5 Vegas Classic Robusto -- unsmokable hard draw

Started by calvarez, 12/06/2009 09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calvarez

Did I just get a bad stick?  The draw on this was so hard I gave up.  Just not enjoyable.  With three hard puffs I could barely get a little smoke going.  The taste seemed like it would be decent if it was smokable.  I really like the 5 Vegas Gold and find they have a light draw, so I expected much better from this one.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

gitfiddl

I vote for a bad stick.  I've never had a poorly constructed 5 Vegas cigar.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

kylepwhalen

Yeah I vote bad stick too-I'm a huge fan of 5 Vegas and don't have problems with draw so yours seems very unusual

BlackIrish

Toss it and try another.  They're usually pretty reliable smokes.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Jackal

5 Vegas classics have always been a consistently good smoke for me.  I think that you just got a bad stick.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Anthony

Quotegitfiddl - 12/6/2009  11:24 AM

I vote for a bad stick.  I've never had a poorly constructed 5 Vegas cigar.

Yes, what he said /\
_____

lowpro75

Ditto.  Sorry I didn't add much to the conversation. :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

gitfiddl

Too late perhaps, but did you try to salvage it by running a straightened paperclip through it?  I've seen devices sold for the same purpose, but I can't see spending the money on them when I've got paperclips and 'plain' guitar strings laying around...
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Anthony

Quotegitfiddl - 12/6/2009  7:06 PM

Too late perhaps, but did you try to salvage it by running a straightened paperclip through it?  I've seen devices sold for the same purpose, but I can't see spending the money on them when I've got paperclips and 'plain' guitar strings laying around...

Good advice! I've used the pointy thing on my pipe tool for a couple of tight-drawing cigars, though usually I find a plugged cigar is beyond help.
_____

gitfiddl

QuoteAnthony - 12/6/2009  7:13 PM

Good advice! I've used the pointy thing on my pipe tool for a couple of tight-drawing cigars, though usually I find a plugged cigar is beyond help.

I've never been unable to unplug a cigar with a piece of wire.  You have to be careful with smaller ring sizes so you don't go through the wrapper.  I run it through the center.  If that doesn't fix it, then I do three more in a triangle around that.  I'll be damned if I'm gonna toss a cigar I paid a whole dollar for! :biggrin: Seriously, it works!

lowpro75

Quotegitfiddl - 12/6/2009  7:26 PM

QuoteAnthony - 12/6/2009  7:13 PM

I've never been unable to unplug a cigar with a piece of wire.  You have to be careful with smaller ring sizes so you don't go through the wrapper.  I run it through the center.  If that doesn't fix it, then I do three more in a triangle around that.  I'll be damned if I'm gonna toss a cigar I paid a whole dollar for! :biggrin: Seriously, it works!
I use a wooden kabab skewer.  It works great.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

calvarez

QuoteToo late perhaps, but did you try to salvage it by running a straightened paperclip through it?
No, it had been a long week and I was ready for a Scotch and a smoke on the patio, not solving another problem.  If it happens again I'll try to be more patient and give that a shot.

The first 1/3 of the cigar felt normal/soft, and the last 1/3 was hard and felt...hard to describe, but like there were sticks in it.  I'm sure there weren't, it just felt like there were ribs of some sort.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll buy another to try at some point.  As much as I like the Gold, I expected to like this one.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.