing!  

Upon initial inspection, the cigar had a nice dark wrapper with a noticeable sheen in the sunlight.  The thick wrapper showed several noticeable veins and the edges at the seams had a miscut or two, which might lead one to think this a second, house-brand or knock-off.

The pre-light draw was perfect and it stayed so throughout the cigar.  Being that this was a blind test, I ran everything through my albeit limited amount of remaining functional brain cells.  The first few draws tasted of coffee and nuts, almost honey roasted, and I immediately thought of the first Hoyo de Monterrey Sultan I ever smoked, but the darkness of the wrapper confused me, as I don't remember the HdM having as dark a wrapper.

The coffee and nuts lasted until the 1/3 mark when the cigar settled into more woody and leathery flavors.  Somewhere around the middle, there was a noticeable addition of pepper for a few draws, and then it was gone almost as fast as it appeared and it was back to a nice mostly leathery flavor that held through the middle of the cigar..

The final third added a bit more pepper and spice, and again searching my brain, reminded me of the Luis Martinez Nicaraguan Selections I smoked almost a year ago.

The construction was fine by me.  It seemed as if it wanted to try to run or canoe along some of the noticeable veins, but it corrected itself without any outside help.  The ash was a firm white with a few sedimentary gray lines.  It dropped first at well past the two inch mark, afterward at just over an inch.

I'd give it a solid 4 on the CG scale.

I could not tell you what I smoked, but if none of the tobacco came from Nicaragua, I owe you a beer.  

The length was a little long for the time I allot for my evening smoke.  I usually have time for a robusto or toro at best.  Thanks for including me in this one and I apologize for the delay in submitting my review.  I'm anxiously awaiting the name of this cigar because I want to buy more!

nukbucko

So I would like to know if im dead please :lmao:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

nukbucko

This was really fun Eddie thanks for having me

gitfiddl

Quotenukbucko - 9/25/2009  8:21 PM

So I would like to know if im dead please :lmao:

You're still posting....

BlackIrish

Well, you're all dead, but I didn't really expect anyone to survive.  I picked this cigar because, to be honest, sometimes I think it's great, sometimes, just ok.   I like the flavors, but agree that this particular vitola may be a little too long for the blend, as it can get boring.  Maybe a toro or belicoso would work better.

I think you'll be surprised by this one:

Origin:  Dominican Republic
Wrapper:  CT Broadleaf
Binder:  Dominican Republic
Filler:  Domincan Republic

According to JR:  "A classic Dominican Piloto Cubano tobacco recipe manufactured in Santiago, Dominican Republic. This is a mild cigar with subtle nuances. The maduro version has a bit more body with a slight earthy edge."

Nat Sherman Metropolitan Selection Metropolitan Maduro
http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=itemDetails&ItemCode=SHME3

Regular price at JR is about $3.50 a stick by the box, but you can get them cheaper.  They sometimes come up for auction on CBid.  

So . . . surprised?
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Ken Kelley

I'm pleasantly surprised!  I'll give the brand a try but in a smaller size.  Need to take a look at the data base to see what is available.  This is a valuable exercise!

gitfiddl

Okay, so what's the cost of your favorite beer at your favorite watering hole?

It was a nice smoke, just too long for my liking.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.