Cigars for Troops - 2015

Started by nwb, 08/19/2015 06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danb6177

Nice man. I'm in for this.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

RDF

I'm definitely in again. Thanks for putting this all together and the work involved to handle the logistics.
HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

nwb

Quotenwb - 8/19/2015  10:22 PM

7th Annual Cigars for Troops Drive

It's that time of year again! Even though the holiday season is a couple months away, starting early will give everyone who wants to participate time to send a care package. Here are the previous years' threads:

2010 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=5894.0
2011 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=9907.0
2012 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=15038.0
2013 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=25603.0
2014 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=29268.0

Historic Donations
2010 -   525 Cigars
2011 -   587 Cigars
2012 -   676 Cigars
2013 - 1,343 Cigars
2014 - 1,617 Cigars

The basic rules:

*The cutoff will be October 31st for getting packages/donations in the mail to me. This will allow me enough time to get them shipped and the soldiers receive them before the holidays.  Please note that my mailing address has changed since last year; please PM me for it.

*This is open to anyone, whether you are a vet or newbie.  The more the merrier! This is your chance to get that coveted "Troop Supporter" badge.

*Send as many cigars as you would like. Even a fiver will make a difference. Cutters and/or matches would also be appreciated, as well as sealed pipe tobacco, pipes, pipe cleaners, etc. Please, no lighters – I'm trying to avoid any problems with USPS.

*Cigars with cellophane travel better.  However, if you have cigars without cellophane, feel free to send them.  Any donations of 5/6 finger bags is also appreciated.

*Packages can be drop shipped to me from vendors.  Members have done this in years past with success.

*Please PM me if you send a package. I'd like to avoid boxes sitting on my doorstep in case I'm traveling.

*I will keep a running list of those that have expressed interest along with if I received the package. If you commit to donating early on and decide it can't be done, no harm, no foul.

*Paul (SenorPablo) has generously offered to cover all shipping costs.  Thanks Paul!

Last year, I created a virtual humidor with all the cigars. Depending on the response, I might do that again this year.  For those of you who keep track of your cigars in the virtual humidor or excel, providing a list of the donated cigars when you send them helps a LOT in this effort.

One other note: if you know of a group deployed oversees, especially in an area of conflict, please nominate them by sending me a PM.  We typically send 3-4 packages, so I'd like to spread the wealth.

As always, feel free to post any questions!

:bump: for the guidelines.
Chief of Shaft

nwb

QuoteKman - 8/20/2015  2:42 PM

Quotemillarddj - 8/20/2015  2:14 PM  Are there any guidelines for this? Do you usually buy well-priced "everyday cigars" to send over? Send your extras? Purchase big packs/boxes and send the whole lot?

It's really however you want to do it Daniel. Going on the basis that everyone has different tastes and everyone is at a different experience level, there is really nothing you couldn't send. It's all a matter of what you feel comfortable with. 

The first year that I did this, I really didn't have much of a stock, so I purchased some cigars online and had them delivered directly to Nathan. The last 2 years, I've gone to Cigarfest where you received 100+ different cigars from different brands. So last year, I made a package of the cigars from the event that I wasn't planning to smoke and some others I had sitting in the humidor. I plan to do the same thing this year with my event cigars and a little humidor cleaning.

Great advice from Kerry.  Send what you are comfortable sending; we get donations with yardgars to super premiums and everything in between.
Chief of Shaft

nwb

05Venturer
appollo
bmac7754
Brlesq
cavenbk
Cfickter
clami
danb6177
DonM
Jackal
johncw
junglepete
Kman
lubrix
millarddj
ninfiction
nirab
RDF
STL_Cohiba
StogieDad
terrys1991
toby2
Vroomp
Chief of Shaft

Longhorn

Quotenwb - 8/20/2015  9:10 PM

05Venturer
appollo
bmac7754
Brlesq
cavenbk
Cfickter
clami
danb6177
DonM
Jackal
johncw
junglepete
Kman
lubrix
millarddj
ninfiction
nirab
RDF
STL_Cohiba
StogieDad
terrys1991
toby2
Vroomp

You're missing "Longhorn"   :cry:

SparklePony

I'll be in this year.  Fun fun!
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Jackal

Quotenwb - 8/20/2015  6:10 PM

QuoteKman - 8/20/2015  2:42 PM

Quotemillarddj - 8/20/2015  2:14 PM  Are there any guidelines for this? Do you usually buy well-priced "everyday cigars" to send over? Send your extras? Purchase big packs/boxes and send the whole lot?

