This how we do it in the islands.

Started by Jay'D, 07/10/2015 06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay'D

So the IPA's are all over now,  even down to the Virgin Islands. The one outside the tray is new to me though.  Anyone recognize it?
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

ntanner

It's from Boston, The Harpoon Brewery, an employee owned brewery. They been around since 1987. It's a New England style IPA so it is a bit more balanced then the west coast version with more malt character. Still hopp forward but I think better balanced then a lot of versions. About 6% ABV and Cascade hopp's so it does have the piny citrus tones. Probably a bit hoppier then the Island Hoppin IPA's though. Let me know what you think of it.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Mojo66

Quotentanner - 7/10/2015  10:43 PM  It's from Boston, The Harpoon Brewery, an employee owned brewery. They been around since 1987. It's a New England style IPA so it is a bit more balanced then the west coast version with more malt character. Still hopp forward but I think better balanced then a lot of versions. About 6% ABV and Cascade hopp's so it does have the piny citrus tones.

Man, that description makes me want to go out looking for some now  :beer:

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

ntanner

QuoteMojo66 - 7/10/2015  8:49 PM

Quotentanner - 7/10/2015  10:43 PM  It's from Boston, The Harpoon Brewery, an employee owned brewery. They been around since 1987. It's a New England style IPA so it is a bit more balanced then the west coast version with more malt character. Still hopp forward but I think better balanced then a lot of versions. About 6% ABV and Cascade hopp's so it does have the piny citrus tones.

Didn't know you Northerners liked IPA's. :-0  :biggrin:

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Camshaft83

That harpoon does sound really good.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Jay'D

Quotentanner - 7/10/2015  10:43 PM

It's from Boston, The Harpoon Brewery, an employee owned brewery. They been around since 1987. It's a New England style IPA so it is a bit more balanced then the west coast version with more malt character. Still hopp forward but I think better balanced then a lot of versions. About 6% ABV and Cascade hopp's so it does have the piny citrus tones. Probably a bit hoppier then the Island Hoppin IPA's though. Let me know what you think of it.
Thanks Neal, that description you gave have me looking forward to trying it. Will be sure to  report back on how it is, picked up a couple bottles on my way home.

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Mojo66

Quotentanner - 7/10/2015  10:51 PM  

Yeah, somehow our (my) mixed French and British DNA enjoys alcoholic beverages, high hop and ABV aren't scary to us, they are enticing. In my own personal case, you have to add American Indian and Irish to the mix, which makes it even clearer that I'll drink anything :biggrin:

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

MacMac

I'm not into IPAs! They are too hoppy. I like dark beers ... Lagars and darker. I love Bocks.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

jharrisx5

I love me some Zombie Dust when I can get it sent out here to CA...
Puff Puff Give....

danb6177

I love IPAs but don't ever really match em up with cigars. Cigar city jai alai is very good. I prefer porters and stouts or browns/ambers with a cigar though. Never had the ones in your pic Jay'D Hope you enjoy them
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Camshaft83

Quotedanb6177 - 7/11/2015  4:14 AM

I love IPAs but don't ever really match em up with cigars. Cigar city jai alai is very good. I prefer porters and stouts or browns/ambers with a cigar though. Never had the ones in your pic Jay'D Hope you enjoy them

What is the Cigar City Jai Alai?
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

danb6177

QuoteCamshaft83 - 7/11/2015  6:18 AM

Quotedanb6177 - 7/11/2015  4:14 AM

What is the Cigar City Jai Alai?

Its a popular IPA here in Tampa from cigar city brewing. Its pretty high on the IBU scale and has a nice citrus front to balance the hop. Cigar city brewing has some creative names. I guess Tampa was once known for its jai alai. Their beers are everywhere here even in restaurants.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

ntanner

QuoteMojo66 - 7/10/2015  9:13 PM

Quotentanner - 7/10/2015  10:51 PM  

Yeah, somehow our (my) mixed French and British DNA enjoys alcoholic beverages, high hop and ABV aren't scary to us, they are enticing. In my own personal case, you have to add American Indian and Irish to the mix, which makes it even clearer that I'll drink anything :biggrin:

Havn't ever tried it but how do they take to shipping beer into Canada? With you're will drink anything gene in working order I may have a couple of brew's you would enjoy. :beer:

Cigary

Wish I knew more about beer....I just know I love to drink it esp. in the summer when you see those cold ice chips running down the neck of those bottles and your legs starts to quiver like your dogs hind legs do...talk about Pavlovs Law.

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

bmac7754

That harpoon is found in every store up here in MA and on tap on many bars, good stuff.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Jay'D

Look like I might have to pop the top on that Harpoon tonight.

bmac7754

QuoteJay'D - 7/11/2015  7:23 PM  Look like I might have to pop the top on that Harpoon tonight.

You might as well, a beer with the cap on isn't doing anybody and good

:biggrin:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.