Hygrometer Calibration Success

Started by 05Venturer, 08/09/2015 07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

QuoteJay'D - 8/12/2015  4:16 PM

Quotentanner - 8/10/2015  9:03 PM

QuoteJay'D - 8/10/2015  1:31 PM

My thing is, what if you test them in 80+ degrees temp, are they still supposed to read 75% humidity? what difference will it make if the temp is higher than the 75 degrees they recommend testing it at?
If you get a good reading on the salt test then it should be close enough for you're humidor. You are correct that changing the environment the hygrometer is in changes everything else. The 75% reading in a closed airtight container at a different temp. then the humidor it will be in is going to skew the accuracy some but it should be close enough for you to be confident in it. if you stay at 65%RH and it's of a point or two you are still between 63 and 67 which is a decent RH range to be in.
Well my two humidors are reading around 66% in one and 68% in the other between 80 and 88 degress temp in both depending on the time of day... i just get me a coolador going and I have in some 69% beads but this new hygrometer i just got is reading 71%. I'm thinking it might be off so I'm going to switch it up with another and see what the reading says. It shouldbe be saying 71% since the beads are new as well and i didnt soak them down with distilled water so they shoudlnt even be at 69%. Have to remember to check later today since i made the switch coulpe days ago. Man i swear this high ass temp living in the islands can be a pain in the ass at times. :angry:  :angry:

IMO anything over 75 degrees with 70 % RH is asking for beetle infestation IMO. Most Mfr's freeze their cigars but that doesnt eliminate the possibility of getting them. I would recommend getting the temp down to 75 or under. Another option is placing a frozen ice container in a plastic bag to get the temp down. Anything over 75 degrees is a bit high and increases the chances of beetles

"The Curmudgeon"

DonM

Update on the Hygrometer experiment:

Brand new in the box, rectangular hygrometer  reads 68% on a salt test.  Talk about junk!  Xikar really screwed the pooch when they went to non adjustable hygrometers IMO.  Kind of wish I hadn't bought it.  Back to Xikar it goes

"The Curmudgeon"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.