Geek Contest: Name the Toys for Tots humidor ...

Started by CTBlankenship, 07/17/2015 11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vroomp

I have to go with "The Soul Eater" and, if that's just too dark for you, how about "Smiling Faces"? :biggrin:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

CTBlankenship

Ah my good friend Longhorn (what's your real name BTW) ... some people just cannot be pleased ... I came to this site asking only one thing, a critique of a humidor that I was willing to place in anyone's hand at no cost to them.  I obtained a stinging rebuke ... and even before the sting of that wore off someone was asking me for a free humidor for a great purpose.  I didn't even blink, of course I would donate.  What better way to become a member of a community than to participate in such a way.  Then, I take insult after insult, still I keep the offer on the table.

You seem to think that my behavior is reprehensible.  Kneel down here real close ... I don't want anyone else to hear ... I'm an American ... sometimes, when we are lucky enough and have access to either a line of credit or capital, we take that opportunity and head into our garages and don't quit until we have something of value ... it is called entrepreneurship.  It is the driving force behind what makes this country great.  You and a select other few have labled me something of a robber baron ... strangling every ounce of money out of this community for my own selfish goals.  I have never made a profit from any of you ... more than likely never will.  If I am the type of person you accuse me of being I'd have been out of here weeks ago.  Since, from a business perspective, this place is a profit desert.  But I am not and I haven't and I won't ...

There are always a few mean spirited people on a forum like this.  You cannot be appeased ... there is a great song for you ... it's called Garden Party.  The phrase goes "ya can't please everyone might as well please yourself".  Giving that humidor to this community for a cause like Toys for Tots gives me great pleasure and I refuse to allow people like you to take that pleasure away from me.  If you speak for everyone here ... you simply say the word ... put it to a vote ... and kick me out of this community.  Taking the offer of that humidor off the table saves me $150.  

And, please do not turn this thread into a flame war.  If you want to enter into a discourse of that nature, give me a call and we'll talk ... mano a mano.
If it's hard you are doing it wrong ...
-Me

DRuff

Wow, this is a great case for the ignore feature.

sjn1117

If it matters I'm vouching for Longhorn.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Longhorn

Best wishes on your entrepreneurial endeavors.

By the way, what's the prize for this contest?

StogieDad

Longhorn is the driving force and the only reason this site has Toys for Tots....just sayin...
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Mojo66

QuoteCTBlankenship - 7/17/2015  10:55 PM  Ah my good friend Longhorn (what's your real name BTW) ... some people just cannot be pleased ... I came to this site asking only one thing, a critique of a humidor that I was willing to place in anyone's hand at no cost to them.  I obtained a stinging rebuke ... and even before the sting of that wore off someone was asking me for a free humidor for a great purpose.  I didn't even blink, of course I would donate.  What better way to become a member of a community than to participate in such a way.  Then, I take insult after insult, still I keep the offer on the table.   You seem to think that my behavior is reprehensible.  Kneel down here real close ... I don't want anyone else to hear ... I'm an American ... sometimes, when we are lucky enough and have access to either a line of credit or capital, we take that opportunity and head into our garages and don't quit until we have something of value ... it is called entrepreneurship.  It is the driving force behind what makes this country great.  You and a select other few have labled me something of a robber baron ... strangling every ounce of money out of this community for my own selfish goals.  I have never made a profit from any of you ... more than likely never will.  If I am the type of person you accuse me of being I'd have been out of here weeks ago.  Since, from a business perspective, this place is a profit desert.  But I am not and I haven't and I won't ...   There are always a few mean spirited people on a forum like this.  You cannot be appeased ... there is a great song for you ... it's called Garden Party.  The phrase goes "ya can't please everyone might as well please yourself".  Giving that humidor to this community for a cause like Toys for Tots gives me great pleasure and I refuse to allow people like you to take that pleasure away from me.  If you speak for everyone here ... you simply say the word ... put it to a vote ... and kick me out of this community.  Taking the offer of that humidor off the table saves me $150.    And, please do not turn this thread into a flame war.  If you want to enter into a discourse of that nature, give me a call and we'll talk ... mano a mano.

