From the M*A*S*H episode"Fade Out, Fade In:" COL. POTTER: Cigar? RADAR: Will it stunt my growth? COL. POTTER: Whattya got to loose? RADAR: Is it Habit forming? COL. POTTER: Nah, I've smoked 5 cigars a day and never got the habit! RADAR: That's good to know! (After lighting cigars, Radar makes a puzzled look) COL POTTER: Nothin' like a good cigar on a clear morning! RADAR: Or Cream of Wheat. Later, Radar was found over the hill, sick from his first cigar...

Main Menu

Wifi Monitoring Sensors

Started by ThinBlueLine, 10/24/2015 07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STL_Cohiba

Man I really like this setup. I will definitely look into this
"The only way to break a bad habit was to replace it with a better habit." Jack Nicholson, explaining why he switched from cigarettes to cigars" -Jack Nicholson

http://cigargeeks.com/humidor/default.asp?
action=humidor&member=STL%5FCohiba

Ted

OK, looking for recommendation/ideas from others using the tags. Got mine using the promo code above (don't bother emailing about promo codes, I got a one word reply of "no").

First off, Android interface help. I was really hoping for a single screen that would allow me to see temp and RH of all tags like the image in the OP (iOS seems to have better view). Instead I get this...

Which is really NOT what I wanted. At best I have to open each tag and then I can't see the status of all devices at once...

So using the sharing feature, I pasted the embed code into a single HTML file that I load on my phone. Refreshing that gives me...

Not ideal, since I actually have to zoom in to get that view and styles aren't working to automatically zoom. I also can't add to the desktop, so have to keep a bookmark in Chrome (Internet Browser app won't open iframes). At this point, I'm really not happy with available interface options in the app. Any other workarounds or maybe hidden screens I haven't found yet?

Also the web interface works great in Chrome, sucks in Firefox. Login/out function is horribly buggy under Firefox, and it would not accept the serial number when I initially tried to register. Could only register via the phone app. At this point I'd have to grade the device about a C- on usability, basically because monitoring ease of use is really bad (IMO). If any other users have tips 'n tricks I would LOVE to try them. At this point I'm kind of regretting the purchase.

Ted

OK, setting help?!

The batteries on my tags dropped 3% over approximately a 12 hour period. This means I'll need to replace the batteries twice per month. Is anyone else having this problem? I've set the following to try and help...

Receiver Mode: Low Power
Humidity Response Time: Slow
Check Temperature: Every 5 minutes
All Notifications: Disabled
All Motion: Disarmed

Any other settings I am missing?!?! 2 of my sensors are now at 96% battery life, and they were powered on for the first time at 100% about 15 hours ago.

ThinBlueLine

Mine are at 94% since I installed them...just so you know batteries often drop several points after first couple hours and then should maintain from their on...I bet they hold
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

ThinBlueLine

I only use my iOS on my phone and it's awesome...so toss your junk phone and get an Apple

Ted

Last question for the moment! Did anyone find they had to calibrate their tags? I'm seeing a 2ยบ differential between tags, and they are all in the same small Boveda calibration bag. Reset them a few minutes ago with something to hold the plastic away from the sensor holes in case that was causing the 3-4% differential I was seeing in RH. Will let sit for another 24 hours and then calibrate, but was just wondering what differential swing other might be seeing from the factory.

Maybe my expectations are too high, but I was kind of assuming the more money you spent, the more likely it was for a device to be accurately calibrated at the factory. My new Cigar Oasis Magna was reporting 2% low on RH, and these seem to be off a bit as well. Glad I always test, and will never buy a product I can't calibrate.

Ted

QuoteThinBlueLine - 1/15/2016  12:06 PM  Mine are at 94% since I installed them...just so you know batteries often drop several points after first couple hours and then should maintain from their on...I bet they hold

Good to know! Thank you!

Ted

QuoteThinBlueLine - 1/15/2016  12:07 PM  I only use my iOS on my phone and it's awesome...so toss your junk phone and get an Apple

Not good to know! No thank you!

:biggrin:  

ThinBlueLine

I didn't calibrate mine...they matched up to the Xikar units I already had calibrated in my humidor.  How do you calibrate these?

Ted

QuoteThinBlueLine - 1/15/2016  12:27 PM  I didn't calibrate mine...they matched up to the Xikar units I already had calibrated in my humidor.  How do you calibrate these?

Under the advanced section for humidity sensor options. Haven't set yet, but it looks like two of mine are looking about 3% low. Will give them 24 hours in the bag before calibrating. I do like the graphs a lot. Will help determine when the tags have reached a plateau.

EDIT:

Graph works in Chrome, but I can't get it to show up in Firefox. :(

Cool Graph

ThinBlueLine

Hmmmm...I don't see that

Ted

Hmmm. I wonder what is happening every 30 minutes?

ThinBlueLine

I see it now I have never used the web based in chrome...thanks Ted

ThinBlueLine

Ted

QuoteThinBlueLine - 1/15/2016  12:47 PM  Hmmmm...I don't see that

I can't get the graph to open in Firefox, but if I copy the link to Chrome it works perfectly.

Ted

QuoteThinBlueLine - 1/15/2016  12:49 PM  You got fans in there?

Not yet...

This is where they will be going. Still working on getting it ready. Currently going with 2 sets of AC Infinity fans. May add another pair after I get everything sealed up tight. Seasoning right now. Just the Magna and a pair of humicare hygros (calibrated for a few days before putting in). Still have to replace the outlet it came with and add some weatherstripping. Holds better than before reversing the door, but still loose at the bottom and around the outlet.

Camshaft83

That is a nice tower.  :bigthumbs:
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Ted

QuoteCamshaft83 - 1/15/2016  2:00 PM  That is a nice tower.  :bigthumbs:

Thanks. Would have preferred a Staebell, but at almost 1/3 the cost I'm willing to deal with the imperfections. Just thrilled to be getting out of the coolidors!

ninfiction

That is a gorgeous humidor.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

terrys1991

:bigthumbs: Very Nice! Keep us posted on your progress
"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

Ted

Thanks guys. Figured I'd put up a review post after I'm done with it. Had a ton of questions about the unit that were only answered after getting it. Heck, I couldn't even find interior dimensions online for it.

Ted

OK, now that the enviro is normalizing, I'm starting to have a lot more fun with these tags. I'm constantly checking out the statistics on these, looking to see how stable the new humidor is. It looked very stable since the last time I opened the door last night until I noticed this pattern that appears to have started about 10AM. The lower sensor (humidifier location) is showing an increase in RH, while the middle (humidifier control location) and upper sensor are showing a decrease in RH.

Looking at the temp statistics, 10AM is about the same time I'm seeing a temperature increase in all 3 zones.

Interesting to see the increase in temperature cause the RH to drop in the middle and upper zones, while it increases in the lower zone as the humidifier kicks on! Will be interested to see how this looks over a 48-72 hour period. Although tough to go that long without opening the door! Have more fans coming tomorrow and a plug adapter to make room for my remote control unit. Can't wait to pull the surge protector out of the cabinet.

At this point, I am much happier with these!

Ted

Oh, I should mention that these might be a little overboard. I find myself trying to find causes for patterns like the ones above, which are only a 0.2% change in RH. This is something I would never have noticed before. Now I have a way to track improvements I make (whether it be fan speed, placement, number, weatherstripping around the door, silicone around the outlet, etc.) to an absurd level I hadn't dreamed of before!

:dancing:

nirab

Where did you get that light?
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.