Welcome New Members!

Started by Administrator, 05/26/2007 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Administrator

Hi all new members.  Please take a moment to introduce yourself here.  Where are you from, how long ya been smokin, and what are you faves?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-
My original signature.

larryd

Hi, I'm a long time cigar and pipe smoker, I mostly smoke cigars now though.  I live in a small town, Sechelt (near Vancouver), on the coast of BC, Canada; where my wife and I moved to last year when I retired.  My everyday cigar is a cigar made by Nino Vasquez, hand rolled in the Dominican Republic.  It's a Taino Toro Grand Maduro and I also smoke the Taino Toro Grand Connecticut occasionally.  I buy these in bundles of 25, they are a 6inX54ring.  The Maduro is a medium body smoke and the Connecticut is a medium-mild body smoke.  I smoke them when I go hiking with my best bud, Barron a black standard Poodle pup of 14 mths.  We usually hike for about two hours.  The Taino's are excellent for taking along on the hikes as they last two hours.  They are reasonably priced at about $40. to $50. for a bundle.  I have just recently started collecting other cigars and have recently purchased CAO MX2 Gordo and Don Tomas Corojo 660 last month and this month ordered Alec Bradley Maxx The Freak and Gran Habano Corojo#5 Imperiales.  In the past I use to smoke Astral Maestros, Astral Besos, Don Tomas coronas,Don Tomas President, Don Tomas Robustos and Don Tomas Coronitas.  When I was a beginner cigar smoker (started in early teens as a dabbler) I smoked such cigars as Old Port Cigarillos, Old Port Coronas, Dutch Master, El Producto, and White Owl Coronas.  My apologies, I didn't mean to go on so long. :biggrin:

ljlemer

Quotelarryd - 11/26/2007  11:49 PM
When I was a beginner cigar smoker (started in early teens as a dabbler) I smoked such cigars as Old Port Cigarillos, Old Port Coronas, Dutch Master, El Producto, and White Owl Coronas.   :biggrin:

So glad you outgrew that phase. Welcome to the group from another Larry. Cold up there?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

larryd

Yeah, some of them still give me fond memories, back in the mid 60's they weren't that bad.
I like the stuff I'm smoking now much better though. :-)

larryd

Sorry, I didn't mention the weather, funny you should ask as it was snowing earlier.  I just took a look outside and it's stopped for now.  It doesn't bother me much as I kind of enjoy shoveling the stuff.  I have a 4X4 truck and a Subaru Out Back for the wife.

Thanks for the Welcome!!!

ljlemer

Quotelarryd - 11/27/2007  12:57 AM

Yea, some of them still give me fond memories, back in the mid 60's they weren't that bad.
I like the stuff I'm smoking now much better though. :-)

I recall the Candela-wrapped Bering cigars I smoked most of the time when I was broke. They're gone. I also recall my favorite, which was the original and genuinely Jamaican Royal Jamaica. I also liked Rio Minho and Canary Island cigars. All are gone or counterfeited now. I'm 56.

Thomas Mann

larryd

Up here the Gov't taxed most of the cigar company's out of business and what's available is priced out of this world.  I'm 55 years old.

ljlemer

Quotelarryd - 11/27/2007  2:15 AM

Up here the Gov't taxed most of the cigar company's out of business and what's available is priced out of this world.  I'm 55 years old.

Down here it looks like sooner or later the same will happen to us.

Thomas Mann

larryd

You know, I guess those politicians would rather have all those South American countries growing illegal drug plants instead of tobacco.  On the other hand, once cigars are illegal we will have to buy from the Cigar Pushers, maybe it will be cheaper.  Up here I think it's cheaper to buy marijuana  then a case of beer!!!  I don't smoke the stuff, but if young kids can afford it, it can't be to expensive.

Proph

Maybe the CIA will be the biggest cigar dealers then.. like they are the biggest drug dealers.  Hehe..  Good times..

(fact btw)
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

tnt956

Welcome to the site, Larry!

qman22

Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

monteclaro

Welcome to the site Larry!
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

theoldcc

"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

SenorPablo

Anther Larry?  We're being overcome by Larrys.   :biggrin:  Welcome to Cigar Geeks!