Ouch, your "good friend" Longhorn's post was nothing if not polite and factual. No  insults, no Drama, just stating the facts straight so that no  ambiguities could remain.

How you have found justification in his post for this answer is beyond me.

The only person I see here with a flame thrower is you man. Put it out, put it down, smoke a good cigar and accept all the lines that have been gently thrown at you. I read condescension and self pity from you on one side but I look at the work of a possible artist on the other and it saddens me to think that one side renders the other one irrelevant AFAIAC.

Note that this is a very personal view and in no way are the "others" in agreement or not with this nor do I need approval to voice my concern. I really am trying hard to like you because I really want to, but you make it so hard.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

sjn1117

QuoteMojo66 - 7/17/2015  10:26 PM  

QuoteCTBlankenship - 7/17/2015  10:55 PM  Ah my good friend Longhorn (what's your real name BTW) ... some people just cannot be pleased ... I came to this site asking only one thing, a critique of a humidor that I was willing to place in anyone's hand at no cost to them.  I obtained a stinging rebuke ... and even before the sting of that wore off someone was asking me for a free humidor for a great purpose.  I didn't even blink, of course I would donate.  What better way to become a member of a community than to participate in such a way.  Then, I take insult after insult, still I keep the offer on the table.   You seem to think that my behavior is reprehensible.  Kneel down here real close ... I don't want anyone else to hear ... I'm an American ... sometimes, when we are lucky enough and have access to either a line of credit or capital, we take that opportunity and head into our garages and don't quit until we have something of value ... it is called entrepreneurship.  It is the driving force behind what makes this country great.  You and a select other few have labled me something of a robber baron ... strangling every ounce of money out of this community for my own selfish goals.  I have never made a profit from any of you ... more than likely never will.  If I am the type of person you accuse me of being I'd have been out of here weeks ago.  Since, from a business perspective, this place is a profit desert.  But I am not and I haven't and I won't ...   There are always a few mean spirited people on a forum like this.  You cannot be appeased ... there is a great song for you ... it's called Garden Party.  The phrase goes "ya can't please everyone might as well please yourself".  Giving that humidor to this community for a cause like Toys for Tots gives me great pleasure and I refuse to allow people like you to take that pleasure away from me.  If you speak for everyone here ... you simply say the word ... put it to a vote ... and kick me out of this community.  Taking the offer of that humidor off the table saves me $150.    And, please do not turn this thread into a flame war.  If you want to enter into a discourse of that nature, give me a call and we'll talk ... mano a mano.

Ouch, your "good friend" Longhorn's post was nothing if not polite and factual. No  insults, no Drama, just stating the facts straight so that no  ambiguities could remain.

How you have found justification in his post for this answer is beyond me.

The only person I see here with a flame thrower is you man. Put it out, put it down, smoke a good cigar and accept all the lines that have been gently thrown at you. I read condescension and self pity from you on one side but I look at the work of a possible artist on the other and it saddens me to think that one side renders the other one irrelevant AFAIAC.

Note that this is a very personal view and in no way are the "others" in agreement or not with this nor do I need approval to voice my concern. I really am trying hard to like you because I really want to, but you make it so hard.

Well said man! We are a peaceful community though we rib each other from time to time, but we are respectful of each other none the less. You are new to this site brother and before you fling flaming arrows you should get to know us. I don't see where you've been attacked so in my opinion you shouldn't go to extremes but try to figure out how to make this work out in everyone's best interest.  I guess what I'm saying is, lighten up.

SparklePony

QuoteLonghorn - 7/17/2015  11:21 PM  . Best wishes on your entrepreneur endeavors.   By the way, what's the prize for this contest?

Since CTBlankenship saw fit to call me a "coward" in a PM he sent me and said that I should post my feelings publicly, I think I can answer your question.  The prize he's offering is a chance to buy cigars from him.  I'm not kidding.  He's "offering" cigars to the winner at only 50% of the normal markup.  I am uncertain how this constitutes a "prize," but then again I'm not always the brightest bulb.  I expressed my...skepticism to him, and it was in response to that comment that he called me a coward.  

