Besides the usual Rum and Coke....

Started by Jay'D, 06/15/2015 03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay'D

Ok I've been pondering something so I figured why not ask the professional geeks... besides coke, what other beverage is good for mixing rum with and what kinda rum do you mix with it? Being in the Islands our national drink is Rum and Coke, 99.9% of the times it's being mixed with coke....or redbull.... As for me, I like Ginger Wine and coconut water or Brugal and coke....see I told you we use coke for almost everything.  :beer:
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

appollo

danb6177

Sprite actually gos very well with rum. And gives less of a hangover if you have zero self control like me
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Newbhunter

Oj or ginger-ale. Ginger beer is awesome with saint-James... Then there's bitters and club soda, just muddle some lime with sugar before you pour in the rest, I think this is called rum punch. But none go as well as straight or watered down rum with a cigar.

Jay'D

Quotedanb6177 - 6/15/2015  6:19 PM

Sprite actually gos very well with rum. And gives less of a hangover if you have zero self control like me
But what kind of rum, dark or white?? and stuff like bourbon, whiskey or scotch, do you mix those and if so with what?

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

freakydeakydutchman

"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

danb6177

QuoteJay'D - 6/15/2015  6:45 PM

Quotedanb6177 - 6/15/2015  6:19 PM

But what kind of rum, dark or white?? and stuff like bourbon, whiskey or scotch, do you mix those and if so with what?

With a clear rum. Like bacardi 120 for example. I think darks would go better with coke. I dont like mixing darks tho.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Mojo66

Dark, mixed or not for myself. Rum goes well with any tropical fruit juice but that doesn't pair well with many cigars.  :blech:

I like it straight (or slightly diluted as per Pat's suggestion) when smoking.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

cmbrose

I like Dr. Pepper. Not really a Coke fan.

lubrix

"We use Coke for almost everything"....I wouldn't advertise that!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

jdwaynes1980

I'm not much of a rum drinker, but I've always preferred 7UP and Dr. Pepper over Coke as a mixer.

I had a rum mixed with a Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper a few months back and it was quite outstanding. But I think I was about 6 drinks in, so pretty much everything was tasting great.
Roll Tide!

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

bigjohn20081983

I have to agree with the Dr. Pepper as a mixer and if I do make a run and coke ( dark or clear I don't really care which) I like to add a twist of lime to it.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Caveman Steve

Rum and Coke is one drink I just never got in to.   :barf:  And I'm in to a lot of different drinks!!

Currently enjoying a Moscow Mule.  My 2015 summer drink discovery!  Rum is good with tonic and lime or in a Pina Colada or straight up with an ice cube (if it's quality rum) IMNSHO.  Drink your Coke straight!

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Rammstein142

Not a huge fan of rum, but when someone has a good dark rum I just drink it neat or with one cube of ice. All though back in the day we would do dark rum, concentrate oj and a bit of vanilla extract blended. You get kind of an adult orange julius. Or if you use a good dark rum that has a lot of vanilla flavor, you can skip that part.

Other than that never really mixed it with more than coke. Now though I just stick with my vodka tonics and whiskey.
"There is nothing more agreeable than having a place where one can throw on the floor as many cigar butts as one pleases without the subconscious fear of a maid who is waiting like a sentinel to place an ashtray where the ashes are going to fall."

"Ich kenne keine Parteien mehr, ich kenne nur noch Deutsche!" Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Die Schlacht ist gewonnen , haben die Engländer wurde völlig besiegt." Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource." John F. Kennedy

kuke

Just the rum and a little ice....hold the coke.

ntanner

Always enjoyed Wild Turkey 101 with Squirt but it doesn't go well with cigars.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Jay'D

well I don't really have much of a high tolerance for alcohol so I rarely drink it straight up, it's usually paired with something.

sevencardstud

I do ginger ale and rum with a lime. With any rum it's good as long as u like that rum. And i drink something called a "shipwreck" it's spiced rum and orange juice with a splash of sprite
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -Mark Twain

Brlesq

Rum and lemonade.  The citrus goes well with lighter shade wrapped cigars
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Longhorn

QuoteVroomp - 7/12/2015  4:09 PM

One piece of ice!

This.  A good rum only needs a little ice/water.

MacMac

Rum is really not on my list. I'm a craft beer guy.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

The Burn Ward

Cfickter

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 7/13/2015  1:49 AM  Another ounce of rum.

Word

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

MacMac

Chuck,
BTW... I love your signature.....

"Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!"

:bigthumbs:  :biggrin:  :shotgun:
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.