Boutique Boom Over????????

Started by 05Venturer, 07/27/2015 12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Mojo66

Interesting read Kent, thanks for sharing.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

DonM

Interesting article but from my perspective it is distorted. I think more boutique cigars are talked about and smoked by members of this forum than the article talks. Sure, B&M 's stock the mainstream stuff, it is their bread and butter. I see more boutique cigars in our passes, and smoked on herfs than the 80/20 he talks

"The Curmudgeon"

Camshaft83

I have to agree with Don. What he is talking about I think pertains to B&M retailers which probably do fit into the 80/20 he's talking about. But I think he is leaving out the online retailers that sell lots of boutique cigars.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Longhorn

Interesting read... I don't the author captured all of the "go to" brands - Oliva and Ashton were clean misses and then you have a few guys that would probably hit in the second tier that are dominate - Tatuaje, Illusione, Drew Estate.

Jackal

QuoteCamshaft83 - 7/27/2015  1:55 PM

I have to agree with Don. What he is talking about I think pertains to B&M retailers which probably do fit into the 80/20 he's talking about. But I think he is leaving out the online retailers that sell lots of boutique cigars.

:word:

It is interesting that he listed a Padron, Fuente, Davidoff, Romeo y Julieta, Perdomo, Rocky Patel and La Flor Dominicana as the big selling retail brands in physical stores.  However, White Owl, Black and Mild, Dutch Masters, and Swisher also have huge market shares in Brick and Mortar retail (~47% market share in large cigars, and 64% in little cigars in 2014).  Of course, this doesn't fit into the narrative that he is spinning.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

johncw

QuoteDonM - 7/27/2015  3:49 PM

Interesting article but from my perspective it is distorted. I think more boutique cigars are talked about and smoked by members of this forum than the article talks. Sure, B&M 's stock the mainstream stuff, it is their bread and butter. I see more boutique cigars in our passes, and smoked on herfs than the 80/20 he talks

I would have to agree with Don as well. What moves me to boutique brands is they have a limited number of them and if I like them I'm more willing to purchase them before they are gone. Where as the mainstream cigars can be found daily on almost all cigar auction sites. The mainstream cigars are what is always at my B&Ms so I know I can always purchase them there as well if i'm out and about and need a cigar.

STL_Cohiba

I can see that somewhat considering Monte's and Macanudos I grew up on smoked them in HS and now you don't see too much press on them. In all reality its the marketing that is done that makes them sell along with feedback from the customers that smoke them.
"The only way to break a bad habit was to replace it with a better habit." Jack Nicholson, explaining why he switched from cigarettes to cigars" -Jack Nicholson

http://cigargeeks.com/humidor/default.asp?
action=humidor&member=STL%5FCohiba

toby2

Quotejohncw - 7/27/2015  5:26 PM  
QuoteDonM - 7/27/2015  3:49 PM  Interesting article but from my perspective it is distorted. I think more boutique cigars are talked about and smoked by members of this forum than the article talks. Sure, B&M 's stock the mainstream stuff, it is their bread and butter. I see more boutique cigars in our passes, and smoked on herfs than the 80/20 he talks
I would have to agree with Don as well. What moves me to boutique brands is they have a limited number of them and if I like them I'm more willing to purchase them before they are gone. Where as the mainstream cigars can be found daily on almost all cigar auction sites. The mainstream cigars are what is always at my B&Ms so I know I can always purchase them there as well if i'm out and about and need a cigar.

and they aren't trying to duplicate the same cigar over and over with different years crops. when it's gone it's gone and if you missed out you then better get to trading and scrounging etc.

plus what fun is there in the same old thing? i just pre-ordered a bunch of limited one off stuff from the trade show so it's still out there thankfully.    

appollo

DonM

Not to mention the off the radar cigars like Panacea Green, had one today!

"The Curmudgeon"

SparklePony

This article is written by the same guy who did four days of "investigating" in Cuba and decided that all Cuban cigars are the exact same, they're just sorted by color and size.  Looks like he's up to his old tricks here.
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

gitfiddl

Quite honestly, I was never enthralled by boutique cigars.  There are just too many.  I'd rather stick with established names I know and sound like a cigar name should.  I don't want a cigar that references the weight of a firearm or fried chicken.  

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

johncw

QuoteDonM - 7/27/2015  6:55 PM

Not to mention the off the radar cigars like Panacea Green, had one today!