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

ljlemer

Quotelarryd - 11/27/2007  3:06 AM

once cigars are illegal we will have to buy from the Cigar Pushers, maybe it will be cheaper.  Up here I think it's cheaper to buy marijuana  then a case of beer!!!  I don't smoke the stuff, but if young kids can afford it, it can't be to expensive.

That depends on enforcement. No illegal drug I know of is cheaper than if it were legal. Marijuana in Canada is an exception. It's not imported. It's grown locally and it's practically decriminalized. Cuban cigars are, of course, illegal here. When you can get them they cost a small fortune, like any other illegal and smuggled product.

Thomas Mann

NewGuy

Rack

"Man is not an island"

larryd

Well I was being a little tongue and cheek, but the fact is up here the Gov't. uses tobacco and liquor as an excuse to tax the crap out of us.  They call it a "Sin Tax" up here.  I don't know the cost of illegal drugs but it costs me about $50.00 for a 24 case of beer.  Actually it's not just drugs that the courts do almost nothing about, it's all criminal activity that gets a slap on the wrist.  Up until the last couple of years we had left wing political party's running the show and as a result we have extremely liberal judges.  The other unfortunate result is that liberal Gov'ts. also tax everything they can and then misspend the money.

Look at what Clinton tried to do to Cigars in the US. Another left wing nut, at least she's yours, we have enogh here already!!!

Quoteljlemer - 11/27/2007  2:45 PM

Quotelarryd - 11/27/2007  3:06 AM

once cigars are illegal we will have to buy from the Cigar Pushers, maybe it will be cheaper.  Up here I think it's cheaper to buy marijuana  then a case of beer!!!  I don't smoke the stuff, but if young kids can afford it, it can't be to expensive.

That depends on enforcement. No illegal drug I know of is cheaper than if it were legal. Marijuana in Canada is an exception. It's not imported. It's grown locally and it's practically decriminalized. Cuban cigars are, of course, illegal here. When you can get them they cost a small fortune, like any other illegal and smuggled product.

larryd

Enough on politics, I want to thank everyone for the nice welcome and I usually don't go on this much.  I'm mostly an observer, must be a change of life thing going on.

All this talking has made me feel like a nice cigar.

mhuss

Welcome to the site, Larry!  I like the Don Diego Maduro Grande a lot!  I wonder if the one you smoke by Nino Vasquez is about the same, or even better!  I'll have to look into whether or not I can get my hands on some of those.  Again, welcome aboard!

larryd

QUOTE]mhuss - 11/27/2007  8:42 PM

Welcome to the site, Larry!  I like the Don Diego Maduro Grande a lot!  I wonder if the one you smoke by Nino Vasquez is about the same, or even better!  I'll have to look into whether or not I can get my hands on some of those.  Again, welcome aboard!
[/QUOTE]

I'm probably not the one to ask as I'm just venturing out into the world of new cigar tastes.  The Taino Classics that I smoke daily are pretty mild.  I mostly smoke the Maduro as I find it has a more interesting and robust flavour.  I mostly keep the Connecticut wrapped cigars for the odd guest who isn't a real or regular cigar smoker as it is milder then the Maduro.  Both are very good cigars at a very reasonable price.  You can go right to Nino Vasquez site and see all their selection and buy direct or go to Absolute Cigars where I buy them by the bundle.  Hope this is of some help.

mhuss

Quotelarryd - 11/28/2007  1:10 AM
You can go right to Nino Vasquez site and see all their selection and buy direct or go to Absolute Cigars where I buy them by the bundle.  Hope this is of some help.

The Don Diego Maduro is pretty mild itself, but very, very flavorful.  I will have to check that site out and see if/when I can get my hands on a few.  Thanks for the info.  It certainly does help out!

larryd

Hey....Your very welcome!

Sticks

Hi Larry and welcome to the group. What are your thoughts on the politics of tobacco? Just kidding. :biggrin:  Yeah, I am enjoying the good stuff (cigars) until they tax them so high that we can't afford them. Looking forward to your reviews.

guille

Hello everybody: Im from Bs.As. Argentina, and had been a non smoker my whole life, until one year ago when i did try a Partagas. Since then i do smoke when i can. Now im 50, and am just an amateur in this field by now. Im just learning, so long have smoked bad ones and some good ones. One i liked most is a Mario Palomino double corona, from Jamaica. Happy New Year for all of you!...See you.-

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.