The full prize message is quoted below so that others may make their own assessments. 

"An honorary member of the Winsor Cigar Club.  I am an authorized tobacco reseller ... which means I can purchase wholesale.  Any member can purchase a box of cigars at a nice discount.  Here is the math."  

"I can obtain An Ashton VSG Belicoso #1 (24. ct.) for $170.00 ... Neptune offers this same box for $233.00 ... $233 - $170 is $63.00 ... members can purchase the box for $170 + $33 or $203 (50% discount).  There are other benefits as well.  I also offer every product my wholesaler offers (lighters, humidors, cutters, etc.) ... the price calculation is the same." 

Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

SparklePony

P.S. I am many things...mostly a pineapple hat wearing flaming homosexual, but I am no coward.  My address is in my profile.  When you've gotten to 1,000 points on this site and can therefore see it, I welcome you to come visit me at your leisure so we may continue this discussion in person.
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Mojo66

"The Trojan Horse" seems like a more fitting name for that humidor now.

I'm sure to win with this one and I am psyched. A prize I have to pay for and then probably have to pay again to have shipped to me is exactly my kinda prize.

Longhorn

QuoteSparklePony - 7/17/2015  11:51 PM

Here is the math."  

"I can obtain An Ashton VSG Belicoso #1 (24. ct.) for $170.00 ... Neptune offers this same box for $233.00 ... $233 - $170 is $63.00 ... members can purchase the box for $170 + $33 or $203 (50% discount).  There are other benefits as well.  I also offer every product my wholesaler offers (lighters, humidors, cutters, etc.) ... the price calculation is the same." 

It must be that new math.  Original price is $233 and sale price is $203 - that's a 13% discount.  I'm pretty sure half of $233 is $166.50.

CT, you might want to lean in real close, I don't want anyone to hear: You've squandered a real opportunity to engage a community of great people who have a passion for cigars and related accessories.  And no, I don't speak for the community, so take this mano a mano.

~~~~~~~~~~

Let's rewind the events over the last few days, shall we? First a little back story for those playing along at home.

You used the idea of a fellow Geek to donate one of your humidors to a worthy cause (which would have given you very positive press among the members here) and then suggested that your kindness was so deep that someone should step up and help defray some of the costs.  That same Geek offered to do so (he's one of the most generous people you'll meet). Now, you can call me what you want, but there is one area in which I am an expert - logistics.  $75 to ship a humidor of the size you are making is nothing short of price gouging.

Fast forward a week or so - I reread the thread and feeling a bit uneasy about leaving someone on the hook to pay you for donating a humidor (albeit not the whole value), I post up to seek clarity - after all, you're the one boasting about "donating" a humidor.  In your response you state that our agreement still stands. Understanding you had me confused with the other Geek, I posted a very clear message about what I am comfortable with and what I am not as it pertains to a fundraiser that I am hosting and respectfully declined the offer to include your "donation" in this year's campaign.

You start two new threads, Toys for Tots plastered in the title, with links and information about Winsor humidors. One of which is a competition and the prize is yet another "donation" being extended to the community here - the winner gets to buy cigars from you at a 13% discount off of Neptune's prices.  A prize pack that lines your pockets... tied to Toys for Tots.

~~~~~~~~~~

I don't have exclusivity in fundraising for Toys for Tots and you have every right to conduct your fundraiser anyway you want... I prefer to not mix personal interests with a such a cause.  It tends to get a bit messy.

Kman

The problem, as I see it, is not that you wanted to come here to offer your wares for sale. I think I speak for most Geeks when I say that we all appreciate capitalism. What we don't appreciate, however, is someone who joins the forum acting as if he wants to be part of the community, when in reality, his only real purpose is to try to develop a business opportunity. Your entire introductory post, except for "hello", was a walking advertisement for your humidors. Half of your posts are an advertisement for your humidors. Not to mention the fact that your "contest" now turns out to be an opportunity for someone to give you business. I'd say I was surprised, but I'd be lying. Here's an idea... don't try and tell us you're here for the community, when it's obvious that is not your agenda. If you'd have joined as a retailer and wanted to get to know the community, that would have been one thing, but when someone enters acting as if they're here as a hobbyist and their true agenda shows through, then our radar kicks in. 

