Ashtray recommendations

Started by dddddmorgan, 07/20/2015 06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dddddmorgan

Since I finally scored a nice table for the patio I now need a cigar ashtray of course!

So I'm wondering what your experience is with an ashtray material that will happily sit outside in the weather?

Molon Labe!

horrido

I use a marble type ash tray from Cuba but I think it's more coral it's been outside for two years in all kinds of weather still working no cracks etc.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Longhorn

I'd suggest a nice ceramic or glass one.  The Big Stinky ash tray is great as long as you have somewhere to tuck it so it doesn't get wet regularly.

StogieDad

I have a couple of melamine ones, one is a Tatuaje and one is Crowned Heads.  Dropped them, rained on them, can't break em.  Good solutions for the porch, and inexpensive to boot.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

cavenbk

I have one of the small, single cigar Stinky ashtrays that lives outside. Now, it is under a roof, but still gets wet and is exposed to the elements. No problems with it at all yet, and its been outside for about a year and a half give or take
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

MacMac

I use a simple 4 cigar ashtray that came with a cigar sampler. It looks somewhat like this one.  It's weather proof, drop proof...pretty much indestructible.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Joelala

I use a larger Ashton one, can't even remember how I got it
Joe

nirab

Try looking at flea markets, antique shops, thrift stores. I find really cool, funky ceramic ones there. They look great, the price is cheap, they hold up to the weather, and if it breaks...time to search for another one.  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Cfickter

I don't like to use anything fancy for outside. In fact one of the ones I use is a CI smiley ashtray, ceramic, that cost me $5.  Is has sat outside for three years now.  Like Brad mentioned the Stinky ashtrays as great and can be had on CBid for about $15, but I have a concern using them in the winter outside as the freezing metal can damage a wrapper, especially near the cap when it is wet from smoking.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Mojo66

I use the Xikar Stair Step Ashtray for outside. Doesn't fear the rain or elements but of course, it's inside for the Winter. When I smoke outside in the winter, I use one of my stinkys.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

bmac7754

I use the ceramic Man O' War ashtray I picked up cheap on CBID. 

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Vroomp

This stainless steel ashtray by Visol looks the same as the day I bought it after being outside for almost three years!

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Longhorn

QuoteVroomp - 7/21/2015  3:21 PM

This stainless steel ashtray by Visol looks the same as the day I bought it after being outside for almost three years!

Nice.  How long did that cigar sit there?  :biggrin:

appollo

I just buy funky ones in Cuba nothing to pricey :-)

dddddmorgan

I like the melamine idea.

Ima keep my eyes peeled at junk stores and yard sales.
Molon Labe!

MacMac

You won't go wrong w/ a melamine tray....besides if you don't like it, you haven't spent much.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

toby2

i've had a stinky outside on the porch for years. it appears to be stainless. the deep bowl keeps the wind out of the ashes. those others look nice as well.

millarddj

I don't know if it helps, but I picked up a brand new blue melamine CAO four cigar ashtray for $5 on Thompson Cigar's auction subsite. Seemed a good deal for social smoking.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

plnortham

I posted in "General Cigar Discussion", a thread titled "Ashtray Inquiry".  Take a look at that thread and if you like one of the ashtrays let me know, send me a PM and I'll make you one.  Work out a trade.  I build them out of solid oak.  I stain them and then seal them with a poly.  It'll stand up to the elements.
Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.