:thumbsup:

Fran95

Hey cool a geek that's in Jacksonville (I go to UNF). I never really get cigars by small boutique companies either, mostly because a) I wouldn't know what to expect from it in terms of flavor/construction/overall unless I've seen a review from it and b) I would rather pick up a cigar that I would most likely enjoy based off what I have already heard about it. After all you are kind of making a bet of x amount of dollars that you are getting something you will like. 

Also, if you are referencing the "my uzi weighs a ton" the name is stupid or whatever but I think that's a pretty a good cigar. :confused:

SparklePony

I usually ask my Geek friends here for recommendations and that helps me narrow them down.  For example, The Angel's Anvil 2015 is great. Get some!
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

MacMac

Some of my favorite smokes are from Drew Estates, but many of the other cigars I'm liking are boutiques.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Longhorn

QuoteFran95 - 7/27/2015  9:15 PM

Hey cool a geek that's in Jacksonville (I go to UNF). I never really get cigars by small boutique companies either, mostly because a) I wouldn't know what to expect from it in terms of flavor/construction/overall unless I've seen a review from it and b) I would rather pick up a cigar that I would most likely enjoy based off what I have already heard about it. After all you are kind of making a bet of x amount of dollars that you are getting something you will like. 

Also, if you are referencing the "my uzi weighs a ton" the name is stupid or whatever but I think that's a pretty a good cigar. :confused:

DonM is close to you too. You should be able to catch him on a herf...  :-)

cajun600

interesting read, thanks for sharing.

Vroomp

Sounds like a bummer for David Garafalo since he owns or distributes lines such as Atabay, Byron, and now Kilo which would all be considered boutique brands by his standards and he has a lot invested in these lines.
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Cfickter

QuoteVroomp - 7/28/2015  6:43 AM  Sounds like a bummer for David Garafalo since he owns or distributes lines such as Atabay, Byron, and now Kilo which would all be considered boutique brands by his standards and he has a lot invested in these lines.

Sorry, I am like Sparklepony & Vroomp.  I listen to his podcasts and he mostly is pushing brands he sells, which is fine.  BUt when he went on the Cuban trip he was with Skip Marten and didn't know who he was!  

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

gitfiddl

QuoteFran95 - 7/27/2015  9:15 PM

I'm just 15-20 minutes from UNF.  I live in Arlington off of Merrill Road, maybe 5 miles from JU.  If you ever run low on your "school stash", hit me up.

But back to my comment, I was indeed referring to the MUWAT and KFC cigars. I'd still rather have a good ole fashioned Fuente (you pick), a Partagas Black, or even a 5 Vegas Classic than half the "boutique" cigars I've smoked.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

horrido

Thanks for the read its interesting to see this since in T.O there is a family run cigar rolling shop and they get tobacco from Cuba and roll their own blend somewhat expensive but good. I don't see them dissappearing any time soon.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Ol' Times CIgars

I can see the 80/20 split as the big boys out sell much of the boutique brands here, but the boutique brands still see (he did miss a few bigger names as pointed out). A lot of the boutique brands are still associated with a larger more recognized company anyway. Look at Tatuaje, AJ Fernandez makes something for everyone, Viaje, etc. They have smaller names and have less recognition, but they are still sought after. It depends on the brand, Tatuaje is a recognizable boutique and it will sell however Don whatshisface cigars aren't known at all and probably won't sell unless someone puts them in your hand and then they would have to be the best cigar you've ever smoked (very unlikely).

I think the difference is that on a forum like this is that all of you members have a little more passion/view it as more of a hobby and like to try the stuff that isn't an everyday brand so you see a lot more boutique brands talked about here than you might in a small B&M. I would also imagine that most B&Ms are too small to carry many of the boutique brands so they stick to what people know and recognize. Many first timers or people new to cigars focus more on a recognizable brand and it isn't until they talk to a B&M, read a few magazines, online posts, or articles that they start to branch out.

I would say he is right for a majority of B&Ms, but because the majority are very small shops with limited space/facings. The boutique boom isn't over, it may slow down, but that's as far as its gone. Every year at the IPCPR there countless new brands trying to break into the market. Most of them don't make it, but there are plenty more waiting to try the next year. The trend amoung consumers is "what's new?" They may not get a following and die off but a lot of cigar enthusiast want to try the next "best" thing.

I would compare it closely to the world of beer drinkers. You have your bud, miller, coors, etc. drinkers and then you have everyone else that enjoys a good craft beer and wants to try something new and different.
www.oltimescigars.com
Great cigars at great prices!

The Burn Ward

A humidor with 6-7 brands would be pretty boring and probably wouldn't have much business.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.