There are many retailers here on the site that participate as community members at times, but they are also up front about their true purpose for being here. You call this site a "profit desert". I think the retailers that come here would beg to differ. It's not that we don't spend money here, it's that we don't spend money here with people whose entire persona is disingenuous. 

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

05Venturer

". put it to a vote ... and kick me out of this community. "

In case anyone isn't certain what my vote is
Here ya go  :kickyou:  :kickyou:  :kickyou:

Go find another "desert" to sell in, because with your antics I'm sure that is what most places will be.  :loser:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

dddddmorgan

There is a cigar and wine expert in San Francisco who might be interested ;-)

Just saying...
Molon Labe!

05Venturer

Quotedddddmorgan - 7/18/2015  7:39 AM

There is a cigar and wine expert in San Francisco who might be interested ;-)

Just saying...
:lmao:  :lmao:  :bigthumbs:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

benchjockey

Every one of CT's posts, starting with his introduction, has, to me, read like a commercial for his wares. He clearly joined this site to test if there was money to be made here.
Brad (Longhorn), on the other hand, is one of the most generous members of a very generous site. CT the time has come for you to move on.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Jay'D

Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Brlesq

QuoteSparklePony - 7/17/2015  11:51 PM

An honorary member of the Winsor Cigar Club.  I am an authorized tobacco reseller ... which means I can purchase wholesale.  Any member can purchase a box of cigars at a nice discount.  Here is the math."  

See, THAT is exactly why I asked "What's the prize? earlier in this thread, because Mr. Blankenship has given off the feeling from the very start that he is here only to profit, and not really as the "hobbyist" he portrays himself so innocently to be. So now we learn that this "hobbyist" not only owns a business called Winsor Humidors, but a second business called Winsor Cigar Club.

And now we discover that the PRIZE is a chance to buy a discounted box of cigars from him where Mr. Blankenship makes 50% PROFIT OFF OF THAT PRIZE!  I got news for you pal, THAT is not how we operate here, so if you're looking for a "vote off the island", you've certainly got mine!  Maybe you can continue your similar charade over at Cigar Pass (where you've already received a cold reception to your tactics), but you will find that cigar communities are tight and word on your motives will spread quickly.

Finally, calling names or offending Longhorn and SparklePony isn't going to win you friends.  It's only going to get you more of those votes you asked for.  Maybe you should hit the reset button and start over.  We're a forgiving group for the most part, but that has to be your decision.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

sjn1117

Jay'D

Went to a boxing match and a hockey game broke out.... don't know whay that phrase popped into my head after reading this thread.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Mojo66

QuoteJay'D - 7/18/2015  11:14 AM  Went to a boxing match and a hockey game broke out.... don't know whay that phrase popped into my head after reading this thread.

I hadn't heard that expression and I love it. 

Oh, by the way, CT, if you choose to continue on you actual path, I forgot to add that I too would vote you off the Island if asked.

hennyis1

"Pull up dem lawnchairs and get the popcorn ready!"

Usually someone will post this before a topic or a thread is about to go down in flames and insults. It's sorta like a fistfight online but instead of using fists, the posters use words. Haha
----------------------------------------------------
Smoking stogies, drinking beer and whisky. Committed to my God, my family, and my country. Go Seahawks!!

Mojo66

Seems I won this contest, according the the Web site, with my "Eye of the Tiger" suggestion.

Hurray for me  :dancing:

StogieDad

QuoteMojo66 - 7/20/2015  12:21 PM

Seems I won this contest, according the the Web site, with my "Eye of the Tiger" suggestion.

Hurray for me  :dancing:

:lmao: Enjoy that opportunity there Sebastien :biggrin:
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.