What I like best about medium/med-full flavored cigars....

Started by hennyis1, 07/22/2015 03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hennyis1

Is that they pair so well with a variety of different alcoholic drinks.  

I prefer microbrewed beer that's golden brown or a tad darker in nature like ambers and IPAs.  For me these go hand in hand with the medium/med-full stogies I enjoy smoking.  
I also am a huge fan primarily of single malt whisky(ey) neatly poured preferably of an Irish origin.  My go-to Irish whiskey is Bushmills 10 year single malt as you can't beat the price and quality of it though I am a huge fan of Red Breast 12 year single malt which I keep usually keep a bottle of on hand.  
As far as scotch goes, I like Glenfiddich though I think the 12 year is actually better than the 21.  I like Macallan's 12 year and try to keep a bottle of that around too.
I like American bourbon but not as much as I do Irish whiskey but will not decline bourbon if offered. Bulleit rye is solid as is Maker's though I do enjoy Jim Beam from time to time.  I guess I'm not really picky when it comes to the darker liquors....  :thumbsup:

This weekend I'm going to be spending time with some buddies who share similar cigar and drinking tastes as me so I'm looking forward to see how well the smokes will pair with the drinks.  The cigars that are on the top of my list are as follows:

Aging Room Batch T112 robustos (though more of a med-full cig)
Oliva Series G Torpedos
Alec Bradley Family Blend GS57
La Fontana 2004 Vintage Verdi (mild so we'll see how it goes)

Some of the guys are bringing their own stashes so it'll be nice to try other stogies too.

Looking forward to this weekend!!  :beer:
----------------------------------------------------
Smoking stogies, drinking beer and whisky. Committed to my God, my family, and my country. Go Seahawks!!

headfirst

I tried my hand at hard liquor (scotch) and decided I'm just a beer and wine drinker.  I like how some med-full cigars pair with a good red that has a little zing to it.  I got how scotch pairs nicely with cigars when I tested the scotch waters, I just found I didn't enjoy the actual drink as much as beer or wine.

Enjoy your weekend man, always great fun when you can enjoy cigars with others that like cigars...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

hennyis1

Quoteheadfirst - 7/22/2015  4:46 PM

I tried my hand at hard liquor (scotch) and decided I'm just a beer and wine drinker.  I like how some med-full cigars pair with a good red that has a little zing to it.  I got how scotch pairs nicely with cigars when I tested the scotch waters, I just found I didn't enjoy the actual drink as much as beer or wine.

Enjoy your weekend man, always great fun when you can enjoy cigars with others that like cigars...

Yup, I was the same way too at first.  I couldn't stand generic scotch because of the harsh after-taste/burn.  I guess I just couldn't appreciate it then. BUT!  Irish whiskey is waaay more smooth and that is distinctive over it's Celtic cousin in my opinion.  To me, Irish whiskey is lighter, fruitier and goes down easily, perhaps too easily than it should.  haha
If you ever have a chance, try any 10+ aged Irish whiskey -Jameson, Bushmills, Red Breast are a few you can't go wrong with. Who knows? Maybe it'll be a liquor you can put up with.  ;)

As far as red wine, I have yet to pair some with my cigars. I prefer malbec and tempranillo wines or a good cab.
----------------------------------------------------
Smoking stogies, drinking beer and whisky. Committed to my God, my family, and my country. Go Seahawks!!

headfirst

Hmm, ok, I'll keep an open mind for Irish Whiskey, maybe that's the gentler transition I need to the harder stuff.  I found myself intentionally watering down the scotch with ice so that it would go down a little easier.

I like cab, merlot, and zin these days, partial to merlot mostly.  I've tasted some tempranillo at wine tastings but haven't really explored that variety much yet.  Reds that have a little bit of pepper bite to them can pair very nicely with a medium/full cigar IMO.  Speaking of, that's also what makes Barq's root beer a nice non-alcoholic choice, it has a little bit of bite to it that works nicely.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Chadboskie

there needs to be a site where I can enter my a cigar im about to smoke and it will pop up a few pairings for it. I usually pair my cigars with whatever is in my little cave fridge. But it always tastes good.

headfirst

I try to keep some notes in the humi if something paired well...
-Charles Spurgeon

headfirst

DRAM Cask seemed to be blended with the idea of "you drink this kind of scotch with this cigar we rolled".  The Smoking Monk line intrigues me for that very reason, drink this beer when you smoke this cigar, curious if anyone on this site has tried those with the recommended ales and what they thought...   :?:  :?:  :?:
-Charles Spurgeon

Brlesq

If you like Irish Whiskey, try Teeling.  Excellent to pair with cigars, about $35/bottle
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

dddddmorgan

QuoteBrlesq - 7/22/2015  7:13 PM  If you like Irish Whiskey, try Teeling.  Excellent to pair with cigars, about $35/bottle

X 2 on this!

Molon Labe!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.