It's really however you want to do it Daniel. Going on the basis that everyone has different tastes and everyone is at a different experience level, there is really nothing you couldn't send. It's all a matter of what you feel comfortable with. 

The first year that I did this, I really didn't have much of a stock, so I purchased some cigars online and had them delivered directly to Nathan. The last 2 years, I've gone to Cigarfest where you received 100+ different cigars from different brands. So last year, I made a package of the cigars from the event that I wasn't planning to smoke and some others I had sitting in the humidor. I plan to do the same thing this year with my event cigars and a little humidor cleaning.

Great advice from Kerry.  Send what you are comfortable sending; we get donations with yardgars to super premiums and everything in between.

Most of these guys are not highly experienced cigar smokers, so I would avoid sending any of those super full bodied, ligero heavy, sticks that would knock out a buffalo.   :meansmoke:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

headfirst

When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

horrido

Hey just wondering what area in the world do the sticks go? Sign me up are they allowed isoms?
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

terrys1991

Got package ready to drop off at PO

USPS Tracking  

"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

MacMac

i'm in! I like the drop ship idea!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

nwb

Quotehorrido - 8/22/2015  2:01 AM
Hey just wondering what area in the world do the sticks go? Sign me up are they allowed isoms?

In the past, we've sent to deployed groups in Afghanistan, Egypt, and Iraq.  I've sent small quantities of ISOMs in the past, but as always when sending cigars to the US and then again to US troops, there is always a risk.
Chief of Shaft

nwb

05Venturer
appollo
bmac7754
Brlesq
cavenbk
Cfickter
clami
danb6177
DonM
headfirst
horrido
Jackal
johncw
junglepete
Kman
Longhorn
lubrix
MacMac
millarddj
ninfiction
nirab
RDF
SparklePony
STL_Cohiba
StogieDad
terrys1991 - 9405803699300054940185
toby2
Vroomp
Chief of Shaft

millarddj

I will probably do one shipment in early/mid October, judging by my schedule over the next month or so. I don't have a ton in my own humi, but I hope to donate about 20 for the cause.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

SmokeBlue2

Please add me to the list ... will you PM address to ship the sticks to?
Charlie ... hailing from California's Great Central Valley!

"I love my cigar, too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while." -Groucho Marx
"I choose to believe Groucho said that to someone, somewhere, sometime." -Charlie

SenorPablo

Thanks for running this again Nathan.  I'll be sending something in.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

nwb

QuoteSmokeBlue2 - 8/23/2015  7:08 AM

Please add me to the list ... will you PM address to ship the sticks to?

PM sent.
Chief of Shaft

toby2

going out Monday 9405803699300055225298

horrido

Quotenwb - 8/22/2015  7:15 PM

Quotehorrido - 8/22/2015  2:01 AM

In the past, we've sent to deployed groups in Afghanistan, Egypt, and Iraq.  I've sent small quantities of ISOMs in the past, but as always when sending cigars to the US and then again to US troops, there is always a risk.

Thanks for heads up.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Kid Montana

I definitely have stuff to send, both swag and cigars.

I'd rather have a cigar...

nwb

05Venturer
appollo
bmac7754
Brlesq
cavenbk
Cfickter
clami
danb6177
DonM
headfirst
horrido
Jackal
johncw
junglepete
Kid Montana
Kman
Longhorn
lubrix
MacMac
millarddj
ninfiction
nirab
RDF
SenorPablo
SmokeBlue2
SparklePony
STL_Cohiba
StogieDad
terrys1991 - 9405803699300054940185
toby2 - 9405803699300055225298
Vroomp
Chief of Shaft

ebernabe

I'll get some stuff to you this year.

Mojo66

You know I'm in, let's see if we can surpass last year's tally :bigthumbs:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

clami

On the way - 9405503699300128755645

Thanks again for putting this together.  Printed list is included with cigars. 

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.