Joya Red and Flor de Cana - Anejo Clasico

Started by sevencardstud, 06/14/2015 01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevencardstud

What do you know a Nicaraguan Rum going with a Nicaraguan Cigar? Although Joya Red's are fairly new, they have become a go to cigar for me. They are a premium cigar at an excellent price point (I have seen them listed for about $5.95 in the U.S., I paid $12.95 in Ontario) and the Flor de Cana that I pair it with most often is the 5year. The 5year sells for $26.95 (750mL) here in Ontario, but I have seen in it New York for $16.95. So it makes for a great pairing without hurting your wallet too much.

The rum has a great caramel flavour that pairs with the cigars mainly dark cocoa profile. Then the last two thirds of the cigar gives off a citrus tartness that picks up the orange zest aromas found in the rum.

If you are not a straight rum drinker, I personally prefer rum mixed in ginger ale with a squirt of lime juice. However, I have found this pairing still works with a number of mixes including the ever popular Rum and Coke.

On a personal note. I am a big fan of rum, my brother and I are always discovering and collecting rums, but I don't really like the pairing of rum with Coke/Pepsi. So I might be a bit bias when suggesting whether or not to use Rum and Coke as a pairing.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -Mark Twain

ninfiction

Not a big fan of rum in general but those Joya Reds are good cigars. I think there are a couple of websites in the US that will ship to Canada but not sure how that works. The other option is to get someone down here to proxy for you...or trade. There are a few other Canadians that regularly post here that might be able to provide some better info.

We have a super high tax here in Minnesota too, not quite as bad as Canada but bad enough that I buy very few cigars locally, those Joya Reds are about $10 here but if I drove the 30 miles to Wisconsin I can get them for about msrp or a little lower.

I usually pair a cigar with water or a craft beer. Mostly just water so I can enjoy the cigar without too many other influences.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

appollo

I deal with Atlantic Cigar and Holts both will ship to Canada with no problem I'm sure there are several more but I deal with them

sevencardstud

Ya the tax to bring them across the border is what gets me. They will charge me a 13% sales tax then charge me a 56.6% tobacco tax on the price including the 13%. So I am getting taxed on the tax.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -Mark Twain

appollo

Use Atlantic they have different shipping options.

Jay'D

Quotesevencardstud - 6/14/2015  9:29 PM

Ya the tax to bring them across the border is what gets me. They will charge me a 13% sales tax then charge me a 56.6% tobacco tax on the price including the 13%. So I am getting taxed on the tax.
Dude thats absolutely crazy, thats a lot of damnnn tax  :-0
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

cmbrose

I'll have to try this. I actually just got some Joya Reds and bought some Flor de Cana and Dos Maderas. I'm sure I won't be able to pick up on those flavors because my palate is broken, but I will try nontheless.

Any other rums you suggest? I am trying to branch out from my norm and discover new rums.

frankj1

Quotecmbrose - 7/12/2015  3:25 PM

I'll have to try this. I actually just got some Joya Reds and bought some Flor de Cana and Dos Maderas. I'm sure I won't be able to pick up on those flavors because my palate is broken, but I will try nontheless.

Any other rums you suggest? I am trying to branch out from my norm and discover new rums.
lot's of fine rums. Poke around here for some solid opinions and info...

http://www.rumgallery.com/

pretty sure there is a rum thread going on already.

MacMac

Quotesevencardstud - 6/14/2015  10:29 PM

Man, that is awful! Over 50% tax...that is crazy. I hate that for you, what a pain.   :beatup:
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

millarddj

QuoteI usually pair a cigar with water or a craft beer. Mostly just water so I can enjoy the cigar without too many other influences.

Thank goodness, someone else who drinks with his cigars like I do. I often feel a little overwhelmed when it comes to discussing liquor, simply because I've never acquired the taste for things like whiskies, tequilas, etc. A none-too-audacious beer or a glass of water is fast becoming my staple accompaniment.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

horrido

Quotesevencardstud - 6/14/2015  8:29 PM

Yes I know your hurt its actually cheaper to go to Cuba for a holiday and buy your sticks as much as you can and come home. Get your rum to and they have many which are very good. Last time we went I picked up 400 bucks worth of sticks that would have been 1500 easily here.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

toby2

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.