Cigar Magazines

Started by MacMac, 05/09/2015 10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacMac

Hi Geeks,
Other than Cigar Aficionado, do you subscribe to other cigar magazines? Which ones?
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

bigjohn20081983

Only thing I get is a few cigar catalogs companies like CI sent out from time to time.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Camshaft83

A B&M I go to occasionally gives me Cigar Journal with my purchases. I don't subscribe to any magazines though.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Otter

Cigars and Spirits and Cigar Snob aren't bad, good articles here and there...
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

toby2

Cigar Snob and Smoke. gonna let Smoke go though when it runs out.

horrido

Usually buy CA and occasionally cigar journal do get the PDFs cigar insider but may let it all pass away since there is a lot of info on the net now.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

05Venturer

I've gotten a couple Cigar Press from my B&M and it was pretty decent
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Longhorn

Used to get CA, but not anymore.  Found the cigar ratings to be squirrelly and too closely related to the size of the ads in the magazine.

I pick up Cigar Press from time to time... though I mainly use online sites for reviews or information.

ntanner

Nothing subscribed to but occasionally get a CA or Cigar Snob to thumb through.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

appollo

Nothing just get whatever is on the net which has quite abit of stuff

Mojo66

Not subscribed either, used to get a few magazines from time to time, Cigar snob and CA mostly. I don't anymore, CG is my main source of info and what I can't get here (mostly the pictures of Babes in the magazines) I find elsewhere :biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Hot Stuff x

I've had gift subscriptions to CA in the past but didn't like it enough to subscribe.  I don't think I'm their target demographic.  Other than cigars, and to a limited extent, spirits, the focus of a lot of their articles are things I'm not interested in -- gambling, high-end watches, men's fashion, exorbitantly priced accessories, etc.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Camshaft83

We should make our own. Have it aimed towards the demographic that we here at CG and I think most cigar smokers in general fall into.  We could put cigars back into a cigar mag. Not just a few pages with some quick crappy points ratings and then 95% of the rest trying to sell fancy watches.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

wescat

http://cigarpress.com/cp-back-issues    is decent.

And hald wheel is too       http://halfwheel.com/
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

StogieDad

Once they turn to a lifestyle magazine, I lost interest.   If I want a cigar magazine, I want to read about cigars
  Plus, the sites are so far ahead I usually know everything months before any mag is reporting it.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

MacMac

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the feedback on cigar magazines. I'm surprised by the response! I thought there would be a couple of magazines that hit the cigar smoking nitch. It appears the nitch is right here. Save subscription prices and get involved with CGs!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

sjn1117

I don't subscribe to any cigar magazines because in my opinion they are more about non cigar related swag that i could read GQ for. I get mmmmy info here and Halfwheel and a few other online sources. CA is cool once a year just to read their list of top cigars, agree or not.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

RDF

Wife got me CA subscription a couple years ago. I've kept it as I like the cigar related stories and ratings, but the mag is marketed to ultra rich,  not me, but good bathroom reading.  I think CA is for the private jet crowd who get free tickets to the Masters.
HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

Jay'D

Quotesjn1117 - 5/10/2015  11:24 PM

I don't subscribe to any cigar magazines because in my opinion they are more about non cigar related swag that i could read GQ for. I get mmmmy info here and Halfwheel and a few other online sources. CA is cool once a year just to read their list of top cigars, agree or not.
:bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Jay'D

why subscribe when you get all you need through here and other sites of the same??? :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Kman

I had a subscription to Cigar Aficionado for a year or two but found that most of their ratings were biased by their advertising revenue. The other thing I hated about CA was that it seemed to assume that cigar smokers were billionaires getting ready to buy their own islands.

I have since been getting Cigar Snob and I really like it. I find their cigar reviews to be a lot more honest and they don't fill the magazine with things no one can afford. They also focus on one city per issue and review cigar stores and lounges which is great for those who travel. Of course the scantily clad women smoking cigars aren't bad to look at either.  :shy:
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Kman

QuoteJay'D - 5/11/2015  12:26 PM  why subscribe when you get all you need through here and other sites of the same??? :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

Why bother reading a book when you can see the movie? Different strokes for different folks.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Cfickter

I get CA but just for the articles!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

DonM

I can't afford half the crap advertised in CA, and find their reviews slanted to who has the biggest advertising budget. We geeks get a lot of news here on the site. I do like half wheel, they do pass on some good cigar info

"The Curmudgeon"

Jackal

I get free issues of CA when I go to Big Smoke.  However, their articles are mainly about things that don't interest me at all (golfing, men's fashions, cars and watches).  There is very little there having to do with cigars.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.