Unbanded Pass Idea

Started by 05Venturer, 06/03/2015 01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nirab

Quotejunglepete - 6/4/2015  3:35 PM

I like the sound of this as I've always believed that the best reviews are the ones that are completely blind. I would love to see the short review posted in the thread first, then identified by the one who put it in, then transferred into the database. Would love to follow a thread like that. Great idea whichever way it comes about.  :cool:

Posting a short review of each one in the thread is a great idea! I believe a formal review would still have to be submitted once the identity of the stick was revealed.
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

05Venturer

Quotejunglepete - 6/4/2015  3:35 PM

I like the sound of this as I've always believed that the best reviews are the ones that are completely blind. I would love to see the short review posted in the thread first, then identified by the one who put it in, then transferred into the database. Would love to follow a thread like that. Great idea whichever way it comes about.  :cool:

My thought is as soon as the cigar is smoked that person would contact the member who added it to the pass and as soon as they get the reply the cigar review could get posted on the site both in the thread and database. I think if the reviews are put in the thread far in advance of the database some may get lost deep in the thread and may take awhile to be recovered or possibly be forgotten about.

I absolutely appreciate all the great feedback I am getting for this.  :cool:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

StogieDad

Just a thought Kent, you may want each member to email you their puts so you have a record.  People go AWOL from time to time, so it would suck if someone went missing and we couldn't figure out the cigar somebody was reviewing.  Just a thought.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

timpellis

Just a thought, but instead of doing it pass style, what about going more secret santa style and pair people up. They can send each other 2-3 sticks to smoke and review, with just a letter or number on each one to identify. People could be paired by price point if that increases the number of people or by geographic region or something like that. Since in a pass we would all be paying to mail the box, there wouldn't really be any extra cost and might be less because the box usually gets big towards the end. Another plus is that you wouldn't be picking by looks, smell, feel etc... super blind so to speak. Just a thought. Great idea for a pass.

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

Quotetimpellis - 6/4/2015  6:51 PM

Just a thought, but instead of doing it pass style, what about going more secret santa style and pair people up. They can send each other 2-3 sticks to smoke and review, with just a letter or number on each one to identify. People could be paired by price point if that increases the number of people or by geographic region or something like that. Since in a pass we would all be paying to mail the box, there wouldn't really be any extra cost and might be less because the box usually gets big towards the end. Another plus is that you wouldn't be picking by looks, smell, feel etc... super blind so to speak. Just a thought. Great idea for a pass.

This one is going pass style not round robin
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

danb6177

QuoteCfickter - 6/4/2015  10:02 PM

Let's Do This

This ^^^
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

StogieDad

Quote05Venturer - 6/4/2015  10:38 PM

I agree.  I like the Round Robin, but this is cool because you can actually pick something by look/smell/feel and see if it lives up to it.  Ready, set, go!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Kid Montana

I'd rather have a cigar...

05Venturer

QuoteStogieDad - 6/5/2015  7:43 AM

Quote05Venturer - 6/4/2015  10:38 PM

I agree.  I like the Round Robin, but this is cool because you can actually pick something by look/smell/feel and see if it lives up to it.  Ready, set, go!

My thoughts exactly :thumbsup:
Kent

05Venturer

Looks like this is gonna be a go. Give me some time to set up rules. I may be a bit picky on who is in this as I want to try to make sure all rules are followed and reviews are completed in a swift timeline. NOT gonna drag this out. Stay tuned
Kent

Beegerply

I'm going to have some time on my hands, looks like this one would be fun  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

05Venturer

QuoteStogieDad - 6/4/2015  4:24 PM

Just a thought Kent, you may want each member to email you their puts so you have a record.  People go AWOL from time to time, so it would suck if someone went missing and we couldn't figure out the cigar somebody was reviewing.  Just a thought.

The more I think about it this is a good idea. :thumbsup: All puts will be pm'ed to me.
I have got everything just about ready to post up, should be able to get it posted up yet thus weekend.
I have one last question, should we get this going ASAP or wait until right after Independence Day Weekend in case some have long vacations and such planned?
Kent

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.